UKC

Chamonix Alps - Quietest time in Summer Holidays?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ndawson 19 Jan 2016

Hi all,

My climbing partner is a primary school teacher so this year for our trip to the alps we will have to go during the school summer holidays.

21st July - 1st September

Is there a time which is slightly quieter during the summer hols or is it all just as busy?

We've been several times previously but always early June.

Cheers,

Neil
Post edited at 14:53
 bigbobbyking 19 Jan 2016
In reply to Ndawson:
When are the summer holidays? If you can go in early September that will be quieter than August...

Edit: did you edit your post or was I just an idiot and didn't see the dates?
Post edited at 14:58
 Shapeshifter 19 Jan 2016
In reply to Ndawson:

I've previously found the first week of September is very quiet, but that's probably too late for you, so I'd say as late as you can manage in August.
 jon 19 Jan 2016
In reply to Ndawson:

Given your dates then 15 August to 1st Sept is the quietest. But 'quietest' is only relative.
 sebastien 19 Jan 2016
In reply to Ndawson:

I would say you should go as early as possible, knowing that the last french school day is on the 05.07.2016. They go back to school on the Thu 01.09.2016 so the last week of August might be a good option as well.
 BenTiffin 19 Jan 2016
In reply to Ndawson:
The last two weeks of August always seem quieter on the campsites in Cham.
 jcw 20 Jan 2016
In reply to Ndawson:

Well, that is the busiest time. But you can get around that by doing some less honeypot routes. And there are plenty of good ones at all standards
 LittleRob 20 Jan 2016
In reply to Ndawson:

We were there for the last week of August last year (22nd-29th) and it was quite busy in town because of the UTMB. Then again, watching all the runners and browsing the trade expo was good fun.

France generally is quieter that last week, and the rental prices reflect that, but be warned that the weather may not be all that good. For most of the week it was great (brain-boiling hot at times) but I recall that on the Sunday/Monday it rained quite a lot.

On the Monday we were at the Emmoson dam (to look at the dino foot prints) and all day the weather was pretty cruddy. At the end when we walked back across the dam to get to the car there was a lightning strike that felt just a few metres away and you should have seen us run!

Rob
 jon 20 Jan 2016
In reply to Ndawson:

During the summer there are two important national holidays. There's Bastille Day on the 14 July and Assomption on the 15 August. The month in between these two days is tradionally the busiest time in the alps (in summer). Coinciding with the 15 August is the Fête des Guides in Chamonix. After this lots of folk go home and the mountains are quieter though as I said above, only relatively...
 Maarten2 23 Jan 2016
In reply to Ndawson:

Maybe go somewhere else than Chamonix? The Italian side is often much quieter...
OP Ndawson 25 Jan 2016
In reply to Maarten2:
Maarten any suggestions of different towns or valley bases?

Cash 03 Feb 2016
In reply to Ndawson:

Try Courmeyeur on the Italian side. Pension Venezia in town in cheap & cheerful. Access via the tunnel with fairly regular buses from outside Cham train station. Or from the Italian side maybe fly to Turin then bus up the valley with maybe a detour for the Gran Paradiso.
 David Rose 04 Feb 2016
In reply to Ndawson:
There is a very nice CAI hut just above Courmayeur - you do need a car, though. It makes an excellent base and has a stunning view. In general, the Italian side is wilder and very spectacular. As well as grand alpinism, there are many modern rock routes accessible from the Dalmazzi hut, an Italian equivalent to the Envers des Aiguilles.
Post edited at 09:27
 Mark Haward 06 Feb 2016
In reply to Ndawson:

As others have said, July and August are always busy in the Chamonix valley. However, it is possible to find quieter campsites and, once away from the main telepherique stations, quiet routes.
The Italian side is an option or how about trying a different area?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...