UKC

Best place for most Grade I's...Fort Bill or Aviemore?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Hans 22 Jan 2016
Hi Everyone

I have no car, so limited to public transport. Wondering if Fort Bill or Aviemore would be better for getting access to some Grade I winter routes?

Or maybe even Skye?

Best

H.
 bigbobbyking 22 Jan 2016
In reply to Hans:

Aviemore has a bus to the Ski car park which is the starting point for access to many grade 1 routes in the northern corries (and further afield). Fort William might have a bus, but much more awkward, and then much longer walk ins, which make it harder to coordinate with limited transport.

I would go to Aviemore
 Casa Alfredino 22 Jan 2016
In reply to bigbobbyking:

Unless of course you take a tent and camp near the CIC and then you can walk in once, and the world is your oyster. Although you need to be happy ducking down grade 1 as well as up for that so you don't have to do the walk around... Mind you, you could do the same in the gorms although I'd say theres less to go at there...
OP Hans 22 Jan 2016
In reply to bigbobbyking:

Good point. I am a fan of big days out, but it would be good to get as much climbing as walking done which points in favor of Aviemore.

Maybe I could do both. I will have around 10 days holiday.

Thanks
 Only a hill 22 Jan 2016
In reply to Hans:

I've done both on public transport many times. I'd say Aviemore is more public-transport user-friendly – as mentioned, the ski bus gets you up high. But Ben Nevis is perfectly doable with a longer walk-in.

In the past I've walked up from Glen Nevis and camped at the Half Way Lochan. Plenty of options if you're willing to camp.

Of course, conditions may dictate your destination – if things are good in the west but bad in the east, I'd go to Fort William regardless.
In reply to Hans:

You've a greater choice of types of route near Ft.William than in the northern Cairngorms. Put simply, there are a lot more decent grade I ridges as well as gullies, so there ought to be something do-able and reasonably safe in a wider range of conditions.
 PPP 22 Jan 2016
In reply to Hans:

Where abouts are you planning to stay?

It's been second winter in a row when I hitched from Glasgow to Fort William or Glen Coe to stay in a hostel. After sorting myself out, I just start hunting for people who look like climbers, hill walkers, etc. Never needed to take a bus or walk, always had a ride in the morning and sometimes I even got a buddy to climb with. Or at least you might be able to find someone who would accompany you to the CIC Hut and then you can split. That walk-in is not fun, even if the path is in decent nick.

Smaller hostels like Glen Coe Independent Hostel helps. Or maybe it was because of the fact that there was only one tourist and all others were outdoorsy people.
OP Hans 22 Jan 2016
In reply to PPP:

Well, I have a couple of ideas. Caluna in Fort Bill is great. Kingussie, or the Lodge/Rothiemurchus are all being considered.

Camping in full winter conditions is not particularly high on my to-do list however the experience would probably be fun for a night or so. How on earth would you dry all the gear though?

Thanks

Big days on the Ben seem to be in order...
 PPP 22 Jan 2016
In reply to Hans:

I thought that camping in winter is sexy until it we had a day with 80mph winds and torrential rain. We bagged Stob Dubh in 2h16min and got back to the hostel at 11AM. I was so glad to stay somewhere warm and nice after that, my partner for that day flipped his waterproof rucksack and the water was just pouring out of it! I still fancy some camping in good weather, but wouldn't rely on that while planning.
 goatee 22 Jan 2016
In reply to Hans:

Hi H. I would opt for Fort Wiliam. Superb days to be had. Up no3 and around CMD arrest. Ring of Steal and plenty more. All can be done from Glen Nevis. Don't be shy about hitching. I haven't had any problems. Enjoy
OP Hans 22 Jan 2016
In reply to goatee:

Thanks for the advice; I think it's probably what I will do actually.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...