UKC

House of The Rising Sun.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
andymac 29 Jan 2016
I know Eric Burden, and The Animals didn't write the original lyrics , but 'House....' Is ,imo one of the outstanding songs that came out of the 60s.

Currently obsessed with watching the suited and booted Animals clip of the song on YouTube .Just a great song.

Eric Burden has an aura about him.

I would go as far as saying that the Animals were probably one of the most underrated bands of the time ,and had they not disbanded early ,they may have gone to great things.

I didn't know that Chas Chandler (bass) went on to be Jimi Hendrix's manager.
And furthermore that Eric Burden was first on scene after the sad demise of Hendrix in a London hotel.
 mountainbagger 29 Jan 2016
In reply to andymac:

I love that song. When I was in a band at school we'd always play it. In fact our entire practice session (2 hrs) was often taken up by playing the song then launching into an endless repeat of the chord sequence whilst I got totally immersed in a great example of guitar solo w*nkery. I think my bandmates were enjoying themselves, particularly the singer who was done after a couple of minutes!
 mark hounslea 29 Jan 2016
In reply to andymac:
Although I like the animals version, the fact that they swapped the gender of the narrator from the original grates a little. After all it's the classic prostitute song
 Phil Anderson 02 Feb 2016
In reply to andymac:

A week or so back I saw the truly legendary John Otway perform it in his inimitable style, including the requisiste heckling...

There is [What?] a house [Where?] in New Orleans [What's it called?] etc.

When he recorded it at Abbey Road, 1000 of his fans turned up to heckle. The only way he could get them in was to claim they were a choir. AFAIK it's still the largest choir ever to have recorded at Abbey Road.
In reply to andymac:

You can also find clips on Youtube of EB still giving it large in Newcastle pubs at the age of seventy or whatever he is now. I can't decide whether that's comforting or a saddening memento mori.

jcm
In reply to mark hounslea:

> Although I like the animals version, the fact that they swapped the gender of the narrator from the original grates a little. After all it's the classic prostitute song

Never heard of male prostitutes?!

jcm
 Tony the Blade 02 Feb 2016
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

> Never heard of male prostitutes?!

Yes, but never a brothel with only male prostitutes at work.

In reply to Tony the Blade:

You haven't lived.

jcm
 Rob Naylor 02 Feb 2016
In reply to Clinger:

> When he recorded it at Abbey Road, 1000 of his fans turned up to heckle. The only way he could get them in was to claim they were a choir. AFAIK it's still the largest choir ever to have recorded at Abbey Road.

And every one of the "choir" got into the credits...."after all, that guaranteed at least 1,000 CD sales", as Otway said at the time!

Mick Ward 02 Feb 2016
In reply to andymac:

> Currently obsessed with watching the suited and booted Animals clip of the song on YouTube .Just a great song.

Absolutely. It doesn't get much better, but...

> Eric Burden has an aura about him.

Wow - doesn't he just! He looks a right evil bastard, invoking terror into the other band members. Alan Price looks cool as f*ck but the bit where Burden marches the guitar players along and stands over Price and the drummer... not nice. It reminds me of teachers at school who had reigns of terror. You can sense Price's relief when he moves on.

Somebody please tell me that I'm completely wrong and he's a really nice guy. Credit where it's due though, nice guy or not, it's a stunning performance, fresh as today, more than 50 years on.

Mick

andymac 02 Feb 2016
In reply to Mick Ward:
> Absolutely. It doesn't get much better, but...

> Wow - doesn't he just! He looks a right evil bastard, invoking terror into the other band members. Alan Price looks cool as f*ck but the bit where Burden marches the guitar players along and stands over Price and the drummer... not nice. It reminds me of teachers at school who had reigns of terror. You can sense Price's relief when he moves on.

> Somebody please tell me that I'm completely wrong and he's a really nice guy. Credit where it's due though, nice guy or not, it's a stunning performance, fresh as today, more than 50 years on.

> Mick

I'm doing a lot of reading on this.

Alan Price says that they (the band) never got along from the get go.And that he (Price)struggled to get them to rehearse ,write etc.

Women ,drink ,and women were the order of the day.

That's Price's version though.and yes he does look like a cool cat sitting in command of his Vox.

Burdon wasn't to be messed with by all accounts.He is now a US citizen.

The really interesting character in the life and times of The Animals was their manager ,Michael Jeffery.

He allegedly ran of into the sunset with all the bands money ,and apart from that was a seriously dubious character.

An ex MI6 agent , He stood accused of ,amongst other things,being involved in Jimi Hendrix's death.
Post edited at 18:52
 Mick Ward 02 Feb 2016
In reply to andymac:

> The really interesting character in the life and times of The Animals was their manager ,Michael Jeffery.

> He allegedly ran of into the sunset with all the bands money ,and apart from that was a seriously dubious character.

> An ex MI6 agent , He stood accused of ,amongst other things,being involved in Jimi Hendrix's death.

Holy shit! I can well imagine Price struggling to get them to get their act together. He always seemed a very reasonable (and talented) guy. And you think, well, they were all very young and probably a bit crazy. But I still don't have a great feeling about Burden as a person, rather than a musician.

But didn't know about the manager. Mind you, didn't know until a couple of weeks ago how much Bowie's manager had been scamming him. But this guy sounds something else.

Seemingly Hendrix was a gentle, endearingly shy guy, beneath the wild man image. So sad to have gone so young...

Mick
andymac 02 Feb 2016
In reply to Mick Ward:
> Holy shit! I can well imagine Price struggling to get them to get their act together. He always seemed a very reasonable (and talented) guy. And you think, well, they were all very young and probably a bit crazy. But I still don't have a great feeling about Burden as a person, rather than a musician.

> But didn't know about the manager. Mind you, didn't know until a couple of weeks ago how much Bowie's manager had been scamming him. But this guy sounds something else.

> Seemingly Hendrix was a gentle, endearingly shy guy, beneath the wild man image. So sad to have gone so young...

> Mick

Jeffery and Hendrix are worth reading up on.

Towards the end ,Hendrix was a tortured soul .and terrified of his manager ,Jeffery.
Post edited at 00:01
 Mick Ward 03 Feb 2016
In reply to andymac:

Again didn't know anything of that. I suppose when you're a kid (and I was, at the time) you simply think of these people as gods - and, yes, musically they are. But you naively think they're having the time of their lives when, all too often it appears, the reality could not have been more different. You're right, I need to go back and read up on what happened, try to understand.

Some years ago, I met a guy who'd been the manager of Mungo Jerry for a while. Apparently they said he was the only manager they ever had who didn't rip them off! When he first met them (post 'In the Summer Time') they were skint. He lent them £200 (worth a lot more then) to go to Germany. They thought there was a catch - but he said, "It's just an offer from a fan. If you can pay me back, then great. If not, no worries."

They paid him back. Later he became their manager. Although, later still, they parted, it seems to have been entirely amicable. So it's good there was some honour out there.

Mick
 Big Ger 03 Feb 2016
In reply to Clinger:

I was one!!
 Rob Exile Ward 03 Feb 2016
In reply to Mick Ward:

I had the impression that one of the reasons that the band split up was disagreement about royalties - Price thought he was due more than he got because of the distinctive keyboard. But he appears in Don't Look Back, with Bob Dylan, and as you say seems a funny, cool and incredibly talented musician.

Burden appeared with Springsteen in his last tour of the UK at Cardiff. I was there! Seemed a bit like the Boss was repaying a debt to me, he certainly didn't add much to an already extraordinary gig - I'd rather remember him in his growling, snarling pomp.
 Mick Ward 03 Feb 2016
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

Well, those early ones of The River; if you have tears, then weep.

'Now all them things that seemed so important
Well mister they vanished right into the air
Now I just act like I don't remember
Mary acts like she don't care...'

It doesn't really get much more poignant.

Maybe best to remember The Boss at his best.

Mick
 Rob Exile Ward 03 Feb 2016
In reply to Mick Ward:

Hey, you misunderstand - my mistake! Even last year the Boss was awesome - I can't imagine that he had ever been better. It was extraordinary, seeing him being practically being dragged off the stage by roadies in high vis jackets, who needed to crack on, and dismantle the set - after 4 hours of note-perfect performance, he just wanted to keep on playing.

I'd have given a lot to see him and Bob Dylan together, - who, lest we forget, was apprehended in New Jersey a couple of years ago, looking up Springsteen's old home.

Chris the Tall 03 Feb 2016
In reply to Rob Naylor:

> And every one of the "choir" got into the credits...."after all, that guaranteed at least 1,000 CD sales", as Otway said at the time!

Far more than 1000 sales - bet you can guess what every one of our relatives got for Christmas that year !
andymac 03 Feb 2016
Royalties always cause rifts in bands,and often a parting of the ways.

The House of the Rising Sun royalties all went to Alan Price.only because Jeffery and the producers advised that all the band members names would not fit on the sleeve.It was agreed,naively, that this was a minor detail.And that the royalties would be divided equally afterwards.

Schoolboy error .always read the small print.

Alan Price ,allegedly ,decided the royalties were all his.

The parting of the ways came when Price's organ was stolen after a gig.He asked the rest of the band to chip in for a new organ.Understandably ,they refused.and Price walked.

The 1983 reunion fell flat on its face ,when Price again refused to share the 20 year old royalties with the rest of the band.

Easy to see how the band fell apart.I would certainly have been pissed off if one of my team was getting more than their fair share.
Post edited at 21:32
 Mick Ward 03 Feb 2016

> ...after 4 hours of note-perfect performance, he just wanted to keep on playing.

Extremely impressive - and good to know. If you truly love it, then just keep on doing it...

Mick

Mick Ward 03 Feb 2016
In reply to andymac:

> Alan Price ,allegedly ,decided the royalties were all his.

Eek! Bloody hell. And he always seemed such a nice guy. My mistake.

Mick

andymac 03 Feb 2016
In reply to Mick Ward:
> Eek! Bloody hell. And he always seemed such a nice guy. My mistake.

> Mick

There's often ,and sometimes always, two sides to a story.
Post edited at 22:46
 Mick Ward 04 Feb 2016
In reply to andymac:

It was a bit of a shock. But you're absolutely right; I don't know enough about it and should suspend judgement.

On a happier note - some years ago, during a long, boring car journey, I switched on the radio and caught an interview with... well I couldn't work out who for quite a while. But t'was another lad from the North-East, one Alvin Stardust! He'd also had not so stellar experiences with managers but now (well, then) he was free of all that, working with a small, independent label, putting out stuff that both he and they liked, doing small-scale performances all over the country to people who wanted him. I don't know whether he'd been bitter (God knows I'm still bitter about editors/publishers) but he seemed to have outgrown any bitterness and just loved doing what he was doing. Sad that he died but at least he seemed to have found fulfilment near the end.

Mick
 MikeTS 04 Feb 2016
In reply to andymac:

Assume they are miming. in the 64 clip. And why did they all think at this time they had to wear matching strange suits?
 flopsicle 04 Feb 2016
In reply to andymac:

I saw them at a festival in Uttoxeter! House of the Rising Sun live did not disappoint...
andymac 04 Feb 2016
In reply to MikeTS:

Definately miming.which was the norm for a Promo video .Then and now.certain the Beatles are miming in most of their videos.

Note,also, that the guitars are not plugged in ,or the organ .which moves around the stage as the song goes on.

The only noise would have come from the drummer .

But there ends the manufactured pop band impression.

They were the real deal .and walked the walk.

As Flopsicle can confirm.

MikeTS 06 Feb 2016
In reply to andymac:

I can still clearly remember when I first heard their release of House of the Rising Sun, on the radio at home. Huge impact.
 Bootrock 20 Feb 2016
In reply to mark hounslea:
I disagree, its an old folk song, and doesn't have a recognised song writer. While Nina Simone sang a version in the Early 60s, there was a fair few covers before. And the earliest known version was 2 blokes, under "Rising Sun Blues". Who apparently learnt it from one of their granddads. I wouldn't say it directly links to only prostitution. But lyrics are open to interpretation.

Interestingly although Dylan covered it before the Animals, he stopped singing it after he was accused of plagiarism after the Animals released their version.

The Animals version is outstanding. And so is the cover by The White Buffalo during the Sons of Anarchy TV series.
Post edited at 22:37
 gd303uk 21 Feb 2016
In reply to andymac:

A bit of a beautifully filthy version by Frijid Pink, I had this single.

youtube.com/watch?v=-1ewjU5GRck&
 Andy Morley 21 Feb 2016
In reply to Bootrock:

> there was a fair few covers before.

Woodie Guthrie amongst others
andymac 21 Feb 2016
In reply to gd303uk:

> A bit of a beautifully filthy version by Frijid Pink, I had this single.

I dig it,man.
In reply to andymac:

I find it amazing how a simple post affects me, the Pink started me off and I remembered Pretty in Pink youtube.com/watch?v=pqmTMiIMG74& this then resulted in me thinking about Matt Fretton (or more honestly his sister) http://www.electricity-club.co.uk/matt-fretton-1964-2013/

Look after your minds.

(I will be quite about the mind thing from now on).
 Rob Davies 27 Feb 2016
In reply to Bootrock:

The American composer George Crumb has written a wonderfully weird and evocative version of "House of the Rising Sun" as part of his "American Songbook V, Voices from a Forgotten World". The note with the CD (Bridge Records) says:

"The House of the Rising Sun" first came to notice in a 1934 recording. Its original creators are unknown, although folklorist Allan Lomax attributed the melody to a traditional English ballad and the words to two men from Kentucky. Over the years it was recorded by several other country and folksingers including Woody Guthrie and Bob Dylan, but the most famous version is probably the 1964 recording by the rock group The Animals.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...