UKC

What should I look for in a (first-time) road bike?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 elliot.baker 18 Jan 2016
Hello all

I've always been into mountain biking, now I quite fancy getting into road biking, around the Peak District/Derbyshire etc. I like the idea of not getting completely covered in mud on a cold day!

Any recommendations? Would £500 be enough for something workable? Should I be thinking of a bigger budget? I won't be competing but would like all day rides...

Should I go carbon? Could one even get a carbon frame for under a grand?

Many thanks for any suggestions, especially if you have recently bought a bike in the 500-1k£ price range and love it!
 Toby_W 18 Jan 2016
In reply to elliot.baker:

Easy,

Line up your selection based on price, performance, groupset etc etc. Pick the nicest looking one. There is nothing worse than an ugly bike. Made sure you try and compare the frame size and setup though as one bike in one size set up one way might look ugly but can look lovely (set up correctly).

This may seem like a silly answer but I promise it's not.

Slightly more serious is just like climbing the more you do it the more you'll know what you want in terms of everything else.

Proper technical answers will hopefully now follow.

Cheers

Toby
 Brass Nipples 18 Jan 2016

Does it have fittings for mudguards?
Might you want to fit a rack for touring?
What's the widest tyres that will fit? (Clearances)
Does it have a detachable derailleur hangar in case you crash?
Does it have shallow or deep drop handlebars?
Will the bike shop swap over saddle and stem in case they are not quite right?
How many spacers on handlebar stem, can you raise or lower bars and by how much?
Does it have internal cable routing?
Is it disc brake or rim brake?
Is it reasonably comfortable to ride?

Get the best frame you can as you will end up gradually upgrading most components if you get into it. Sub £500 you'll be looking at last years £800 bikes which would be great. £1K should get you a £1500 bike in a discontinued model which will be a very good bike with the likes of Shimano 105 and a good frame.
Post edited at 16:19
 neilh 18 Jan 2016

Bought my 1st one this time last year. £650 plus £70 for the shoes.

carbon forks only.

Just go for a frame that suits you and make sure you are measured right.
 knighty 18 Jan 2016

Last year I bought a B'Twin Alur bike for £600. Absolutely wonderful bike. Came with Shimano 105 all round (apart from crank).

This year Decathlon are not calling it the Alur, but now the Ultra 700. £750. Ally frame, carbon forks, 105 all round.

You might be able to pick up a 'last year's' bike for cheaper, don't know. Also, I personally am not fussed about all carbon frames. They seem up to the job, but if I crash, it'd be very difficult to see if there are any flaws in the carbon.
 LittleRob 18 Jan 2016

Have a think about second-hand. It gives you the opportunity to dip your toe in the water.

I bought my bike, a Specialized Allez, from eBay for £350. I was rather hedging my bets as I wasn't sure whether I'd like a drop-bar bike (for the first time in ~30 years). 2700 miles later its seeming like a reasonable investment!, though I am in the process of changing the cassette to an 11-32 (see another thread on that) to better cope with the Peak District hills.

I liked it so much that I bought another for my son (a better spec Allez for £335) which we sold on a year later for £250.

Rob

rocksol 18 Jan 2016

Riding in Peak District get a compact chainset Best value bikes bar non are Planet X & their showroom is in Rotherham Check the extensive website or call over for advice. I have a top spec. Pinarello but my Planet X bike which I bought for Winter rides as well ...almost!!
 GrahamD 18 Jan 2016

If you can, try before you buy. Personally I wouldn't get too hung up on spec because if you get hooked you'll soon be in the market for a 'best' bike rather than worrying about upgrades of your old one.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...