UKC

Lakes conditions 14-01-2016

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 paulh.0776 15 Jan 2016
A trip to Blencathra on Thurs to see how conditions are shaping up showed that while there has been a nice dump of white powder it's not consolidated yet and the strong winds were blowing it around. The turf was still soft and still needs time to firm up, so we may have to be very selective about routes and be patient for a little thaw and a hard freeze. Great weekend forecast for a winter walk, or a ridge scramble though...

a few images at:

http://paulhorsmanphotographer.blogspot.co.uk/
 Scarab9 15 Jan 2016
In reply to paulh.0776:

Off for striding edge tomorrow then possibly sharp edge Sunday so sounds like we'll have a good day or two
OP paulh.0776 15 Jan 2016
In reply to Scarab9:

Thats sounds like a good plan......try going up Halls Fell ridge then descending down to Scales Tarn then back up Sharp Edge for a great Alpine day out ..enjoy
 Scarab9 15 Jan 2016
In reply to paulh.0776:

I'll check that out thanks
 Tom the tall 15 Jan 2016
In reply to paulh.0776:

Good pics on Keswick MRT's facebook page of the snow at Esk Hause, during a rescue last night. Plenty of snow about, and cold again tonight.
 wercat 15 Jan 2016
In reply to Scarab9:

If you do Sharp Edge then traverse the summits you'll see some quite nice snow formations facing the A66, and you can even step down safely at certain points where there is good ground below to take a shot along the cornices.
 DSM 15 Jan 2016
A nocturnal ascent of Coniston Old Man on Thursday night revealed huge quantities of unconsolidated fresh snow (waist deep in places!) from Wednesday night's brief downpour. There's been some potential thaw & then more snow/hail/rain today (Friday/15) & it will be cold tonight. The deep snow won't be particularly safe & I doubt there's much/any ice buildup so please take care for all the usual reasons.

DSM

stouffer 15 Jan 2016
In reply to paulh.0776:

Also thinking of a Sharp / Striding Edge double bill, any other less obvious options worth considering? Jack's Rake?
 Scarab9 15 Jan 2016
In reply to stouffer:

We've cleverly realised getting from the hostel in Keswick to helvellyn is only possible by going right round down the motorway and up from the south (I knew pooley bridge was closed but thought we could get down the a5091...whoops) so it's blencathra tomorrow. Looking at the suggested hall's fell ridge to start. Just looking into it now. Maybe do striding edge Sunday after a night in ambleside
 stouffer 15 Jan 2016
In reply to Scarab9:
You can't get to Glenridding from the north at all?
Post edited at 23:15
 OllieF 15 Jan 2016
In reply to stouffer:

I got to Glenridding from Penrith via Rheged yesterday, so no - nothing's
changed.
 Scarab9 15 Jan 2016
In reply to stouffer:

As routefinder and similar points us the long way round. Can't find much detailed info but appears not
 OllieF 15 Jan 2016
In reply to Scarab9:

I can assure you that unless something happened overnight, you can get to glenridding with no problem
 Scarab9 15 Jan 2016
In reply to OllieF:

Thanks, just getting more info from the traffic site but tricky to get it precise. Is it possible to get to patterdale or are we best going to thirlmere and up from that side?

Thank you for this!
 Scarab9 15 Jan 2016
In reply to paulh.0776:

Ignore me brain has stopped functioning! Can see info above
 stouffer 15 Jan 2016
In reply to Scarab9:

Panic over!
 OllieF 15 Jan 2016
In reply to Scarab9:

As far as I know, the swirls how car park is currently a building site, you would have to walk in from the pub. As for patterdale, you won't have an issue have a good day out!
 DSM 16 Jan 2016
Ran up to Dow Crag early this morning just in time to catch an awesome sunrise at the foot of the crag. Rarely seen the snow so deep, hard going in places. Soloed Easy Gully which was banked out & ran round to CoM etc. Fine conditions for running if you can avoid soft/deep snow. Its now snowing again (16:15/Sat) & set to continue for a while yet.

DSM
 jon59 16 Jan 2016
In reply to paulh.0776:

Decided on Rampsgill head crag today with a lovely winter walk in with good snow cover. The crag is plastered with snow but on closer inspection the turf is not frozen and the powder snow not much use for climbing. The whole crag needs a good dose of freeze and thaw before it's worth another look.
 Si Withington 16 Jan 2016
In reply to paulh.0776:

We ran a course today on Raise and around Keppel Cove. Plenty of deep powder - great for skiing. Loads of really poorly bonded slab though in sheltered areas and on steep lee slopes (but not just todays lee slopes as we've had a variety of wind directions over the last week). Very easy to trigger slab breaking away on several aspects. Gullies aint the place to be until it consolidated. Snowing to valley level now but slightly warmer than this morn. https://www.facebook.com/LakelandAscents/
 DSM 16 Jan 2016
 John Kelly 16 Jan 2016
In reply to paulh.0776:
day of contrasts

view from bowfell am

https://www.facebook.com/NTLakescampsites/photos/pcb.1063914733630295/10639...

view down jakes rake in pm - exit slabs heavily loaded and a bit too warm this pm - should stick back on if it cools down - maybe

https://www.facebook.com/NTLakescampsites/photos/pcb.1063912350297200/10639...

currently snowing gently Langdale

Post edited at 20:14

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...