UKC

Driver not providing details loophole

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 CurlyStevo 03 Feb 2016
Wow I'm surprised they got away with this one. The law needs sorting out so this can't happen so easily.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-35472617
 The Potato 03 Feb 2016
In reply to CurlyStevo:

A-holes, if somebody had been killed or if it had been a collision with another vehicle they would have easily found out who was driving. Surely somebody had registered to hire the car!??
OP CurlyStevo 03 Feb 2016
In reply to Pesda potato:

two people registered but the responsible person refused to say who was driving and the police couldn't prove it. I've heard of people getting away with speeding tickets using the same blag.
 the sheep 03 Feb 2016
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Charge them both then. Scumbags!
 bigbobbyking 03 Feb 2016
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Seems ridiculous that the fine for failing to provide driver details is so low compared to the fine for almost any other offence.
 The New NickB 03 Feb 2016
In reply to bigbobbyking:

> Seems ridiculous that the fine for failing to provide driver details is so low compared to the fine for almost any other offence.

It was £150 wasn't it, plus 6 points. More than most speeding penalties. I guess it is a catch all for people trying to avoid fines and points for less serious offences.

The problem here seems to be the CPS not treating the offence with the appropriate seriousness.
 Dauphin 03 Feb 2016
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Seems odd that they were unable to identify the driver/ passenger with number of video cameras on the streets these days, plus all the triangulation data from mobile phones signals.

D
 Andy Hardy 03 Feb 2016
In reply to CurlyStevo:

That is surely a case of joint enterprise - i.e. do them both for GBH
 gethin_allen 03 Feb 2016
In reply to CurlyStevo:
This is just bloody criminal
There should be some law to say that in the case where a owner withholds information about the driver of a vehicle they are responsible for they are liable to the full extent for any crimes committed with the vehicle.
 balmybaldwin 03 Feb 2016
In reply to CurlyStevo:
It's an utter disgrace. I would add to calls to prosecute both possible drivers, and add that the hiring company should be prosecuted under HSE legislation or similar (much the same as the vehicle owner can be prosecuted for allowing an uninsured person to drive their vehicle).

The police's efforts may or may not have been thorough, but I doubt the drivers face was obscured on every cctv camera they passed on that journey.

Interestingly a colleague deliberately squeezed by the driver, was punched and told to "Die Prick" by the passenger of a van in Farnham on Sunday whilst cycling along minding his own business (Fortunately he wasn't knocked off and got the number plate) . Having reported this to the police, within an hour they came back to say they weren't taking it any further as there was no proof who was driving or in the passenger seat.

In my mind that means they simply didn't bother. There wasn't enough time elapsed between the crime report being filed and being told they weren't taking it any further to even visit the owner and ask who was driving etc.

Realistically there is no real chance of a prosecution here, but every opportunity for the boys in blue to re-educate the van owner on his (or his employee's behaviour). After all, most vans are work vehicles which means a Sunday driver is most likely its owner.

And people wonder why so many cyclists film everything
Post edited at 16:33
 dread-i 03 Feb 2016
In reply to CurlyStevo:

How do you think he'd get on with a private prosecution?
The burden of proof is lower and there are no shortage of ambulance chasers offering no win no fee.
 ByEek 03 Feb 2016
In reply to Pesda potato:

> A-holes, if somebody had been killed or if it had been a collision with another vehicle they would have easily found out who was driving.

How? If there are two potential candidates but no evidence to suggest one or the other, just how exactly do you prove murder?
Lusk 03 Feb 2016
In reply to ByEek:

Similar to identical twins, one of whom commits murder, both can't be charged/convicted.
But maybe not for much longer ... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-25371014
In reply to ByEek:

> How? If there are two potential candidates but no evidence to suggest one or the other, just how exactly do you prove murder?

You gather evidence! Can you prove one of them was elsewhere? Do mobile phone records put one of them in the car? When pressure is applied, does one snitch on the other?
In reply to ByEek:
Yeah it seems to me a fundamental issue with the law, perhaps there should be serious consequences to withholding or giving false information in this regard. Such that if the cyclist could identify the driver in a line up or they were caught on camera being the driver and they hadn't provided details they would be looking at a much more serious offence (when more than one person is involved it would also carry an additional conspiracy charge).
Post edited at 17:09
 balmybaldwin 03 Feb 2016
In reply to CurlyStevo:

An added perverting the course of justice conviction (punishment to be consecutive not concurrent) would seem suitable.
 MG 03 Feb 2016
In reply to CurlyStevo:

It's a pretty fundamental aspect of the law, I thought, that there is no requirement to incriminate yourself or others. The obvious proximity of innocent and guilty in this case makes it seem absurd, but changing the rules generally would cause many more severe problems.
 wintertree 03 Feb 2016
In reply to balmybaldwin:

> I would add to calls to prosecute both possible drivers,

Have you thought this through?

One person was driving and the other one had nothing to do with the incident what so ever. They both say "it wasn't me". Are you seriously advocating the punishment of one innocent person to get one guilty person? Is that a precedent you wish to set.

There was an incident in Newcastle a few years ago where the two miscreants in a car that killed someone refused to say who was driving, and the outcome was similar to this case. I don't think that "joint enterprise" can be applied to an accident, as there was no joint intent.
In reply to MG:

Its already a criminal offense not to provide driver details.
Bogwalloper 03 Feb 2016
In reply to wintertree:

> Have you thought this through?

> One person was driving and the other one had nothing to do with the incident what so ever. They both say "it wasn't me". Are you seriously advocating the punishment of one innocent person to get one guilty person? Is that a precedent you wish to set.

> There was an incident in Newcastle a few years ago where the two miscreants in a car that killed someone refused to say who was driving, and the outcome was similar to this case. I don't think that "joint enterprise" can be applied to an accident, as there was no joint intent.

Always worked at school when the teacher punished the whole class for one person's misdemeanour. The perp usually got grassed on pretty quick or shamed into owning up.

Anyway if the police refused to pursue this and it was me the law would definitely be going into my own hands.

Wally
 MG 03 Feb 2016
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Yes, and that is a (somewhat controversial) exception.
In reply to wintertree:

That seems like a ridiculous loophole. So two people in a car kill someone potentially deliberately with their car and then they both jump in the back seat and refuse to say who's driving and neither can be prosecuted even if it was on camera that no one got in to or left the car? Seriously that is broken and both of them should be liable for something pretty serious.
 balmybaldwin 03 Feb 2016
In reply to CurlyStevo
> Its already a criminal offense not to provide driver details.

with a punishment that is less than the punishment for dangerous driving it doesn't really work does it?
 MG 03 Feb 2016
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Whats special about the car scenario? Generally, if it is known one of two people is a murderer, do you want to punish both? What happens when both say it was the other?
In reply to MG:
Slightly different, in this case they are refusing to say who drove not both insisting it was the other. If you are suspected of murder but refuse to say if you murdered some one or not I don't think it would be seen as a very strong defence would it?
Post edited at 17:45
 FactorXXX 03 Feb 2016
In reply to Bogwalloper:

Anyway if the police refused to pursue this and it was me the law would definitely be going into my own hands.

It was the CPS that refused to pursue it and not the Police.

balmybaldwin 03 Feb 2016
In reply to wintertree:

> One person was driving and the other one had nothing to do with the incident what so ever. They both say "it wasn't me". Are you seriously advocating the punishment of one innocent person to get one guilty person? Is that a precedent you wish to set.

> There was an incident in Newcastle a few years ago where the two miscreants in a car that killed someone refused to say who was driving, and the outcome was similar to this case. I don't think that "joint enterprise" can be applied to an accident, as there was no joint intent.

I see no problem with charging both possible drivers with failing to disclose the details, and perverting the course of justice. Both are guilty of this offence so why was only one prosecuted?
 MG 03 Feb 2016
In reply to CurlyStevo:

It amounts to the same thing.
Bogwalloper 03 Feb 2016
In reply to FactorXXX:

My point still stands. People should not get away with stuff like that.

Wally

yes perverting the course of justice and some type of conspiracy
 MG 03 Feb 2016

No they aren't. Google it
 FactorXXX 03 Feb 2016
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Its already a criminal offense not to provide driver details.

The car owner (Hire Company) did provide details of the two eligible drivers.

In reply to MG:

Disagree as mentioned if there was circumstantial evidence against you for a murder, you may well bet tried, if your best defence was I'm not saying if I'm murderer or not (and nothing more) I don't think things would go well for you.
In reply to FactorXXX:

I believe from the conviction it was also their responsibility to further qualify who drove which is why one of them picked up a criminal conviction
 wintertree 03 Feb 2016
In reply to CurlyStevo:

> That seems like a ridiculous loophole. So two people in a car kill someone potentially deliberately with their car and then they both jump in the back seat and refuse to say who's driving and neither can be prosecuted even if it was on camera that no one got in to or left the car? Seriously that is broken and both of them should be liable for something pretty serious.

If it is deliberate then joint enterprise may apply. The problem of determining a liar from a truth teller is not a loophole, it is an ancient dilemma. If one person was absent, or was present and genuinely innocent, and the other lies - note only one person is lying, the guilty part y , and there is no physical evidence, what do you suggest we do? Torture both the guilty and the innocent parties? Violate both minds with an as yet hypothetical mind reader? Shoot them both full of opiates and ethanol and question them?

Any solution violates or punishes the innocent party, and reasonable people tend to prefer letting the occasional guilty person get away with it over knowingly and wilfully having the state violate innocent people.

This absolutely sucks.

If there was a non hypothetical unbeatable lie detector then the innocent persons testimony would be enough to put the guilty person away, but there is no such scientifically or legally recognised device AFAIK.
In reply to MG:

whether they were guilty of perverting the course of justice as the law stands now is irrelevant if in fact in sense they were guilty of that (as they both know who was driving).
 MG 03 Feb 2016
In reply to CurlyStevo:

But there isn't.

Anyway, how far are you extending this. If there were 10 possible drivers are they all punished? 100?
 Indy 03 Feb 2016
In reply to Bogwalloper:

> People should not get away with stuff like that.

Why should people incriminate themselves? it's for the prosecution to make the case not the defence.
 FactorXXX 03 Feb 2016
In reply to Bogwalloper:

My point still stands. People should not get away with stuff like that.

Which of the two drivers would you want prosecuted?
If neither are prosecuted, which one would you choose to deal with by your own means?
You have to choose one, otherwise an innocent person is being incorrectly punished. That's why the CPS decided not to take further action.
In reply to wintertree:

I agree but it seems ridiculous that their defence can be refusal to say who was driving. If their defence both was along the line of it was the other person at least they are both incriminated and can be further investigated. I see this as a significantly different scenario even if it seems an only minor change.
In reply to FactorXXX:
If two people were in a car and its reasonable to assume they both knew who was driving and the driver committed a crime there is no innocent party in the car if they refuse to say who was driving. I agree you may not be able to prosecute them for the crime the driver has committed but none the less they should both be held accountable for something.
Post edited at 17:57
 john arran 03 Feb 2016
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Do we even know that both were in the car?
 FactorXXX 03 Feb 2016
In reply to CurlyStevo:

If two people were in a car and its reasonable to assume they both knew who was driving and the driver committed a crime there is no innocent party in the car if they refuse to say who was driving.

Why do you assume they were both in the car at the time of the accident?
In reply to john arran:
Oh sorry I'm just talking hypothetically now regarding this apparent loophole. Mostly after wintree mentioned "
There was an incident in Newcastle a few years ago where the two miscreants in a car that killed someone refused to say who was driving, and the outcome was similar to this case. I don't think that "joint enterprise" can be applied to an accident, as there was no joint intent."

This seems particularly worrying and like a serious offense should have been committed by both of them.
Post edited at 18:03
 MG 03 Feb 2016
In reply to john arran:

Or indeed if a third, unauthorised person was driving?
In reply to FactorXXX:

> Its already a criminal offense not to provide driver details.

> The car owner (Hire Company) did provide details of the two eligible drivers.

Who failed to provide details of who was driving, one of them was convicted of this.

The problem appears to be that the crime of deliberately knocking the cyclist off their bike, wasn't considered serious enough to pursue with any real effort.
 MG 03 Feb 2016
In reply to The New NickB:

> The problem appears to be that the crime of deliberately knocking the cyclist off their bike, wasn't considered serious enough to pursue with any real effort.

Exactly. Or possibly this was an unfortunate case where it really wasn't possible to prove who was driving. In either case, implementing a new legal philosophy seems a bit of a drastic response.
 gethin_allen 03 Feb 2016
In reply to wintertree:

If someone was stabbed by a member of a gang other members of the gang who were involved but not the one using the knife can be prosecuted under join enterprise laws.
 Trangia 03 Feb 2016
In reply to gethin_allen:

> This is just bloody criminal

> There should be some law to say that in the case where a owner withholds information about the driver of a vehicle they are responsible for they are liable to the full extent for any crimes committed with the vehicle.

Isn't that wilfully obstructing the police from conducting their enquiries? Can't they be prosecuted for doing that?

Joint Enterprise isn't without criticism, indeed I would say it doesn't really pass any test of natural justice.
 toad 03 Feb 2016
In reply to dread-i:

> How do you think he'd get on with a private prosecution?

> The burden of proof is lower and there are no shortage of ambulance chasers offering no win no fee.

Think you mean a civil claim?
MarkJH 03 Feb 2016

> If someone was stabbed by a member of a gang other members of the gang who were involved but not the one using the knife can be prosecuted under join enterprise laws.

Only under very particular circumstances..... There is pretty much no chance that joint enterprise would apply in this case.
 balmybaldwin 03 Feb 2016
In reply to MG:

Yes they are (or would be if the second possible driver was charged). Police identified 2 drivers that were responsible for the vehicle having rented it jointly neither provided the name of the driver.
 MG 03 Feb 2016
Go on then, how does constitute PCJ

Perverting the course of justice can be any of three acts:

Fabricating or disposing of evidence
Intimidating or threatening a witness or juror
Intimidating or threatening a judge

(From Wiki)
Post edited at 18:48
MarkJH 03 Feb 2016

> Police identified 2 drivers that were responsible for the vehicle having rented it jointly neither provided the name of the driver.

Is that true? Joint rental seems like a very unusual arrangement. For a rental car, it is more normal to have a single person who makes the contract, who can then add named drivers. Responsibility for the vehicle would normally rest with the contract holder (equivalent to the registered keeper).
In reply to CurlyStevo:

The lesson from this is: if you have bike-mounted cameras, make sure they're fitted with polarising filters so that you have a better chance of being able to film through the windscreen.

That's why I wear polarising sunglasses when riding a bike; so I can see the whites of their eyes...
 FactorXXX 03 Feb 2016
In reply to MarkJH:

Is that true? Joint rental seems like a very unusual arrangement. For a rental car, it is more normal to have a single person who makes the contract, who can then add named drivers. Responsibility for the vehicle would normally rest with the contract holder (equivalent to the registered keeper).

If that is the case, that would explain why one person was convicted of not supplying details and the other wasn't.
Still doesn't make identifying the driver at the time of the accident any easier though, which is basically all the CPS are concerned with.
 FactorXXX 03 Feb 2016

The problem appears to be that the crime of deliberately knocking the cyclist off their bike, wasn't considered serious enough to pursue with any real effort.

The Police said that they conducted a thorough investigation, just the CPS felt there wasn't enough for a conviction.

wintertree 03 Feb 2016
In reply to CurlyStevo:

> I agree but it seems ridiculous that their defence can be refusal to say who was driving. If their defence both was along the line of it was the other person at least they are both incriminated and can be further investigated. I see this as a significantly different scenario even if it seems an only minor change.

If they both know and refuse then I agree with you. However that depends on why they refuse to name the driver - if one off them genuinely does not know who was driving, and says so, does that count as a refusal? It is not clear to me from the article exactly what happened.

The only positive suggestion I can make is that at any given time precisely one clearly defined person is legally responsible for knowing who is driving a car, and that they shoulder the consequences of any acts where they cannot identify the driver. That eliminates a two-person-one-liar scenario. That person can change readily but should be clearly defined.

Edit: obviously if a car is reports as stolen etc that person is off the legal hook.

Other than company cars and speeding fines this seems to be a very rare problem, I suspect human drivers will go away before legislation arises to address it...
Post edited at 20:03
 Brass Nipples 03 Feb 2016
In reply to FactorXXX:

> If two people were in a car and its reasonable to assume they both knew who was driving and the driver committed a crime there is no innocent party in the car if they refuse to say who was driving.

> Why do you assume they were both in the car at the time of the accident?

Probably because in the fill video you can see two people in the car.
 john arran 03 Feb 2016
In reply to Orgsm:

But you're assuming the two people in the car were the two registered drivers. People are calling for a lynching of at least one person that might not even have been in the car at the time, at a stretch of credibility potentially neither of them was in the car and neither had any idea who actually was driving. Unlikely I admit, but you can't try someone unless you can be sure at least that they were even at the scene.
In reply to john arran:

Not assuming anything Jon, I was explaining why Curly Stevo might have thought both in car.
 john arran 03 Feb 2016
In reply to Orgsm:

Fairy nuff. He'd have been wrong though!
 elsewhere 03 Feb 2016
In reply to CurlyStevo:
Since you can't identify the driver but you can identify the car then 'punish' the vehicle.

Seize the car and it only gets returned for double the normal fine as nobody is getting points on their licence or getting sent to prison. Far from ideal but better.

Other countries must have some different ideas for how to deal with the situation, maybe registered owner is fully liable.
 Pedro 03 Feb 2016

You say deliberately knocking the cyclist of their bike, I wouldn't be surprised if the driver was on the phone !
 FactorXXX 03 Feb 2016

Deliberately?
Dangerous driving, Hit and Run, etc. certainly, but not sure you could actually prove it was deliberate.
In reply to FactorXXX:

> The Police said that they conducted a thorough investigation, just the CPS felt there wasn't enough for a conviction.

It looks like the responding officer was pretty thorough and was trying to get a conviction, but I doubt it was resourced beyond that.
In reply to Pedro:

> You say deliberately knocking the cyclist of their bike, I wouldn't be surprised if the driver was on the phone !

Which would be quite easy to prove!
In reply to FactorXXX:

> The problem appears to be that the crime of deliberately knocking the cyclist off their bike, wasn't considered serious enough to pursue with any real effort.

> Deliberately?

> Dangerous driving, Hit and Run, etc. certainly, but not sure you could actually prove it was deliberate.

Really, it certainly wasn't done by mistake was it? They knew the cyclist was there, they sharply accelerated into the back of them, they made no attempt to overtake.
 FactorXXX 04 Feb 2016
In reply to Orgsm:

Really, it certainly wasn't done by mistake was it? They knew the cyclist was there, they sharply accelerated into the back of them, they made no attempt to overtake.

Alternatively, they didn't see the cyclist and hit him.
 sleavesley 04 Feb 2016
In reply to CurlyStevo:
Ironically this same car has a cyclist detection system that automatically brakes if it detects a collision with car/cyclist/pedestrian.
I know this as I had an XC60 for a while. It comes up with warning lights in front of the driver prior to this.
The only way to not have the above happen is to turn it off, which involves going into the main settings and doing so.
I had it cut in when cars had pulled out on roundabouts without looking (it cuts in quite early but does put the anchors on!) and you can set the distance that it warns you at well beyond the 2 second rule.

So either it was defective on this Volvo or they had delibrately turned off the drivers aid or the hire company had
Or it met one of the below criteria.
http://support.volvocars.com/en-CA/cars/pages/owners-manual.aspx?mc=y413&my...

It detected cyclists when I drove it (and as a cyclist myself I overtook with due care and consideration).
Not good for the cyclist though and agree more should have been done beyond the 6 points and £150 fine. (Maximum is 6 points and £1000 fine).

EDIT: Apparantly that was an optional extra when I've looked back - City safety is included as standard (collision with cars) but pedestrian collision warning and braking is an optional extra!!
In my view it was brilliant and made you drive pretty much inline with recommended distances as covered in IAM and RoSPA training.
Post edited at 10:28
 ByEek 04 Feb 2016

> You gather evidence! Can you prove one of them was elsewhere? Do mobile phone records put one of them in the car? When pressure is applied, does one snitch on the other?

Indeed. And in a murder investigation you have a whole team of detectives, administrators and researchers to do that sort of work. In this instance, there was probably a local community support officer and his three legged dog on the case.
 The New NickB 04 Feb 2016
In reply to ByEek:

> Indeed. And in a murder investigation you have a whole team of detectives, administrators and researchers to do that sort of work. In this instance, there was probably a local community support officer and his three legged dog on the case.

Yes, it looked like the responding officer did a reasonably thorough job, but it wasn't considered serious enough to use any more resources. A mistake in my opinion.
 Mike Highbury 04 Feb 2016

> Which would be quite easy to prove!

How?
In reply to Mike Highbury:

> How?

You match the time of the incident, with times of calls, text and to some extent different types of data use.
 Mike Highbury 04 Feb 2016

> You match the time of the incident, with times of calls, text and to some extent different types of data use.

But you don't know whether or not that person was driving, or do you?

> But you don't know whether or not that person was driving, or do you?

No I don't. That is why crimes are investigated!
 Chris the Tall 04 Feb 2016
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Utter disgrace. The CPS know that it is very difficult to secure convictions of motorists for offences against cyclists even when you have a clear case, once you have few hurdles to surmount it becomes virtually impossible. Therefore it is simply uneconomic to peruse the case. Nothing will change until we have a fundamental shift in our attitude to motoring.
 nutme 04 Feb 2016
In reply to elsewhere:

> Other countries must have some different ideas for how to deal with the situation, maybe registered owner is fully liable.

In Russia they start by slamming fingers in door.. Very good conviction rate.
 elsewhere 04 Feb 2016
In reply to nutme:
OK, look abroad but not Russia!
 Brass Nipples 04 Feb 2016

> But you don't know whether or not that person was driving, or do you?

Then you charge them with perverting the cause of justice, and you give them a bloody good grilling down the station.

yorkshireman 04 Feb 2016
In reply to sleavesley:

> Ironically this same car has a cyclist detection system that automatically brakes if it detects a collision with car/cyclist/pedestrian.

> The only way to not have the above happen is to turn it off, which involves going into the main settings and doing so.

I've got a V40 with the same feature but it can be turned off with a single push of a button on the console.
 FactorXXX 04 Feb 2016
In reply to Orgsm:

Then you charge them with perverting the cause of justice

Except it isn't 'Perverting the Course of Justice'.
 FactorXXX 04 Feb 2016
In reply to Chris the Tall:

The CPS know that it is very difficult to secure convictions of motorists for offences against cyclists even when you have a clear case, once you have few hurdles to surmount it becomes virtually impossible.

The CPS probably have the same problems when it comes to a lot of the cases put forward to it by the Police, etc. and not just cycling related ones. They look at each individual case and decide on the likelihood of a successful prosecution.
In this instance, they decided there wasn't enough evidence.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...