UKC

DSLRs - reliable review/comparison sites?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tall Clare 24 Jan 2016
Hello all,

It's a while since I've asked questions on the photo bit of the site (I think!) but I've had lots of useful advice from here in the past, so here goes...

I have a big birthday coming up in the not too distant future, and Mr TC has suggested that he gets me a new DSLR. I had a Canon 350D years ago, but since then my digital meanderings have been via a Canon G9 and (currently) a G16. For further context, my most recent camera purchase was a 35 year old Mamiya 645... I'm a reasonably competent/experienced photographer, but most of what I've done over the years has been on film.

So I'm a bit out of the loop with what's what in the world of DSLRs, and I'm wondering - where's the best place to start doing some research? Are the likes of Ken Rockwell/DPReview as reliable as they used to be? And while it sounds like budget isn't too much of a concern, I know that I'll need to be thinking about lenses for whatever I get (more specifically, whether full frame is still automatically the better choice?)

I'm aware that this all sounds a bit vague but I know UKC loves a 'what DSLR' question almost as much as you love a 'what estate car' question... <ahem>. So - your pointers on research sites would be very gratefully received!
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 24 Jan 2016
In reply to Tall Clare:

DPReview know EVERYTHING you need to know - takes a while to navigate as there is so much info available but great site:

http://www.dpreview.com/

Chris
Clauso 24 Jan 2016
In reply to Tall Clare:

You don't want a DSLR for your birthday.
OP Tall Clare 24 Jan 2016
In reply to Clauso:

Hahahaaaa!
interdit 24 Jan 2016
In reply to Tall Clare:

dpreview are reliable in my opinion.
Ken Rockwell still has useful input once you're getting closer to making your choice, though reviews from both https://www.slrlounge.com and https://photographylife.com can highlight points Ken has missed and vice-versa. All three can offer different viewpoints on the nitty-gritty. - Just type your camera model / Lens name into their search box and several articles / reviews should appear.

Couple of other useful resources, which you probably have seen before;
http://snapsort.com/compare - Obviously ignore their 'this camera is the winner' mentality, but it is useful for rapid comparisons of features.
http://camerasize.com/compare/ - So you can compare the size any potential purchase with a camera you know. (No Mamiya 645 in the database as far as I know.)
In reply to Chris Craggs:

Thanks Chris - I remember finding it useful in the past but these things can change. Glad to hear it's still to be trusted.
In reply to interdit:

Thanks for all of this - very useful! It's all very exciting
 Solaris 24 Jan 2016
In reply to Tall Clare:

I'd been wondering what had happened to you earlier today, so although others have said it, I'll add that DPreview is good and has a useful comparison facility too.
Removed User 24 Jan 2016
In reply to Tall Clare:
Another vote for DP review.

Fred Miranda forums are excellent, and you know about Photography Life. Luminous Landscape and Photographyblog are also worth a look.

There are also a lot of Youtube review sites, some better than others. DigitalrevTV is knowledgable but staggeringly annoying, and I'd take anythingTony Northrup says with a bucket of salt. I'm not much of a fan of Ken Rockwell either.

In much the same vein as the car threads, it's only a matter of time before someone comes along to tell you that DSLRs are pointless and mirrorless cameras are better.
Post edited at 23:44
pjm 25 Jan 2016
In reply to Tall Clare:

DPR and the like are great for doing your research, and Ken Rockwell does provide a lot of opinion on lenses, camera bodies and the like. I think as long as you treat them all as opinions, rather than totally impartial fact, they all serve a purpose.

My opinion (rather than fact!) is that unless you're a pro shooter, it's far more about what camera (and lens combo) makes you feel like you want to get out and shoot more. Obsessing about sensor size, FPS rate, megapixels and dynamic range isn't going to lead to you getting out there and taking better pictures. One that feels comfortable in the hand, is the right weight and good enough build quality are more important. Think about whether you want a weather-sealed camera as well if you're planning to take it out.

The main decision point nowadays is whether to go mirrorless or conventional DSLR. Advantages and disadvantages to both - and proponents of each who will claim the other is pointless. Take a look at some side by side and have a play. If you can get to a proper camera shop (not many about, sadly), ask for some advice and get to use all of the cameras you can. If you have old Canon lenses then that may influence sticking with that brand, too.

The other thing you may be able to do - depending on what model you're after - is hire one for a weekend.

For what it's worth, alongside my DSLR, I still use my Mamiya film camera and sometimes even take it up into the mountains. It's a 4kg Rx67 Pro ii!
 Toerag 25 Jan 2016
In reply to Tall Clare:

Ming Thein and Admiringlight are pretty good in my opinon.
 ChrisJD 25 Jan 2016
In reply to Tall Clare:

This: Fujifilm X-Pro2.

http://www.fujirumors.com/first-look-fujifilm-x-pro2/

Job done. I know you'll love it.
 Fraser 25 Jan 2016
In reply to Tall Clare:

Steve's Digicams site is pretty good or at least it used to be - I've not visited for a while now but it might be worth a peek.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camera-reviews/#b

BRUCESTRAC 25 Jan 2016
In reply to Tall Clare:

Think you´ll find http://www.photographyblog.com/ a bit more subjective and a lot less in Nikon/Canon´s pockets than the other review sites.
Ken Rockwell is also about as impartial as Donald Trump....
Try finding a reasonable Pentax review from him.

And Pentax are weather sealed high spec cameras at a much better price point than their Nikon/Canon competitors, KS-2 is a great mountain camera and I believe the K3 almost unbeatable for the price.

Skyfall 25 Jan 2016
In reply to Tall Clare:

Agreed re the main websites e.g. dpreview.

Ken Rockwell underwent a big Nikon to Canon conversion and, despite being a Canon user myself, felt a bit like he might not be completelt impartial. However, pretty useful info.

I found the DigReview youtube vids quite useful in talking me out of spending too much on some of the higher spec/price canon primes and going for the cheaper options which are often better for "normal" people not shooting in studios and the like. I found the videos midly amusing as it happens...
Post edited at 13:43
 Oujmik 25 Jan 2016
In reply to Tall Clare:

It's DPReview all the way for me. One of their best features is actually hidden inside the reviews, the 'studio scene widget' lets you compare exactly the same scene photographed with different cameras on various settings. It's great for getting a real idea of how cameras stack up, especially if you're not sure how the image quality on a mirrorless might compare to a full SLR or whether it's worth paying for the new model of XYZ or getting the previous one on ebay.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-5ds-sr/8

OP Tall Clare 25 Jan 2016
In reply to Oujmik:

Now *that* is really helpful! I'm starting with an open mind but knowing the sort of thing I tend to like to photograph (best described as 'details using available light - I'm not a sport/wildlife/landscape photographer, on the whole) has already got me steering in particular directions, but to be able to compare like that is really good. Thanks for sharing!
In reply to Skyfall:

Thanks for this - the videos sound useful.

In reply to BRUCESTRAC:

Thanks for sharing that link. I'm not necessarily particularly committed towards Nikon or Canon, and already the Pentax options look worthy of further investigation.
In reply to ChrisJD:

Thanks for this - I'll investigate but I'm not sure, on very first impressions, that it's what I'm looking for. Happy to prove myself wrong though!
In reply to pjm:

Thanks for all of this. I agree that 'the best camera is the one you have with you/will take with you' so how it feels is essential - I made a mistake like that 20 years ago with a film Canon EOS, never again! Lots to think about/explore...
 ChrisJD 25 Jan 2016
In reply to Tall Clare:

> Thanks for this - I'll investigate but I'm not sure, on very first impressions, that it's what I'm looking for. Happy to prove myself wrong though!

Fuji-x cameras are the way forward
In reply to ChrisJD:

I do trust your opinion so will have a look
 ChrisJD 25 Jan 2016
In reply to Tall Clare:

I was thinking about how much you like 'older' film cameras (coughs), so I think you'll really like the Fuji-X design ethos and overall feel. The lenses have aperture rings
In reply to ChrisJD:

Haha! But I do also love my G16 with all its newfangled electrickery...
 kevin stephens 25 Jan 2016
In reply to Tall Clare:

I use a Canon G15, My DSLR is a Pentax KS2, which I chose as a cheaper and less bulky alternative to the highly regarded Pentax K3. I believe the KS2 is close in image quality to the K3 and I don't need the apparently faster auto focus etc.

I was blown away by the improvement in image quality of the KS2 compared to my much older Pentax K10D, and much better than the G15 too.

I guess all the major manufacturers have made similar advances too. They are all good and at least with Canon the menu and controls will be not too alien after using the G16.

I've always used Pentax and one advantage of the DSLRs is that you can still use the old second hand K series lenses from the film era, Pentax primes are great for this is you're into that sort of thing.

Because of my legacy lenses I was very tempted by the prospect of the new Pentax full frame, but realistically I think the current generation of APS-C sized sensor DSLRS already exceed the quality of 35mm film (I'd welcome contradiction) so I'm not convinced of the real world benefits of the extra cost of full frame.
 Sean Kelly 25 Jan 2016
In reply to Tall Clare:

1. the first decision you have to make is how much do you want to spend?
2. do you have any existing lens, and what fit are they?
3. do you want FX or DX format FX lenses are generally more expensive?
4. do you intend to expand the system?
5. what is the main use for the camera. If used in bad weather it needs to have weather sealing etc?
It's a bit like buying a car. How much and what's it for etc?
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Yep, I'm thinking about all that My request was for good research sources though!
In reply to Tall Clare:

I have an Olympus pen mini csc that I always have with me, unless I'm toting my 7d. However, when the shots really matter it's the 7d all the way. I love the way the size of the thing makes it super stable and all the controls fall right to hand and I can alter all the settings with it at my eye. Canon pro/semi pro dslrs are awesome.
 The New NickB 25 Jan 2016
In reply to ChrisJD:

> I was thinking about how much you like 'older' film cameras (coughs), so I think you'll really like the Fuji-X design ethos and overall feel. The lenses have aperture rings

The Fuji-X bodies are really appealing for lots of reasons, the thing that appealed most to me was that 56mm f1.2 you can get for them.
m0unt41n 26 Jan 2016
In reply to Sean Kelly:

> 1. the first decision you have to make is how much do you want to spend?

I think that should read Mr TC

I loved the bit in TC first comment:
" ....And while it sounds like budget isn't too much of a concern ....."

Maybe leave a few Leica leaflets around the house first to set the scene?
OP Tall Clare 26 Jan 2016
In reply to m0unt41n:

Hah! Though he's said if I want something in the price bracket of a 5DMkiii then that's okay, that's not my starting point - I'm more interested in getting what will suit me best.
Removed User 26 Jan 2016
In reply to Tall Clare:

Follow the Canikon sheeple round to a camera shop to see what mirrorless fits your hands.........

In reply to Removed User:

I think you've covered them all there!
 Robert Durran 26 Jan 2016
In reply to Tall Clare:
> Hah! Though he's said if I want something in the price bracket of a 5DMkiii then that's okay.

So you can get the X-Pro 2 then!
Post edited at 14:02
Removed User 26 Jan 2016
In reply to Tall Clare:

In fairness I had a crib sheet.
 Only a hill 26 Jan 2016
In reply to Tall Clare:

I think you'd really enjoy a Fuji X-series camera. My X-E1 is the only digital camera I've used that really feels like shooting with a film camera (but with absolutely top-notch image quality). You can even get adapters to use a range of vintage lenses – I often use my Pentax glass.

The new X-Pro 2 looks amazing!
In reply to Only a hill:

But as I said above, I'm not asking for recommendations for particular models - there have been some useful recommendations for comparison/review sites, which is what I was hoping for.

In reply to Only a hill:

As an aside, if I want vintage styling I can use one of my elderly cameras!
 James Rushforth Global Crag Moderator 26 Jan 2016
In reply to Tall Clare:

dpreview is excellent

Ken Rockwell is good for a quick review but is very much biased towards Canon / Nikon and makes money on been slightly controversial

which ( http://www.which.co.uk ) is excellent as well but sadly not free.

I know you didn't ask for the advice but I'd also very much suggest choosing a camera based on the lenses and not the body. The body will be out of date in 18 months, pro glass lasts 10 years or so however. Personally I'll replace the body every two years / 100,000 shutter actuations.

ChrisJD 26 Jan 2016
In reply to Tall Clare:

> But as I said above, I'm not asking for recommendations for particular models - there have been some useful recommendations for comparison/review sites, which is what I was hoping for.

lol, it's a forum, what did you expect !

In reply to ChrisJD:

True - I do live in hope though!
 Alan Breck 26 Jan 2016
In reply to Tall Clare:

Not too sure if it has been mentioned (got tired reading all the guff) but I've found: http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/digital_camera_and_lens_reviews.shtml

to be pretty useful.
 ChrisJD 27 Jan 2016
In reply to Tall Clare:

With that in mind, here is my contribution to research sites:

http://camerasize.com/compare/#650,312

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...