UKC

what womens baselayer leggings for winter?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 pebbles 29 Jan 2016
this year I decided to treat myself to some proper merino baselayers for ice and winter climbing. only I really need women specific fit - I'm quite little. long sleeved tees - easy peasy, alpkit kepler looks like a good bet. But there seems to be very limited choice in merino base layer leggings for women - plenty for blokes, but for some strange reason very little for lasses! do they not think we do winter climbing or something? Found icevbreaker oasis on Gear For Girls - thought that might do it - but wait, description says "200 lightweight - best for moderate to cool conditions". Doh! I'm going to norway, its -17 at the moment, thats not cool its downright cold. Any suggestions? I'm 5'4"/ 162cm and a size 10, and I dont want to be freezing my ass off belaying in the rjukan gorge
 Roberttaylor 29 Jan 2016
In reply to pebbles:

Funny, I just got back from Rjukan. Enjoy your trip!

Don't bother with merino, get ronhills. 1/4 the price, they wick better and will keep you warmer.

R

Heike 29 Jan 2016
In reply to pebbles:

I only ever wear a pair of power stretch trousers for walk in etc, and then put on some waterproofs when I get to the climb (unless it's totally mining on the walk-in . Keeps me warm from Scotland to Greenland, but not too hot on walk-in. Merino makes me itchy. There are lots of brands doing them, North Face, Marmot, Mountain equipment in xs - XL.
 BnB 29 Jan 2016
In reply to Heike:

I do similar, but with a pair of fleece-lined softshell trousers that repel wind and a degree of rain so as rarely to feel the need of the overtrouser until the standing around, I mean climbing, starts.
OP pebbles 29 Jan 2016
In reply to Roberttaylor:

any beta? is the river frozen up properly yet? looks like theres tons of stuff accessable in the lower gorge this year
In reply to pebbles:

http://www.blacks.co.uk/womens/041695-peter-storm-women-s-merino-baselayer-...

£15... [hmm: I see only M (12) and L (14) seem to be available...]

I see these are a merino/polyester blend. I have a number of ALS/Peter Storm merino items, bought over a number of years. They started using MAPP merino (same as Arc'teryx), then moved to The Merino Company. No idea what the latest is. They seem as good as any merino, and as bad (i.e. not robust, subject to attack by carpet beetle larvae, etc).

The polyester blend will probably make them more robust.

I confess that, whilst I love the lack of pong that merino offers, their durability just isn't up to that of synthetics.

For -17C? PowerStretch. Or Primaloft...
 Robert Durran 29 Jan 2016
In reply to Roberttaylor:
> Don't bother with merino, get ronhills. 1/4 the price, they wick better and will keep you warmer.

Or just about anything other than merino. Merino must have had about the most successful marketing ever for something which doesn't actually work.

Tall Clare 29 Jan 2016
In reply to pebbles:

Another vote for power stretch - it's wonderful stuff.
 moneykat 29 Jan 2016
In reply to pebbles: def agree with the other ladies, you wont go far wrong with powerstretch. I have Rab ones, much better and warmer than Merino which seems to move about and go baggy on me for some reason.

eltankos 29 Jan 2016
In reply to pebbles:

Aldi are doing merino stuff at the moment, although how the fit is is anyones guess
OP pebbles 29 Jan 2016
In reply to eltankos:

worth a look though, a few times I'v bought their stuff thinking "at under a tenner it'll do for a short while" and ended up with it as a favourite bit of kit!!!!
In reply to Robert Durran:

No pong certainly works for merino.

Wicking; about the same as most synthetics. Warmth ditto.

Durability not so much...
 wbo 30 Jan 2016
In reply to pebbles: or wait till you're in Norway and get the women's specific stuff from Kari Traa, johaug or others that will be in most sports shops. The Kari Traa stuff might be on sale, Johaug is new still and a bit pricey.

Merino has always worked quite well for me

OP pebbles 30 Jan 2016
In reply to wbo:
Ooo. . There's a thought! Have ordered some stuff now but I'll take a look when I'm there anyway.
 planetmarshall 30 Jan 2016
In reply to Robert Durran:

I find it pretty warm, so I'd say it works from that perspective. Expensive and fragile, though. I'd agree with the Power stretch recommendations.
 Dark-Cloud 30 Jan 2016
In reply to planetmarshall:

Another powerfleece (insert manufacturers name for it here) user here, I have a north face pair and a marmot pair, wouldn't use anything else on my legs now for skiing/climbing.

Personally i have never really got on with Merino, i don't think it wicks very well, its clammy when wet and add to that it irritates me.
 wbo 30 Jan 2016
In reply to pebbles: keep an eye out for XXL sport , although they stock a lot of stuff except Kari Traa - for that look in mxSport or G sport, and buy in as big a place as you go through. Mrs. WBo recommends it and she knows what she's talking about.

You should go for bust and pick up a cross country ski pack at the same time

iksander 30 Jan 2016
In reply to pebbles:

Get some Brynje while you're out there. The Skoda of baselayers.
OP pebbles 30 Jan 2016
In reply to iksander:

Will plan a shopping stop at intersport!!
 galpinos 30 Jan 2016
In reply to pebbles:

I would second/third/whatever power stretch over merino. I have merino t-shirts I love but for winter, grided fleece or synthetic base for me. Merino just gets wet and stays wet then falls apart.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...