UKC

Meidjo Telemark Binding

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 brian_m 07 Feb 2016
There was some interest in these in a previous post.

I've now skied on them for about 2 weeks, on piste, off piste and touring. Overall I've found them really good, although there are a few minor issues. I've only ever skied with cable bindings before so can't compare with NTN. I have them mounted on Fischer Watea 88 skis and have been using Scarpa Terminator X boots which work well with them.

The good points:
Great to ski with progressive flex and lots of control
Step in
Releasable (although this is not calibrated)
Great for touring
Brakes
Take ski crampons
Light weight
Tension adjustable so you can make the feel suit how you like to ski

The issues I've had
Mounting templates are missing two holes (not hard to mark where they should be)
The mounting instructions did not include the brakes (there is now a video on telemark-pyrenees which shows an easier sequence than what I did)
The brakes make them significantly harder to put on – you'd probably be as quick with a leash
There is a squeak when skinning as the sole of the boot rubs on the brake (currently trying different things to stop this - wax, teflon spray... any suggestions welcome)
In some conditions snow builds up between the ski and the binding plate
The ski crampons (dynafit) need to be wide enough to fit over the brakes

Overall really pleased with these and ready to get out again tomorrow now that the Scottish snow and weather are both playing the game.
 top cat 07 Feb 2016
In reply to brian_m:

Leashes fix a lot of things, like loosing your ski in powder [brakes bury the ski] or loosing your ski in hard conditions [once had to chase a mate's ski nearly a Km in the gathering gloom....], lessens snow build up on the binding [brakes are a major contributor, ] , lessens the load a bit, easier to step in, as you say, nothing to interfere with crampons......

But you all know that of course
 Snowdave 07 Feb 2016
In reply to brian_m:
I take it you got from said Tele-pyr shop?

I looked at NTN about 5-6yrs ago but as Rotte' were still having "failures" I went duckbill & 7tm power tour, with a modified STI heel & made my own leashes out of BD & 7tm ones (expensive exercise), I use Scarpa T2 eco boots (bright green & have a set of very nice Ski Trab Free ride? vintage wood look skis!!

I have seen pics of the new 22 Designs "Outlaw" which is a tougher version of the Rotte NTN, but does not make use of the TLT aspect of NTN boot.

Again there is the new version of the ATK Race "newmark 2016" which uses a TLT front & rear heel piece, BUT does not use the NTN "duckbutt". Instead it has a pair of additional sliding/locking jaw post over the front lip which has to reinforced with a screw mounted steel plate. Although this binding would use the TLT function very well I suspect that the telemark part would feel like a basic 3pin not cable binding, as not heel cables or "duck butt" clamped.

The M-equipment Meidjo 2.0 is a full NTN "duckbutt" binding, with full TLT, however I feel the rear heel piece is a bit of an afterthought at the moment, as you mount two heel pieces, one for heel riser in telemode & the other for lockdown in alpine mode. The ATK binding has a much simpler better heel piece.

However I am very glad that other manufactures are now making bindings which are tougher, and/or make better use of the TLT advantage of the NTN boots, that what Rotte have offered us!!!!

Give it a few more years & I recon they'll have it sorted & tele will be back as a serious piece of lightweight, touring kit as the boots have the front bellows which is an advantage over standard ski mountaineering kit, however Ski-mo boots also have the bellows too!!

PS get rid of the brakes, I didn't bother with them on the 7tms as a brake set up even on some ski-mtm bindings is not that perfect. Leashes make it easy to tether the ski to boot before you put boot into binding when on Cairngorm concrete as even with brakes on, the skis tend to "go"
Post edited at 20:45
 DaveHK 07 Feb 2016
In reply to brian_m:

Mates brother is sponsored by them and has been riding them in the French freeride series to good effect. He really rates them and not just because he gets them for nowt.

youtube.com/watch?v=fjdzIijq7Rg&
 ben b 08 Feb 2016
In reply to brian_m:

Thanks for posting your experiences.

I ended up on Freerides, but haven't tried them yet (midsummer). Really pleased people are innovating in tele gear again.

Cheers

B

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...