UKC

Lake District Conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 shah 17 Jan 2016

I've heard around that the lakes might be in condition. I have some experience from the alps, so where would be a good place to go for a day, and is it even in condition at all?
Post edited at 13:18
 TobyA 17 Jan 2016
In reply to shah:

A bit vague a question! In condition for what? And where exactly?

But overall - there is a lot of snow in the Lakes down low, walking is hard due to this. But the turf even on the highest tops isn't fully frozen and the ice is only starting to form (it's not particularly cold). I ski toured yesterday rather than tried to climb, and this seemed like the right decision talking to a few people who had tried climbing above Red Tarn. The ridge scrambles were very popular though.
 Mike Hewitt 17 Jan 2016
I headed off up Blencathra today and we turned around after a couple of hours as my mate was exhausted after swimming through the powder since we left the road (we did pick our own route, away from the main easy path). Coming down we passed several groups of skiers who were sliding up faster than I could ever walk.

I suggest sticking to a ridge route or wait until the power consolidates. Either way have fun
 Brass Nipples 17 Jan 2016
In reply to shah:

Watch out for the glacier behind Scafell, new crevasses opened up today.
 adamsky 17 Jan 2016
In reply to shah:
Climbed on scafell crag yesterday which was fun. We were climbing on deep ghyll buttress which was hoared up. But of a wade to get there but was worth it for an awesome route.
Post edited at 17:23
 DR 17 Jan 2016
In reply to Mountain Llama:

Despite the link in your post, and advice given here, it seems like some folk are either stupid, ignorant of climbing conditions, don't care or a combination of all three. From the Winter Climbs logbook, someone climbed Pendulum Gully yesterday which must have been full of unconsolidated powder over unfrozen turf, and turf that is particularly rich in arctic alpine plant communities. See the Lakes winter guide produced by the BMC last year -
https://www.thebmc.co.uk/lake-district-winter-conditions-guide - which lists this area as a place not to climb unless properly frozen.

Come on guys, show a little care and common sense out there.

Aye,
Davie
 Wesley Orvis 17 Jan 2016
In reply to shah:
quite a lot of gullies been done in the Lakes this weekend. The snow is soft and the ground unfrozen due to been insulated by the snow, no climb able ice. I'm sure a few really steep and high up buttress's routes may be ok but I seriously doubt anything is in proper climbing conditions. This was from was observations from Friday night so things could have changed but I doubt it.
Post edited at 20:26
In reply to shah:

spent some times in langdale this weekend. great walking conditions, though the snow is deep and soft up high which makes for really hard going on less established paths. the ground is not frozen hard so i would not imagine there are much in the way of good climbing conditions. i am in ulverston jut outside the lakes and its surprisingly mild despite some snow so there wont be much frost tonight.

but it is worth visiting for the winter views.
 Dark-Cloud 18 Jan 2016
In reply to Wesley Orvis:

Its quite amazing that people are so oblivious to what's acceptable and not, we skied on Saturday and there is virtually nothing frozen below and even then its touch and go, the turf that was showing through on Dollywagon where it had been scoured was soft and everything was getting softer as we came off the hill.......
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Yes, very true. It's also amazing how many people don't watch the forecast closely enough to see what crags were scoured by the wind during the first snow falls and also note that the freezing level was around 800m earlier last week... There were reasonably good climbing conditions (frozen turf and some crusty neve) to be had in the Lake District yesterday.

NMM
 goose299 18 Jan 2016
In reply to shah:

So one for the guys on the ground in the Lakes
Is it going to be worth the hours drive north on Wednesday? Is there going to be anything in nick?

From what I've read so far, I'm guessing not
In reply to goose299:

It's not cold enough. Davie got it right.
DC
 Dark-Cloud 18 Jan 2016
In reply to goose299:
Walk yes, it still looks stunning and some of the ridges *may* be OK, however its pretty mild today and not really forecast to get any colder, it needs another week of sub zero to consolidate, but it don't think that's going to happen.
Post edited at 10:20
 goose299 18 Jan 2016
In reply to Dave Cumberland and richlan

Cheers guys, I'll give it a miss then

In reply to goose299:

www.lakedistrictweatherline.co.uk
 goose299 18 Jan 2016
In reply to Northern Mountain Monkey:

Already looked at weatherline but always good to get the wisdom of ukc
In reply to goose299:

True in some cases! Keep your eyes wind direction in particular, wet snow freezes down pretty fast in a decent wind...

NMM
 Murray Walker 20 Jan 2016
In reply to shah:

Anyone been around Scaw fell this week? Wondering if something like Lords Rake, West Wall traverse any good? Need to get out in the snow! Oherwise thinking of doing a summer scramble, like Ill Cragg... any thoughts or suggestions?
 chris m fisher 20 Jan 2016
In reply to Murray Walker:

Just came down from Scafell, unsurprisingly Lords Rake & the West Wall Traverse both have plenty of snow on them, on the way to being consolidated. Combining the two would make for a smashing outing - enjoy!
 DSM 20 Jan 2016
Just returned from a nocturnal outing to Coniston Old Man (22:00 Wed/20th). Here's the suss:

There's still a huge amount of snow from last week and it has consolidated somewhat so its now heavy & wet; not particularly safe and hard going to plod through. Main footpaths are all well trodden down so are actually quite slippery.
I checked out Low Water Beck - 'water water everywhere, nor a frozen drop to climb' as Coleridge might have said. Big thaw on the way now.

DSM

Wesley Orvis 21 Jan 2016
In reply to shah: Kilnshaw Chimney was enjoyable this evening. The steps had frozen up nicely in this evenings frost.

Bob Bennett 21 Jan 2016
In reply to DR:

Endorse your remarks, we walked up to Link Cove yesterday through crusty but soft snow. Gullies were full of soft unconsolidated snow and the turf was unfrozen.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...