UKC

Get involved with a new NGO

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
harley.marshall8 04 Feb 2016
Hello all, Myself and a Local Pakistani Guide are currently in the process of setting up an NGO called CWEEP standing for Conservation, Women's Development, Education, Environment and Porter Welfare. The main aims of this NGO will be to develop a Training for Trainers program to implement in the Himalayas of Pakistan focusing firstly in Gilgit-Baltistan. This is the home of K2, Nanga Parbat, Broad Peak and many of the worlds highest mountains. To ensure all this is possible the local people work as porters and guides to trekking companies. I have contacted some local NGO's ( High Altitude Sustainability - Pakistan )who are undertaking fantastic work and I will be working in partnership with these organisations.
As I mentioned one of the main aims is to support local porters and guides to develop a group of trainers that can pass knowledge on to others and thus ensuring continuity and less dependence on foreign NGO's. Focusing on developing a world class trekking and mountaineering provision will allow more local people to deliver and manage expeditions and treks without the reliance on foreign workers.
Environment, the charity will aim to develop best practice training courses for trekking companies, guides and porters involved in trekking and expeditions. Also training and support for camp managers to help in managing a rising number of trekkers heading to the area.
Education across the board, children, adults and women can be achieved by funding and training local people to deliver education programs.
Women's Health and development will focus on small scale businesses that can subsidise and support local communities when the men are not working on treks and out of season. Along with this training health workers for women is essential.
Conservation, the charity will aim to assist in developing conservation areas, training in land management and working to develop protected areas within the area.
I am looking for anyone who feels they could help or assist in the development of this venture. I am also looking to put a team of trainers to travel to Pakistan and deliver a range of programs in Gilgit-Baltistan. This is a great opportunity to be involved in one of the premier trekking and mountaineering areas of the world.
If you feel you could be of assistance or would like to be involved please contact me.
Also if you know anyone who may help please share this with them. Thanks for taking the time to read this and I hope you can be of some assistance, however small or big is very welcome.
Kind regards Lee Harley-Marshall
harley.marshall8@googlemail.com
 georgeevans88 04 Feb 2016
In reply to harley.marshall8:

I might be able to help. I'm currently working for an NGO specializing in training for off-grid solar. We're based in Peru and operate all over the world. We provide training to a range of people. The focus is on training local technicians, aiming to give them the opportunity to act as solar technicians initially working for us and eventually supporting them in setting up their own businesses.

Are you looking at solar at all?

George
 AndyC 05 Feb 2016

It's being done already http://www.felixbaltistan.com/about-us.php

splat2million 05 Feb 2016

Sounds interesting and I'd like to know more. I have emailed you.
David
harley.marshall8 06 Feb 2016
In reply to georgeevans88:

Hi George
Thanks very much for your reply. I would be interested in solar could you send me a little more information and I'll look into it.
Thanks again Lee
In reply to AndyC:

Hi Andy
Thanks very much for your response, I have contacted The Felix Foundation so thanks for the link. I believe that by working in partnership with local and international NGOs and agencies is the only way forward. I have also formed partnerships with three other NGOs delivering similar and the response is very favorable with all parties wanting to deliver training and support to porters, guides and their communities.
Thanks again for taking the time to read the post and reply.
Kindest regards Lee
In reply to splat2million:

Hi David
Thanks for your reply I will email more ifo shortly.
Kindest regards Lee

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...