UKC

Tingly fingers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JohnBson 20 Jan 2016
So my hands got quite cold on a route on Saturday. My gloves, having never previously failed became ice boxes. With no option to retreat we pressed on with haste changing out of them and into my emergency gloves and mitts at the top.

My fingers do not have any visible signs of damage however my finger tips are tingly and numb still with occasional doses of pain when they get cold or I move them too much. A minor Non-freezing cold injury.

How long will this last? When can I go into the cold again albeit with better gloves? Any advice?

As you may guess I'm not going to a doctor as I can't afford this on my medical record as an nfci could end my career.
 Andy Nisbet 20 Jan 2016
In reply to JohnBson:

> How long will this last? When can I go into the cold again albeit with better gloves? Any advice?

> As you may guess I'm not going to a doctor as I can't afford this on my medical record as an nfci could end my career.

Probably only a couple of weeks but depends how bad the nerve damage is. No advantage in going to a doctor as they won't be able to do anything. Going into the cold again should be OK as long as you keep your hands warmer.

OP JohnBson 20 Jan 2016
In reply to Andy Nisbet:

Thanks for the advice. Planning another trip to the highlands in mid feb. Hopefully it'll be ok by then.
 Martin Bennett 20 Jan 2016
In reply to JohnBson:

I first experienced this in The Alps in 1966. It recurred on a number of occasions in Scotland and The Alps for some years. Advice at the time referred to it as "frostnip" and implied it's cause was ice crystals in the tissues and/or capillaries. I found the tingling lasted about two or three weeks. In the late seventies I got frostbitten proper - no loss of tissue just black skin and temporary loss of toe and fingernails. Since then I get white fingers and numbness very readily but no longer get the tingling, nor, incidentally, the dreaded hotaches - every cloud has a silver lining eh?
In reply to JohnBson:

My fingers had fristnips several times without any lasting symptoms until six years ago, when I got it once again, but worse than ever before. No blisters and no black skin, just the usual white. But I have had tingling fingertips ever since.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...