UKC

George Finch-new book

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sean Kelly 20 Jan 2016
Probably worth a read.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/books/what-to-read/the-maverick-mountaineer-the-...
He was rated by Wade Davies in his recent 'Into the Silence' and was shunned by the leaders of the Expedition. Mallory should have had Finch as his partner as he appeared to go better than most at altitude. He was also a supporter of Oxygen usage. Lots of interesting links such as his son was the actor Peter Finch. (I tried one of his routes on Paglia Orba on Corsica but got hopelesssly lost as the route description did not tally).
 Mick Ward 20 Jan 2016
In reply to Sean Kelly:

'Using his bottled air, however, Finch climbed to the then-record height of 27,300ft, within reach of the summit. Yet he turned back to rescue his partner Geoffrey Bruce.'

I doff my cap (and give a namaste). This is proper climbing behaviour. Contemporary aspirants take note.

It's odd - you know all these names from expeditions for so many years but that's all they are - names. You don't know the stories behind them - until people go digging. And what amazing stories - and characters - seem to be unearthed.

I love the photo of GF and Bubbles (Bubbles!!) gazing towards the Matterhorn. The way her rope is tied... They may have been amateurs but, my God, they were great amateurs.

Mick
 Co1in H 20 Jan 2016
In reply to Sean Kelly: The book launch was at the Alpine Club on Tuesday night.
There should be a brief review and some interesting photos on the Climb website soon by a mate of mine.
I believe the book is very good and gives quite a bit of detail about his hectic private life. Although Peter Finch was brought up by Georges family he was not his son. He was the son of Georges then wife but Peters father was one of her lovers. George knew this and packed Peter off to Australia to be brought up by his parents even though there was no blood relationship.

OP Sean Kelly 21 Jan 2016
In reply to Co1in H:

> I believe the book is very good and gives quite a bit of detail about his hectic private life. Although Peter Finch was brought up by Georges family he was not his son. He was the son of Georges then wife but Peters father was one of her lovers. George knew this and packed Peter off to Australia to be brought up by his parents even though there was no blood relationship.

We live in incestuous times!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...