UKC

Climbing wall cost. Transition Extreme Aberdeen

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dangerous Dave 08 Feb 2016
My local climbing wall has recently had a price increase and I am wondering how it compares to other walls around the country.

£30 a year membership then £9 every time you go in or £11 if you are not a member.
£50 for a monthly pass when you can go as often as you want
£250 for a 6 month pass
http://www.transition-extreme.com/#!climbing-wall-prices/cd35

Is this standard pricing or is it quite high?

Thanks
 deacondeacon 08 Feb 2016
In reply to Dangerous Dave:
£30 a year membership is bullshit, and the other prices are high too.
In Sheffield membership at the walls is either free (awesome walls) or a one-off fixed fee of £2/3 (foundry/works).
Entry is then between £3-£8 depending on what days you go.
Bare in mind that these are all top class facilities where some of the worlds best climbers are training and they all have the best route setters, very frequent setting programmes and good coffee
Ben Moon even has an exclusive training facility with cheaper prices than the ones you're quoting.

Do you not have any ther alternatives?
In reply to deacondeacon:

As I thought!
There is one alternative but it is not worth going to in my opinion.

Transition has a fair way to go be top class. The guys who work there on the ground (or on the wall) do a good job but either there is not enough of them or they don't get the chance to set as often as they should as some of the routes are easily 6 to 8 months old I bet some older!

tspoon1981 08 Feb 2016
In reply to deacondeacon:

RGU but it isn't really worth a look TBH. If I remember correctly, off peak is £5 at transition.
 Otis 08 Feb 2016
The price at my 3 local walls (boardroom, awesome Liverpool, nw face) is around £8. All membership schemes I have come across are for lifetime membership and the most I've paid is £10. Variation between member/non member is £1 and £7 tickets are an option if you buy in bulk at the boardroom.

Based on the above, yes, your wall does feel pricey.
Post edited at 09:05
 Lamb 08 Feb 2016
Bouldering facility but still relevant I guess:

TCA Glasgow
£10 lifetime membership
£6 off peak / £8 peak for pay as you climb
£300 off peak / £390 peak or £40 direct debit for 12 month pass

Off peak is up to 5pm midweek and midday at weekends.

It's a 'world class' facility and I use the off peak pass and think it's good value for sure. The direct debit option seems pretty steep compared to what you would pay up front for peak if you could afford it, but that would be my only complaint. It seems around £8 a climb is generally what you seem to pay for pay per climb options at walls. More expensive compared to a traditional gym but guess insurance will be more expensive.

Obviously TE will have to pay for different insurance and what not but I've always thought it was pretty steep for what was on offer there. Although this is beyond the guys on the floor and wall manager who I know is a good guy and trying to improve things up there. From what I've heard hands are tied by head honchos who want the center to make money....
Post edited at 09:27
 tom russell 08 Feb 2016

Its an uphill battle in that place. Is Graham still the CEO?
 Aly 08 Feb 2016

That's extortionate! I guess they can charge what people will pay. I'm glad I don't live in Aberdeen any more!

Is the wall at the Beach Leisure Centre still open? Although it's bouldering only I always used to think it was better than RGU or Transition for training on even if it is a bit "old skool", although there is nothing particularly steep there.
Have you or any climbing friends got a cellar or shed you could build a board in?
In reply to Aly:

Hi Aly, unfortunately the beach leisure wall is now closed. I think it failed an HSE inspection, which is not surprising really. Shame as it was a good venue once you got into it.
In reply to tom russell:

I think he is
 Gawyllie 08 Feb 2016

I noticed the price hike last week. I'm very glad I got a 6 month membership at the end of last year now, cost me £225 all in as oppose to the £275 it would have cost me now.
 nutme 08 Feb 2016
In Castle climbing gym we pay £12.50 per visit or £67 for a month.
So your local wall is relatively cheap.
 StuMsg 08 Feb 2016
In reply to tom russell:

I don't think Graham is still CEO, I think he is fully committed to his guiding bushiness.
In reply to StuMsg:

I think you are getting confused between Duncan who was wall or centre manager but now does his guiding business full time and Graham who has been the CEO for a good few years. As far as I know Graham doesn't climb let alone guide.
 Jack B 08 Feb 2016
In reply to tom russell:

> Its an uphill battle in that place.

I don't know much about the wall in question, but isn't that the point of going climbing? :P

lummox 08 Feb 2016

£8 a pop at Harrogate and Leeds I think ..and mebe a tenner for life membership ?

It sounds like you are paying extra for the Bear Grylls " Extreme" tag ; )
 climbwhenready 08 Feb 2016

Without the yearly membership (wtf?) those are essentially London prices.

My wall in London for example is £10 entry (£9 BMC), £52 monthly, £210 6 months.

But you're not in London...
 Šljiva 08 Feb 2016
In reply to climbwhenready: Westway is 42 per month by direct debit but their January offer of 320 for 12 months was excellent value.
 sheppy 08 Feb 2016

Increased prices need to bring increased turnover of routes Dave, simple as that.
I still cannot fathom why the route turnover is so slow. Its also hard to fathom with relatively recent routes disappearing whilkst others maybe months older but remain!!
 eltankos 08 Feb 2016

The 6 month pass is pretty much what Glasgow Climbing Centre charge for 1 year!
 Ben Winter 08 Feb 2016

I saw the Castle mentioned, which is expensive. I took a trip there last year and was blown away by the extent and variety of climbing on offer, particularly the bouldering. There were walls squeezed into every available corner, and routes were a good standard.

My frustration with transition extreme is that, for the price and the size of venue, the bouldering wall is so small, and there is so much space that could be utilised for expansion.
The route setting has definitely improved, both in frequency and quality, but I would like to see the space used better. As said above, I would emphasise that I think the staff are doing the best they can.
 icnoble 08 Feb 2016

Kendal Climbing wall is £450 per annum unlimited use. As we live in Kendal £900 for the year is worth it as it is a top class facility. We intend to go twice a week.
 Lynsety 08 Feb 2016

Its well expensive I reckon! I can't go often these days with having two little ones and the price now totally puts me off.

The membership thing was always a rip off!

Sad really as it is a massive improvement on what was in Aberdeen.
 Steve Perry 08 Feb 2016
In reply to Dangerous Dave: Sounds very expensive, maybe with an offshore city they're charging offshore prices.

Smelly Fox 08 Feb 2016

That's a shame about the leasure centre wall. It was usually my weapon of choice when visiting.
 Andy Farnell 08 Feb 2016
In reply to Dangerous Dave: My local, the Hangar Liverpool is £320 for the year, no membership fee. Cracking value, cracking wall. They have a new set of problems every week. I've also go the new Manchester Depot 40mins down the M62 which is £5 yearly membership and £8 per visit. Not bad for the biggest bouldering wall in the UK.

Andy F

tom russell 08 Feb 2016
In reply to Jack B:

touché.
 tom russell 08 Feb 2016
In reply to Ben Winter:

I only hope the route setting is getting more of a priority than it was when i was there. Crazy for prices to go up in a city in the middle of a recession.
 bouldery bits 08 Feb 2016

Kendal wall is HUGE - routes changed regularly. Joining was £20 I think and a climb is £8 BUT a 10 climb punch card is £65 so that works out pretty well.

StuDoig 08 Feb 2016

Transition is extortionate for what you get; they sorely take advantage of there being no competition! Another price hike better be accompanied by a big improvement in the route turnover, and not to the detriment of the standards.
They desperately need to improve the bouldering as well - one tiny, packout out corner really isn't enough given what they charge.

Unfortunately, RGU is only good for the occasional visit really rather than as a regular wall and nothing else within practical distance for evening sessions so we're a captive market.

Stu

I would love to see a dedicated bouldering venue in Aberdeen. Something like what they have in Glasgow would be fantastic.
Unfortunately transition is not run by a climber or by a guy with passion for the sport, this is reflected in the quality of the venue.
 Phil79 09 Feb 2016
The two walls within a 25 min drive of my house (west Devon):

High Sports
Adult (non-member) - £10.50
Yearly membership - £8
Adult with membership £8.95/7.60

The Barn
Membership - free
Adult -£7 per visit
10 visits £50
Annual unlimited £250

There are a another 2/3 walls within an hrs drive of my house, similar prices.

I guess Aberdeen is a captive market and there is no competition, hence they can charge what they want. Probably doesn't help that its not run by a climber, that's key for any wall I think (or at least someone who gives a shit!).
Post edited at 11:40
 illepo 09 Feb 2016

if this is still the case come renewal of my membership then shan't be doing so.

I think i'd much rather group together with some pals and pop to ratho every couple of weeks for a much better venue and break even considering the drive.
Robert Stokes 09 Feb 2016

At the outset, a dose of full disclosure: I've worked for Transition Extreme, in various roles, for just shy of 4 years now. I'm not in any position to discuss or explain anything regarding prices, facilities, route setting, etc. I know, big help right?

What I would suggest is that everyone who has a grievance take the time to do two things. One, take the online survey Transition currently has going (web address below). Two, drop an email to info@transition-extreme.com and voice your concerns. If you're angry, be angry, but express your anger in a respectful and articulate manner as this will lend more credibility to your position. All survey data and email complaints pertaining to the new prices are being compiled and passed on to the bosses. The big bosses.

http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/2528017/Transition-Extreme-Customer-Feedback

Cheers.
 Fraser 09 Feb 2016

You'll probably know this already but Ratho is £8.10 per visit if you take out an Edinburgh Leisure card, costing £25/year. One of these gives you a 20% discount on visits I think. You get a loyalty discount too which entitles you to a free climb every 8 visits or so. For such a decent facility, it might worth the drive from Aberdeen every so often.
 Neil Morrison 10 Feb 2016
In reply to RobertFStokes: thanks Bob, didn't know this survey existed.

Mike00010 11 Feb 2016

I've been living overseas for 3 years and before I went overseas used to climb 5 times a week at transition. Have been once since I got back and was so disappointed with the lack of any significant improvements to the climbing or bouldering facility along with massive price increases that I've not been back. Will just have to wait for the outdoor season to start.
Robert Stokes 12 Feb 2016
In reply to Neil Morrison:

No problem. I'm happy to report that since I posted here the survey responses have more than doubled. The more info/data we have on this topic the better.

Bob
 Pete-West88 12 Feb 2016

I'm finding the new price scheme at Transition hard to justify.

Is there not chat of a new training area being put up? No idea where it would go though.

I think its fair to say that Transition has never been a 'climbers' climbing wall, its main target has always been groups and kids classes etc. But it became popular because it was so much better than the beach wall or RGU.
 icnoble 12 Feb 2016
In reply to Dangerous Dave: my wife and I have just joined Kendal climbing wall after a long absence. We paid a £60 direct debit set up fee each and £35 a month each for unlimited use. We intend to go twice a week which makes the cost per entry of £4.37. Also if you are away on holiday so are injured you can suspend the direct debit for a fee of £5. So this coming October when we are away climbing for a month the direct debit will only be £10. This for us is great value for money as the single user adult entry is £9.90.

ScraggyGoat 12 Feb 2016
In reply to Pete-West88:

I agree that the prices are steep and have put me off going, however:

We would have never had got a wall built in Aberdeen without the founding CEO. Many climbers had investigated building a modern wall in Aberdeen over the previous decade (and probably longer). They all failed to identify appropriate site and to raise the funding/finance.

So while its possible to moan about the prices and a non-climbing CEO we have got a facility that is at least two orders of magnitude better than what was present before, and wouldn't have got it without the founding CEO. It took a huge amount of effort to achieve.

The other thing to remember was that when Transition was set up, it was as a charity with the charitable aim of providing facilities for youth activity and engagement in the North East of Scotland. If this hadn't been the case the City Council would never have given the land and others helped with the funding....and we wouldn't have the wall.

Sadly the cynic in me also thinks that the unfortunate death of a teenage Skateboarder falling off the College Street multistorey carpark, just before the council meeting to decide on the project may have also 'swayed' our elected representatives decision.

Any surplus was to be reinvested in other 'Extreme sports facilities' meeting the charitable aims (there was talk of a facility at Peterhead if money allowed). So the pricing may not be just to cover the costs of climbing, and may also include a surcharge to enable future developements (and not just for climbing/climbers).

I have no knowledege of whether this is still the case or not, so I suggest somebody asks ....so that you all know where your money's gooing.

Me? I can't be bothered to ask and am just happy there is a half decent wall for those that want to use it.
 Neil Morrison 13 Feb 2016
In reply to ScraggyGoat: A lot of interesting stuff in there Scraggy and without NS the original Chief Exec we would indeed have nothing. I think some of the frustration is that when one asks or comments nothing really changes. The current CE and Board seem well removed from the users and numerous attempts to get what are pretty minor improvements have gone nowhere. Regarding the cross funding, if that does occur, I wouldn't really have an issue, but a well run wall would surely make more money for that purpose. It would also foster the next generation of climbers that are the future of the wall and ensure a continuing funding stream.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...