UKC

Suitable frame size for a road bike...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Phil1919 15 Jan 2016
What sort of clearance should I be looking for when I stand astride a bike from the top tube? Thanks.
 wilkesley 15 Jan 2016
In reply to Phil1919:

Assuming you are male: if your eyes aren't watering the frame is probably OK There are quite a lot of opinions Personally if there is a clearance of a few inches I find the frame is fine for me. However, I can also ride my son's bike, which apart from being the next frame size smaller, is identical and find it comfortable.

Provided the frame isn't either way too small, or far too big you can usually adjust the other bits like saddle and stem to make it work for you.
OP Phil1919 15 Jan 2016
In reply to wilkesley:

Ok, thanks. I think I might agree with that on todays experience. I reckon there is about an 1inch and a 1/4 gap. I thought the frame a little big, but the seat is a few inches out of the post, and it feels good. I may get a shorter stem so that I'm not reaching so far forward.
interdit 15 Jan 2016
In reply to Phil1919:

> What sort of clearance should I be looking for when I stand astride a bike from the top tube? Thanks.

That's not how you measure to see if a modern bike frame (probably sloping top tube) fits.
Reach is much more important.

> Ok, thanks. I think I might agree with that on todays experience. I reckon there is about an 1inch and a 1/4 gap. I thought the frame a little big, but the seat is a few inches out of the post, and it feels good. I may get a shorter stem so that I'm not reaching so far forward.

Sounds slightly too big at a guess.
You can bring the fit closer by changing components, but the handling can be affected.

Slightly too small a frame is better than slightly too large, and is easier to adjust the components in the right direction.
Worth getting someone in the know to give you and your bike a once over if you don't want to invest in a full bike fit.
OP Phil1919 15 Jan 2016
In reply to interdit:

Yes, I think I agree with that as well. I've been offered a nice touring bike. I think it is a bit big, so will give it a ride or two and perhaps get some advice as you say.
OP Phil1919 15 Jan 2016
In reply to interdit:

The bikes in mint condition but it is about 10 years old. It is not a sloping top tube.
interdit 15 Jan 2016
In reply to Phil1919:

> Yes, I think I agree with that as well. I've been offered a nice touring bike.

So you are after a more 'relaxed' riding position.
It's not a racing bike so you are after comfort, over aero position.

> I think it is a bit big, so will give it a ride or two

Just make sure you don't convince yourself it fits, or will fit, because it's a bargain.

> and perhaps get some advice as you say.

The preferable option imo.
At the absolute worst case sit on the bike whilst leaning up against something solid and have someone take a photo to post for everyone to check.
Have the foot nearest the camera at the lowest position and the arm closest to the camera in as natural position as possible with the hand resting on the brake hood.

If you fall off whilst balancing make sure you upload the video

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...