UKC

Rubber retainers on cam loops?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 neuromancer 17 Jan 2016
Bear with me.

I have my C4's all racked on Spectre's. Unfortunately, for some reason, be it my harness or just the combination, this means that as I climb the biners all seem to flip so that the cam is held in the top basket rather than the bottom one, and when I try and remove them I have to faff around rotating the biner (unless I want to extend).

I was going to just sell all my lovely colour coded spectres and buy... I don't know, probably heliums (because the rest of my rack is heliums and they're pretty, for no other reason).

But the bloke in the climbing centre suggested this: Has anyone ever attached those rubber quickdraw retaining grommets to a cam sling?

Wouldn't this make the cam more likely to walk?
 ModerateMatt 17 Jan 2016
In reply to neuromancer:

I have no experience doing this, it would probably work fine. Except if the carabiner clips the sling (possibly when in transport) and only the rubber retainer is holding the carabiner in place, similar to the video posted below.

youtube.com/watch?v=x5AApEMDRyk&
 Mark1800 17 Jan 2016
In reply to neuromancer:

I also have no experience of this, but (like you) I would assume this would make the cams slightly more likely to walk, by stopping the snapgate from freely moving around inside the sling.

Would a small strip of duct tape wrapped across the bottom basket (like on belay crabs, e.g. edelrid strike) do the job? Theoretically it would keep the cam on the right end of the carabiner whilst giving it a bit more freedom of movement. I doubt this would be strong/durable enough really but might be worth having a play around with it.
 jsmcfarland 18 Jan 2016
In reply to neuromancer:

is it really such a big problem? :s
OP neuromancer 18 Jan 2016
In reply to jsmcfarland:

Every time I pick out a cam, I almost drop it because the open end of the biner is next to the sling.

No, it isn't the rwandan genocide.

It's not the bataclan murders.

No, donald trump isn't going to get into office.

But y'know, it's mildly irritating and I was making conversation. Isn't that what a forum is for?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...