UKC

Climbing Ben Nevis first time - need advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
LJ_London 17 Jan 2016
Hi,

I am a female looking to climb Ben Nevis in Winter but I don't have any climbing buddies to go with. Can anyone recommend any groups that I could join rather than a 1/1 guide as they're quite pricey.

Thanks

L
 Offwidth 18 Jan 2016
In reply to LJ_London:

I'd try lifts and partners and keep an eye out for those working towards qualifications offering free services to build their logbooks. The summit plateaux is a special place in winter and stunning if cloud free, but it can also be a serious navigation test if the weather closes in, as there are cliffs on most sides and the safe standard descent is only reached following a tight range of compass bearings.
 ModerateMatt 18 Jan 2016
In reply to LJ_London:

Are you looking to actually climb or just walk? In either case there is a FB page for climbing partners in Fort William, try on there.
 Jasonic 02 Feb 2016
In reply to LJ_London:

http://www.abacusmountainguides.com/ben-nevis-in-winter.html

Or learn to navigate- or even join a local mountaineering club!
 Snowdave 03 Feb 2016
In reply to LJ_London:

As said above climb it as in graded climbs eg ropes, harness, axes, crampons...

Or do the main path which still requires walking axe & crampons..

Big difference, & also how much winter stuff or either have you done as even an experienced non guide person might not feel comfortable taking a complete beginner up one of the hardest winter summits in the UK & having spent the past 24ys Scottish winter mountaineering I have see most things on the hills! & the Ben in winter is no place for a beginner unless with a guide or a couple of experienced non guides.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...