UKC

Treadmill or not, the debate continues!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rampikino 28 Jan 2016
I noticed this yesterday and it did raise my eyebrows.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-35399598

I never run on the treadmill, for a number of reasons but not least because I find it incredibly boring but also feel that it doesn't help me with preparations for road races.

How comparable treadmill running is to road running is very interesting. This article seems to suggest that the gap is not as wide as people think.

About 4 years ago I ran the London Marathon with the missus and logged every single run - distance and time. In amongst it all is a single instance of running on a treadmill. The distance that the treadmill told us we had done versus the time taken just didn't stack up. We were generally doing around 9 minute miles and the treadmill session, when looked on the graph, was a massive outlier.

Plus I have always wondered about the effects of turning up the speed and having the "road" actively running towards you as you lift your legs and not just you pushing against the road...
 Yanis Nayu 28 Jan 2016
In reply to Rampikino:

Aside from comparibility, just why would you?!
 The New NickB 28 Jan 2016
In reply to Rampikino:

I hate the things and whilst I run almost every day, pretty much never use them. I have however run a sub 17 5k on a treadmill, when despite trying quite hard I have never broken 18 on the road. Make of that what you will!
 drolex 28 Jan 2016
In reply to Rampikino:

At the moment I run 2 to 3 times a week on a treadmill. As you said, it is very boring, but for different reasons I don't have much of a choice if I want to get some mileage (I still manage to escape once a week for a longish run outside). Being very boring, it's hard for me to run over 30 minutes on a treadmill, which is a problem in itself.

Other issues include:
- it's boring (did I say that)
- it's too easy - I have to massively increase the slope to match my indoor pace to my outdoor pace

Advantages:
- it's quite soft for the knees
- a variety of workouts, actually quite helpful to make some speed gain
- the fact that it is easy gives a nice confidence boost to have a feeling of what you can achieve (e.g. if you can run X km in Y minutes on a flat treadmill, it makes you confident you can improve on road to achieve that as well)

All in all I'd rather run outside, but it's better than nothing. The biggest issue is to find the motivation to run indoors, because it's boring.
 wbo 28 Jan 2016
In reply to Rampikino: I'll do it if conditions are very bad, particularly cold, and I want to run intervals, but I don't like them and there's certainly a trick to running on them that makes them a bit 'soft' unless you notch up the incline.

Wonrek 28 Jan 2016
In reply to Rampikino:

As an aid to training it has a place, it can't recreate or replace the experience and benefits of (Off!) road running and I think the article concludes that.

To each their own, I like nothing more than a gnarly mountainous trail preferably in the depths of winter but I'm the first to realise that I'm the odd one out on this, especially amongst women runners!
 Lee Sutcliffe 28 Jan 2016
In reply to Rampikino:

I'm not runner, have never pretended to me but always struggled to do more than 10 minutes on a treadmill. It is far too boring and time just seems to drag.

For my cardio fix, I've since started doing about 5km runs, twice a week or so through my local park and woods - most of which is off-road. I find this much more pleasant - even in the dark, wind and rain.

I may even be starting to enjoy this running malarkey.
 bowls 28 Jan 2016
In reply to Rampikino:

Just my two cents on this subject, -coming from a fairly solid running background:

3:41 - 1500m
14:19 - 5000m
30:12 10K

currently aiming for a sub 2:30 marathon in my old age..

I do use treadmills occasionally, but there has to be a specific reason to use them. The overall effect your body gets from running outdoors is superior, particulalry the muscles - they get used to running on uneven surfaces, even a flat road has uneveness about it and wind resistance! However, there are some times when a treadmill makes sense. For example, if you are in a flat area and you want to run long hills or if outside it is icy and the risk of running outdoors doesn't make sense. I probably do a treadmill run once a fortnight as a tempo/threshold run for 30-40 which is run at a "comfortably hard pace" - roughly marathon pace cutting down to half marathon pace.

I actually find the pace on a treadmill harder work than say if I run the same session at the same pace on flat park roads/on the track. There are a few reasons for this from my perspective...

- It is boring..
- My feet tend to get sore on a treadmill for too long
- The air is stuffy
- The gym is warm

However, I do find there are some benefits. It makes you run economically, during a tempo/threshold run you do tire, however the treadmill stays constant, in fact I usually increase the pace towards the end. It makes you focus on running form and stay strong. Helps improve rhythm etc. I also work in London and will struggle to find somewhere to run at lunch where I can run 40mins uninterrupted at this pace - this I can do on the treadmill.

Like everything in life, moderation is the key... Don't do too much on the treadmill, but in my opinion it is not an easy option...
 Roadrunner5 28 Jan 2016
In reply to Rampikino:

The 1% rule is pretty good.

I find them OK but tend to do rep sessions as they help the time to pass.

I used to do it quite a bit. The main issue is using poor treadmills in hotels which aren't calibrated, the pace can seem well off but most at larger gyms tend to be pretty accurate.
OP Rampikino 28 Jan 2016
In reply to bowls:

> Just my two cents on this subject, -coming from a fairly solid running background:

> 3:41 - 1500m

> 14:19 - 5000m

> 30:12 10K

> currently aiming for a sub 2:30 marathon in my old age..

A bit of an understatement there - assuming 14:19 is your 5k PB, that would be enough to win most races and would be the course record on most parkruns!
Moley 28 Jan 2016
In reply to Rampikino:

The key issue regards fitness benefit of a treadmill, is how long you can actually run on one before wanting to kill yourself out of boredom.

Some people seem to have the mental ability to cope for hours on a treadmill, the few times I used one, about 10 minutes was my limit. So it was crap for my fitness. Undoubtedly they have their place as a training aid, but if I had started my running life on a treadmill in the gym I would have given up in a week.
 wbo 28 Jan 2016
In reply to bowls:
Ooh I've never said my pb's but we're about the same at 5k.

The advantage of treadmills for longer pace runs is also that most people are so bad at pacing getting them right outdoors is near impossible with a huge trend to overestimate actual pace
 TomBaker 28 Jan 2016
In reply to Rampikino:

Competing for GB under 23 according to the profile so i can well believe it.
In reply to Rampikino:

Running outside is always better for me, except:

- Treadmill can be great for speed/ 'fartlek' training. i.e. alternate fast and slow, works the heart more and develops running speed
- When I'm being nesh enough that it's either run in the cosy warm gym, or not at all
OP Rampikino 28 Jan 2016
In reply to TomBaker:

> Competing for GB under 23 according to the profile so i can well believe it.

Oh I'm not doubting it - just impressed!

In reply to Rampikino:

> A bit of an understatement there - assuming 14:19 is your 5k PB, that would be enough to win most races and would be the course record on most parkruns!

That is 5000m on the track. It's certainly good running, but would be a lap and a half behind Farah at his best.
OP Rampikino 28 Jan 2016
In reply to The New NickB:

I would bite my arm off to finish that close to Farah in a 5k!
 john arran 28 Jan 2016
In reply to The New NickB:

> I hate the things and whilst I run almost every day, pretty much never use them. I have however run a sub 17 5k on a treadmill, when despite trying quite hard I have never broken 18 on the road. Make of that what you will!

I've done a fair bit of treadmill slog in hotels and the calibration of machines can vary hugely. I used to like going to one hotel in particular purely because it stoked my ego and congratulated me on going quite a lot quicker than I was actually running!
In reply to john arran:

It probably wasn't far out, it may have been slightly short, but probably not much, just lifting your legs is a lot easier than actual running. I run enough to judge the pace.
XXXX 28 Jan 2016
In reply to fairweatherclimber:

An entry level gps watch does away with the need for treadmills. You can do intervals as part of a single loop outdoors. Lovely.
In reply to XXXX:

Sure.

I just like the complete focus on distance and pace that a treadmill gives.
paulcarey 28 Jan 2016
In reply to Rampikino:

Please don't re start the whole plane on a treadmill thread.....
 Weekend Punter 01 Feb 2016
In reply to Rampikino:

I'm currently recovering from a calf injury (nothing too serious) and find the treadmill is a good way to ease myself back into running. I think this is for reasons other people have stated being the level ground and additional cushioning.

Although I regard the monotony as good mental training I can't wait to be back outdoors
 Run_Ross_Run 01 Feb 2016
In reply to Rampikino:

Jumped back on my T/mill this morning, last time was about 18 months ago (been road running in between).

Only managed 4 k before boredom made me give in. Felt more knackered than when I do 8k on the road.

They have their place but you can't beat the real thing.
 walts4 02 Feb 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

> Aside from comparibility, just why would you?!

As a aid in the recovery program after a serious ankle break last year, I found treadmills very beneficial.
Starting with walking uphill at various inclinations to kick start the movement range & increase the fitness to interval running to restart actual full on running. Eventually after months, finally back to full on running, so, yes, treadmills are a useful resource.
But the boredom, that's a separate issue & you really need to have a real motivational reason to want to use them...
Amanda Simon 02 Feb 2016
In reply to Rampi

I think treadmill is not good. Instead of that you can do jogging. Because in treadmill you only walk or run on one platform means their is no puts and downs. Whiling doing jogging you can face many platforms like ups and downs.
 tony 02 Feb 2016
In reply to walts4:

> As a aid in the recovery program after a serious ankle break last year, I found treadmills very beneficial.

> Starting with walking uphill at various inclinations to kick start the movement range & increase the fitness to interval running to restart actual full on running. Eventually after months, finally back to full on running, so, yes, treadmills are a useful resource.

In addition, you can jump off a treadmill if and when a recovering injury starts showing signs of reappearing. That's a lot more convenient than having to stop miles from anywhere when that niggling calf goes from merely niggling to really hurting.

But once you're up and running again properly, they're no real substitute for the real thing.

wbo 02 Feb 2016
In reply to Rampikino: It's top 20 in the UK apparently , so yes 14.19 is good running.

Even tho' I have some strong opinions on that being a top 20 time, I will still say that it's more than solid running, and kudos bowls for getting it done. Good 1500 too - much better than mine.

Bowls - have you 'retired'?

bowls 03 Feb 2016
In reply to wbo:

retired? Well stopped running properly in 2005, got close to 14 stone and started running again 2 years ago. now back to 31 min 10k and aiming for sub 2:30 in London this year -up to 80-90mpw. The 14:19 was below what I should have run -the 3:41 is a much better time!

As for treadmill -certainly agree about helping coming back from injury and not having to hobble 5 miles home!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...