UKC

multi venue french ski trip

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 07 Feb 2016
Thinking of a multi venue french ski trip in france next January. Planning on spending 4 weeks skiing. Potentially a week at each of avoriaz, la plagne, la tania and val thorens. Flying from glasgow and staying in self catering accomodation. Not sure of the best way to proceed ie try to arrange a package or book accom, flights and transfers separately. Anyone have any experience of arranging this sort of thing? Thanks
Ps if anyone knows of any easy ice climbing in or near these areas ( up to grade III)
 Gael Force 07 Feb 2016
In reply to Removed UserGRUMPY MONKEY:

I would give Avoriaz a miss, it's too low, been awful this season until the very recent snow.
 Jay83 07 Feb 2016

I am in Mozine next week and doing some easy ice climbing. I will get hold of some info when there and let you know.
Removed User 08 Feb 2016
In reply to Jay83:

Thanks would be appreciated
aligibb 09 Feb 2016

If you are coming for that long I would drive down as you'll be able to get yourself where you want to be. transfers between resorts tend to be super expensive. Other option is to go back to the airport again and then get another one which is expensive and takes doubly as long! Train is a hassle (took me 10hrs to do La Plagne to Chatel a couple yrs back.)

I guess you will be renting somewhere s/c to stay so you'll be able to get supplies form the supermarket easily etc and not rely on super expensive convenience shops.

I'm biased because I live here but Avoriaz has been better than a lot of places so far this winter. With all the high winds there have still been lifts open and we don't need as much snow to get things open as the pistes are on top of meadows in parts. Ice climbing v much depends on temps and conditions. Theres some dry tooling in montriond below avoriaz as a back up.

If you have more specific questions feel free to send them over!
 kevin stephens 09 Feb 2016
In reply to Removed UserGRUMPY MONKEY: far better to spend the 4 weeks in one large ski area, say Tignes or 3 valleys, plenty to keep you going and chance of cheap accommodation, transfers are time consuming and expensive

Removed User 09 Feb 2016
In reply to aligibb:
Bit worried about driving in snowy conditions up the hairpin bends....but something to consider.
Removed User 09 Feb 2016
In reply to kevin stephens:

Thought id get bored staying in one resort. Looking for venues with loads of blue runs and some good reds.
 Postmanpat 09 Feb 2016

Drive: can take more kit and by the time you've paid for transfers etc will be cheaper and less hassle.
 Jay83 29 Feb 2016

There was not enough ice to climb on, so climbing was cancelled and thus info for you sadly. The ski-ing was OK though.
Removed User 29 Feb 2016
In reply to Jay83:

Thanks. Pity you didnt get good conditions. Maybe next time
 perrys 02 Mar 2016

Looks like I'm late to the thread, but it appears you're doing it next year so this may help. There is a 200m 4-pitch ice climbing route just outside La Daille - a short drive from either Tignes or Val D'Isere. I've never done it, but will be in Tignes all season and will be keen to if you need a partner. There are bolted belays on both sides of the ice fall.
 HammondR 03 Mar 2016

One of the disadvantages of 4 or so separate resorts is the cost of 4 separate 1 week passes. If you base yourself in a large resort or associated group of resorts, you may find significant savings on an annual pass. It is worth doing a little research. Perhaps 4 weeks will be on the cusp.

Also, if you base yourself in 1 large area there is a good chance of establishing a good network of chums to ski and climb with. Snowheads is very good for making contacts and obtaining information.
 Casa Alfredino 03 Mar 2016

Out of interest, why france? You could go to the Dolomites, spend a lot less money, have the largest linked ski area in the world and some fabulous ice climbing too... I know it's a bit of a random tangent but it's worth considering...
 CathS 03 Mar 2016

If you base yourself somewhere like Brides les Bains, Bourg St Maurice or Bozel with a car, you'd have access to 2-3 big ski areas and cheaper accommodation too.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...