UKC

"must-do" Peak District MTB

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 LittleRob 21 Jan 2016
I'm planning a multi-day Peak district MTB for the summer (probably July) with my 16 year old son. Are there any "must-do" bits of off-road that people would care to recommend.

So far the only vague detail is to head up to Castleton (possibly staying in the YHA) and do Winnats up so that we can do the "road to nowhere" (old A652?) back-down again (he's particularly keen to do this).

After that I thought about going back up (possibly the next day) and carrying over on the Pennine way via Jacob's ladder.

Its all a bit vague yet as to the overall duration, and how far we might cover, but I'd guess 3 days +/- 1 and say 50 miles per day +/- 20.

Any suggestions?

Also welcome are:
* Good places to eat.
* Good places to stop (I'm assuming YHA).
* Any other suggestions for things we can do on the way.

and of course the inverse of these: Places to avoid etc.

TIA

Rob
Rigid Raider 21 Jan 2016
In reply to LittleRob:

You'd do much better to join Singletrack forum and ask on there as they have detailed knowledge of the Peaks.

Don't discount Calderdale, that's the bit from Littleborough all the way up through Hebden Bridge to Halifax, the special geography and the industrial history makes the entire area an absolutely fascinating area for walking and mountain biking with some really challenging descents. If you PM me I'll send you an article I wrote for Singletrack about the packhorse trails.
 Chris the Tall 21 Jan 2016
In reply to LittleRob:

Not sure I'd include the broken road as a must do descent - unless it's to jump the gaps (very brave) but it does make a useful climb (easier than chapel gate, less cars than winnats).

Roych Clough, Mount Famine and Jacob's ladder is an absolute classic IMHO - away from traffic, stunning views, difficult terrain, yet entirely rideable - though the chances are you'll need the odd breather on the climbs and the descents - in particular the first bit of Jacobs - aren't for the faint hearted.

Cutgate is excellant if it's dry and you don't crash, suffer heat exhaustion, have an exploding tyre or lose a pedal (I'm just cursed it seems). Quite hard to include it in a loop of less than 30 miles unless you do it as a there-and-back, but the roads around the Strines are quite pleasant.

Then there's various circuits around Ladybower, the Eastern Edges, Sheffield, Macclesfield... all depends what sort of riding you want
OP LittleRob 21 Jan 2016
In reply to Rigid Raider:

Thanks for the advice about SingleTrack. I'll have a lurk there first. I suspect that Calderdale is probably further north than we will get, but I'd be curious to read more. I'll PM you (never done that before).

Rob
OP LittleRob 21 Jan 2016
In reply to Chris the Tall:

The broken road is that thing that the lad saw and is keen to do, so we may as well. I'll have a look at Cutgate. This looks to be part of some routes on SingleTrack (as recommended by 'Rigid Raider' above) so we could include that.

What do we want? No idea, but at the moment I'm making it up from a map (and Google Earth). To give you some ideas, we've done trails in Grisedale and Whinlatter before, and a couple of years ago did the South Downs Way over 3 days (he was only 13!). Since then he's got much stronger, whilst I've got a lot older We'll give anything a go, but we'll be on hard-tails, and carrying whatever we need for 3 days.

Just want to have fun, ride some trails, and see the Peak District at its best.

Rob
Rigid Raider 21 Jan 2016
In reply to LittleRob:

Well the broken road won't take you long! Better have something else up your sleeve.

In reply to LittleRob:

In that case, forget the suggestion to do Jacobs Ladder - if you are bike packing then you'll be pushing most of the way up (it's hard enough unladen) and won't enjoy the rewards.

You could do that circuit as a day ride from Castleton - Broken Road, Rushup Edge, Roych, Famine, Jacobs, Edale and Hollins Cross before getting back to Castleton - but be aware that it's more serious terrain than the Lakes trail centres. Steep, rocky and some drops.

Cutgate is more suited to touring - you'll still be pushing (and sinking in places) - but you've got long easy off road sections as well (lakeside riding to the south, trans pennine trail to the north).

Further south the Monsal trail is worth including in your plans - it's flat but the 6 tunnels are fun and the views spectacular
OP LittleRob 21 Jan 2016
In reply to Chris the Tall:

At the moment the sort of plan is:

Day one
1. Start near Darley Bridge.
2. Up Two Dales, then Beeley moor and drop back down again, then Edensor and into Bakewell to get on the Monsal trail.
3. Millers Dale we'd take Pennine bridleway & Limestone way to Castleton (YHA)

Day 2.
1. Up the side of Ladybower and Derwent reservoir, the Cutgate to Langsett.
2. Round in an anticlockwise direction (sort of triangular) back to Castleton.

Day 3.
1. Some way out of Castleton heading mostly south to around Hartington
2. Eventually High Peak trail to Cromford.

Of course I haven't measured any of that, and we might be better using >1 YHA (just to get about more).

I don't mind carrying stuff, its not ideal but we did it on SDW. On that we carried a lot of snacks and water, this time I was hoping that I could find more on the way. I think we'd get away with a small rucksack each.

Rob

In reply to LittleRob:

That looks a reasonable plan to me - 2 nights at Castleton means you can travel light on day 2 which will be long and brilliant !

I think the Limestone Way to Castleton goes down Cave Dale - probably the hardest BW descent in the area - but you can always do the Broken road as an alternative.
 TobyA 21 Jan 2016
In reply to LittleRob:

My overnight bikepack last summer http://lightfromthenorth.blogspot.co.uk/2015/07/bikepacking-around-peak-dis... I did it one CX so it might be not technical enough for you? The bit over (along) Mt Famine and down into to Hayfield was pretty techy. Have fun.
OP LittleRob 27 Jan 2016
In reply to LittleRob:

Thanks everybody for the feedback.

The articles from 'Rigid Raider" and "TobyA" could not have been more different in character, but I enjoyed both so many thanks for them.

I love reading about others exploits, and indeed planning my own. Role on some nicer weather

Again thanks.

Rob

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...