UKC

ARTICLE: 12 Climbing Adventures That Won't Break The Bank

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 26 Jan 2016
Wales in the sun, 4 kbBucket lists, tick lists, plans, holidays, trips, trip of a lifetime, longterm goals, ultimate routes. We've all got them, but do we all climb them?

The internet is awash with brightly coloured photos of stunning rock in amazing landscapes, but climbing adventures don't have to be in far flung corners of the globe. We've some amazing climbs right here in the UK or just a short hop away in Europe, and as the year splits nicely in to 12 months, here are 12 suggestions for a brilliant adventure that hopefully won't break the bank...

Read more

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 26 Jan 2016
In reply to UKC Articles:
Nice article - can I add:

13) Check the forecast then go on a UK roadtrip and kip in your car/van.

Chris
Post edited at 10:04
 Babika 26 Jan 2016

Brilliant article - really liked this!
Just what I needed on a windy dull January day to inspire me for 2016
 kwoods 26 Jan 2016
In reply to Chris Craggs:

> 13) Check the forecast then go on a UK roadtrip and kip in your car/van.

Sounds familiar!

To add
Play "lets see how cheap I can make this one" prior to leaving, then give into the temptation of the pub, bar meal and chippie (always on the way home), to realise on arrival back at said home that the trip cost as much as any other and bank account is in tears again.
 Kemics 26 Jan 2016
In reply to Chris Craggs:

I wonder if UKC could set up a couch surfing/ dirt bag support group. Offer up a place to have a shower and cook a decent meal
In reply to kwoods:

Every time Kevin!
 Intothevoid? 26 Jan 2016

"10. Summit an Alpine 4000'er. This could be one of the more expensive trips in this article, but to keep costs down avoid Switzerland"

Switzerland is expensive for some things, but Saas-Fee/Grund can be a cheap option as the lift/bus passes are included in the camping fees meaning there is tonnes that can be done in a day from the camp-site (Weismeiss probably being one of the easiest alpine 4000'ers).
 Sean Kelly 26 Jan 2016

Done nearly all of these Jack, but my bike had a puncture in Glen Carron (on the way to bag Lurg Mhor) and I recall that long tiring walk downhill back to the car. I had even checked out the first part of the route the previous evening to see that it was ok for biking!
 Mike Lates 26 Jan 2016
In reply to Intothevoid?:

Allalinhorn traditionally but I agree with your sentiments.
 BnB 26 Jan 2016
In reply to Sean Kelly:

I did that walk in and out to do the Munros in a (long) day. Very cheap though without the cost of a bike
 Jack Geldard 27 Jan 2016
In reply to Intothevoid?:

Good beta, thanks! I've never camped there.

Were you there last year? Good trip?

J

Great article and I support the idea of joining a club. The CC has loads of huts and both the A.C. and the CC are filled with dangerously inspirational people who can help advise you on how to have a bigger/cheaper/more epic adventure.

Thanks Jack for some timely inspiration as we endure this current spell of poor conditions.
 BrendanO 29 Jan 2016

Great article - lots of affordable and realistic options, and yep, when you're recently unemployed, you've got a head cold, and you've been woken by the noise of the wind playing with upstairs' balcony furniture, this is a nice positive uplifting thing to read, dream, and maybe determine to do!

Can vouch for Sandwood Bay (who wouldn't?) but have not climbed when there...yet!

Thanks Jack.

What a great article. Just such a good antidote to the travel supplement articles aimed at people with no skill and huge disposable income
 mikewhite 11 Feb 2016
Great ideas - and another one - canoeing in, bivvying/camping and then walk/climb. Fr’instance, along Loch Quoich into Knoydart but there’s plenty more to choose from.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...