UKC

XE-1/2

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 CMcBain 18 Jan 2016
I currently have a D3300 and a now broken S100. Was contemplating replacing the S100 with something similar but came across the XE-2 in my googling and now contemplating trading in my D3300 for the XE-2 as my sole camera. Was wondering if any owners can comment on how portable/durable it is?

Am I wanting too much in asking for a small (enough thats its not a hindrance on multipack rock) but good quality changeable lens camera. The X-E2 with the 27mm pancake lens looks small enough that you could stuff it in a chest pockets sans case for multi pitch whilst at the same time being versatile enough that you could stick a bigger lens on it if weights not a hinderance.

Or should I just stick the d3300 and compact camera?
 icnoble 19 Jan 2016
In reply to CMcBain: Having been a Nikon user for over 20 years I recently took the decision to change to Fuji, and I bought the X-t1 and x-e1. I have never regretted the decision. The Fuji lenses are as good as the Nikon/ Canon equivalents.

ChrisJD 19 Jan 2016
In reply to CMcBain:
> small, good quality. The X-E2 with the 27mm pancake lens looks small enough that you could stuff it in a chest

Might be worth considering a X100S (under £500 2nd hand) or X100t (under £700 2nd hand) for this.

http://www.wexphotographic.com/used-compact-cameras-fuji/b3243-m84

The X100T is my main camera now.
Post edited at 08:56
 Robert Durran 19 Jan 2016
In reply to CMcBain:
The X-E2 with the 27mm pancake lens looks small enough that you could stuff it in a chest pockets sans case for multi pitch.

> That's a lot of money to be bouncing around unprotected in a chest pocket while climbing and it is a bit of a compromise on bulk and weight compared with a really good compact. I really love my XE-1 but I wouldn't do technical climbing with it.

> Or should I just stick the d3300 and compact camera?

Or an XE-1/2 and a compact. the XE-2 with X100T combination would be fantastic!

Some really good deals can now be had on the XE-1. I saw the body with the budget XC 16-50 (still a very good lens) on sale for £260 at the airport recently.
Post edited at 09:35
 Only a hill 19 Jan 2016
In reply to CMcBain:
I have the XE-1 and really like it.

With the 27mm pancake lens it's small and very portable, but I wouldn't exactly call it *pocketable* – the X100S or T is definitely smaller. However, as you mention, the X-E range gives you the option of changing lenses, which in my view is a major advantage. The XF 18-55 which often comes bundled is actually a superb lens and much better than the cheap kit lenses you often find on mirrorless cameras.

In terms of how robust it is, I'd say it's fairly sturdy but dropping it on a rock will probably still kill it (it doesn't have an all-metal chassis like the X-Pro 1). There is no weather-sealing but, like most cameras, it'll withstand light dampness with some caution and common sense. If you really need bomber construction or weather-sealing then get the X-T1 or new X-Pro 2 (both much more expensive!).

You'll see various reviews complaining about the EVF on the X-E1, but I've found it absolutely fine in any lighting. Battery life is also more than adequate for me. It's a great camera and I enjoy using it far more than a DSLR.

Edit: forgot to mention, the XC 16-50 isn't that great. I'd spend a little more and get the 18-55. I also have the XF 27mm and it produces great image quality but mine has a faulty autofocus motor – I've heard this can be a problem with this lens.
Post edited at 09:28
In reply to Only a hill:

> You'll see various reviews complaining about the EVF on the X-E1, but I've found it absolutely fine in any lighting.

I find I can't really see anything much in the EVF at night!

> Battery life is also more than adequate for me.

I find it does get through batteries - If I'm taking a lot of photos I can easily get through at least two in a day (I have six), so access to recharging on a trip is important.

> Edit: forgot to mention, the XC 16-50 isn't that great. I'd spend a little more and get the 18-55.

My comment was, admittedly, based on the XC 50-200 which I find really good.
I've recently got the XF 10-24 which is absolutely fantastic for landscapes and which pretty much lives on the camera now.
 Only a hill 19 Jan 2016
In reply to Robert Durran:

> I find I can't really see anything much in the EVF at night!

When it's really dark (i.e. night photography) I've found that to be true, but then again many optical finders aren't significantly better. If you do a lot of night photography there might be better options than the X-E1 though.

> I find it does get through batteries - If I'm taking a lot of photos I can easily get through at least two in a day (I have six), so access to recharging on a trip is important.

I think this depends on how many photos you take, and whether or not you switch the camera off between shots. I've managed to eke a battery out for five days on a backpacking trip before, and in regular non-hill use I often only have to charge it every couple of weeks. That said, if you're taking hundreds of pictures a day then spare batteries (or a charger) are going to be a good idea.
OP CMcBain 19 Jan 2016

> Or an XE-1/2 and a compact. the XE-2 with X100T combination would be fantastic!

Maybe i'm wrong but there didn't seem to be much size difference between the X-E1/2 (Albeit with the pancake lens) and the X100T? The X100T actually seems to be a bit more expensive, with the 'S' model even being more expensive than a 2nd hand X-E1 at least.

Maybe i'm missing the point of the X100, but is not a bit limiting effectively only having one prime lens when for a similar sized package and price you could have something with changeable lens. Whats the benefit of the X100 over the X-E2?
In reply to CMcBain:

>Whats the benefit of the X100 over the X-E2?

Sounds like ChrisJD is the person to answer that!

ChrisJD 19 Jan 2016
In reply to CMcBain:
Ken is not to everyone's taste, but this might be useful:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/fuji/x-e2.htm

the X100 series cameras have hybrid viewfinder - either optical (rangefinder type with some headsup info) or through the lens EVF.

The X100T is a very refined small package that is a joy to use. But yes, it shares much of the Fuji-ethos with the XE-2.

I previously owned an XE-1 (and liked it), sold it and left the Fuji-way for a bit (back to Canon for a while); missed the Fuji-way and came back to it with the X100T - which I just really really like for its simplicity and low faff without extra lenses and volume of other stuff etc. And I love the Fuji-look of the images.
Post edited at 11:28
 ChrisJD 19 Jan 2016
In reply to CMcBain:
Near enough all the 2015 images are with the X100T.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/105343926@N08/sets/

(You'll only see my 'Public' photo-stream)

I do a fair bit of hand held panos, stitched in LR.
Post edited at 11:33
 Only a hill 19 Jan 2016
In reply to ChrisJD:

Beautiful pictures.

I think there's something to be said for a fixed prime lens. It certainly helps you to 'see', even if it lacks versatility.
OP CMcBain 19 Jan 2016
In reply to ChrisJD:

Thanks Chris, fantastic pictures. I must admit, a part of me is attracted to the simplicity of a fixed prime lens, especially for landscape/people shots. My only slight worry is that for climbing pictures (in particular if you're attached on a belay and can't 'zoom with your feet') the X100 might feel a bit constrained. I use to have a 35mm prime on my D3300 and often found that it was hard to get someone in the frame when seconding as they got closer to a belay.

How did you find the durability of the X100 vs your X-E1, obviously neither are actually sold as 'weather-sealed' or anything but quite a few mention that the X100 is pretty solid and able to survive a few knocks. For the use I have in mind that could potentially swing my thinking over to the X100
 ChrisJD 19 Jan 2016
In reply to CMcBain:

Yes. the lack of reach (zoom) is a limiting factor. But has to be embraced

And you did say you wanted to use the Xe-2 with 17mm pancake for climbing (the X100 series is 23mm).

I do have the screw on tele-converter for the X100T, but use it a lot less than I thought I would!

You can also use the X100T with an off-camera flash (triggered by the on-board flash ahead of the shot, without any separate trigger on the X100T). Have used this to get great people shots at parties etc.

The X100 is solid and well built, but not massively so compared with the XE. Though my mate did drop his X100S onto a tiled floor and it survived OK. The doors are the weakest link, as with many cameras.

Solaris 19 Jan 2016
In reply to CMcBain:

I am the proud and very satisfied owner of ChrisJD's X-E1. I bought it because I wanted a good camera to take climbing and travelling, but I knew I'd need something smaller and lighter for one-handed, more serious climbing use. So, having found a Sony RX100 II at a bargain price in a New Year sale, I own that as well.

A lot will depend on the kind of photography you like to do. For me, the Fuji really makes me enjoy taking photos (I'm used to and like SLRs); the Sony will be a good tool, but I don't expect I'll enjoy using it so much.

X-E1 kit lens is excellent and adequate for all my current purposes. X100t is a beauty but the fixed lens would be too restrictive for me (otoh, restriction can be a good creative impetus). But if I could only have one camera to do everything, I'd be very tempted.

As someone mentioned earlier, there are X-E1s and 2s at silly prices at the moment, and it'd probably be especially worth looking at reconditioned ones on the Fuji, Harrisons, and Wex etc. websites.
OP CMcBain 19 Jan 2016
In reply to Solaris:
My old setup was probably similar to your current. D3300 if doing stuff where I was able to carry it, S100 on anything where weight would be an issue. I took my D3300 on a long multi-pitch sport route was really happy with the pictures I took with it (better than I would've got with my S100) yet it was a pretty noticeable burden, as I just had it hanging without a case off my shoulder. I suppose I'm torn between wanting SLR quality photos but a really portable package, for example I loved having my S100 just stuffed in a chest pocket.

I could just get another S100 but would rather just have one camera than I can use for anything. The X-E2 seemed to be answer, particularly as its quite cheap but I now find myself being woo'd by the X100S despite the slight hinderance of only having one fixed prime lens.

I'm not hugely into landscape shots, more climbing shots and occasional portraits etc if that helps!
Post edited at 19:58
 Tom Last 19 Jan 2016
In reply to Only a hill:

> Beautiful pictures.

> I think there's something to be said for a fixed prime lens. It certainly helps you to 'see', even if it lacks versatility.

Exactly this. I have a x100T, as the natural successor to the absolutely brilliant Fuji 6x4.5 rangefinder that I used to have (which was also fixed at a similar equivalent focal length ~35mm).

It's about as useful an all round focal length as you're likely to find. It's a bit like going on holiday to an island, in that by restricting yourself you make best use of what possibilities you have at hand and tend to consider composition etc. a bit more. Also, I'd never really think about using the upper end of the focal length on my S95 for example, for professional pics due to loss of quality. So for most work I don't really miss that versatility in this compact.

The overall quality is every bit as good as that from my 5D mkii. The usability, functionality and build quality are also equal to what you'd find in a pro slr. It's not appropriate for all of my press work, but where it is, I use it without hesitation.

Still the OP didn't ask about x100T, but just to illustrate that current Fuji stuff is absolutely top drawer.
 ChrisJD 19 Jan 2016
In reply to CMcBain:

I think the X100S might be too much much of a leap into the dark/unknown and the XE-2 is so well priced at the moment (the XE-2s is coming soon?).

I think you'd be very pleased with the XE-2 and its definitely more versatile. I really enjoyed the XE-1 (so glad to hear that Solaris is still happy with it) - I feel like the prodigal son, leaving the Fuji fold, then returning
 Solaris 19 Jan 2016
In reply to ChrisJD:
> I really enjoyed the XE-1 (so glad to hear that Solaris is still happy with it) - I feel like the prodigal son, leaving the Fuji fold, then returning

Well, I won't say that I hadn't noticed that you seemed to have left the fold, but unlike the prodigal son's elder brother, I don't resent your return and the ensuing celebrations
 Solaris 19 Jan 2016
In reply to CMcBain:

Well, if you want portrait shots, Fuji do what is by all accounts a fantastic 56mm lens that I've been very tempted by.

Have you thought of an RX100? V light and portable, good images and a decent lens, though not very fast at the long end. Shaun Welby of this parish has done some really good, prize winning work with his, though a lot of it is landscape.
chris20 20 Jan 2016
In reply to CMcBain:

I've been thinking about getting a fuji X-E for a while now to replace my very old canon 350D, is there much difference between the E1 and E2, I've seen the bodies for £190 for the E1 and £430 for the E2
 ChrisJD 20 Jan 2016
In reply to chris20:
>, is there much difference between the E1 and E2

http://www.fujivsfuji.com/x-e1-vs-x-e2/

Fuji are also very good at providing firmware updates for older cameras that provide some features that appear on their latest cameras
Post edited at 09:25
 Only a hill 21 Jan 2016
In reply to CMcBain:

If anyone's interested, most of the recent pictures in my Flickr timeline were taken with the X-E1 and XF 18-55 lens combo. Also some shots with the XF 27 lens and the X30 camera in there.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/alex_roddie/
 Dr.S at work 21 Jan 2016
In reply to Only a hill:

Nice shots - must resist urge to invest in a new camera......
OP CMcBain 21 Jan 2016
In reply to Only a hill:
Decided to go for an X-E1 in the end, couldn't resist how good value it was for the price. I do really like the look and feel of the X100 but think I might get a bit paranoid taking such an expensive camera on routes with me. The X-E1 isn't exactly expendable but it weighs in around £350 cheaper than a 2nd hand X100.

ps - in terms of X-E1 vs X-E2, the biggest difference seems to be slightly faster AF on the X-E2 and a slightly more advanced viewfinder. You get an extra viewfinder within a viewfinder for fine tuning manual focusing. I decided being neither a professional photographer or intensely interested in fast action photography - I can live without these features.

Thanks for the wisdom!
Post edited at 10:53
 Robert Durran 21 Jan 2016
In reply to CMcBain:

> Decided to go for an X-E1 in the end.

I'm sure you won't regret it! I started a similar thread looking for advice on replacing an SLR a couple of years ago and ended up going for an XE-1 and I've never looked back (though it was a lot pricier then!). I have since supplemented it with an RX100 for climbing. Of course I now do covet an XT-1 - maybe when the price comes down (and I'll still have my superb XF lenses).
chris20 21 Jan 2016
In reply to CMcBain:

Did you get it with the kit 18-55 lens? I'm a bit undecided between that and the 35 mm f1.4
 Robert Durran 21 Jan 2016
In reply to chris20:

> Did you get it with the kit 18-55 lens? I'm a bit undecided between that and the 35 mm f1.4

I got the XF 18-55. I've since got the XC 50-200 (the XC's are the budget lenses, but I've found it superb eg https://www.flickr.com/photos/124082247@N06/24030658970/in/album-7215766274... which is hand held at 200mm and quite heavily cropped) and the XF 10-24 which is expensive but fabulous. If I were using it climbing I might have considered that pancake lens to decrease weight and bulk, but I got the RX100 for that. I find the XE-1 over my shoulder with one lens on the camera and another in a pocket absolutely fine while walking and even scrambling.
 Only a hill 21 Jan 2016
In reply to CMcBain:

Sounds like an excellent decision! For what it's worth, I haven't had any problems with the autofocus speed on my X-E1, and the EVF is perfectly adequate even for highly detailed manual focusing. Last night I was taking long-exposure night shots in Lincoln and it performed superbly. The 18-55 lens also gives you excellent image quality.

Enjoy!
 Only a hill 21 Jan 2016
In reply to chris20:

I don't have the 35mm f/1.4, but I've heard it has slow and noisy autofocus compared to the zoom (which is a newer lens with improved internals). Of course, the prime is smaller and has a wider aperture though.
chris20 21 Jan 2016

Thanks all, that's been very informative
OP CMcBain 21 Jan 2016

I'll be waiting for the postie with bated breath! I'll try it out for more technical climbing and see how I get on, if I don't get on well thats an excuse to save pennies for a nicer compact!

Chris20 - I got it with the 18-55 XF lens (also 2nd hand). I don't need the portability of a prime for another few months and I like zooms, so I shall see how I get on with it. As others have mentioned the 18-55 gets superlative reviews for a 'kit lens'.

When the time comes I would probably consider the 18mm f/2 or 27mm f/2.8 as I prefer the wider focal length and smaller package!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...