UKC

PRODUCT NEWS: Pembroke Rock - OUT NOW

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 08 Feb 2016
Pembroke Rock, 3 kbPembroke is a world-class climbing area, renowned for its atmospheric sea cliffs and dramatic rock architecture. With an exclusively trad ethic, steep wall climbing, crack, and groove systems abound, while delightful areas of slabs and easier grade climbs can easily be sought out. Regardless of the climbing, the stunning scenery and great beaches make for a hugely popular holiday destination.

Read more
 S11 08 Feb 2016
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

Looks really excellent, congrats to Emma, Paul and the rest of the team.
In reply to S11:

I concur, it is very good indeed - lots of routes too (1000+!!).

I'll try and get some more constructive thoughts together within a review shortly, watch this space.
 bigbobbyking 09 Feb 2016

Looks great. Will definitely get one my next Pembroke trip
 Puppythedog 10 Feb 2016

Well I'm definitely heading to both Pembroke and Cornwall this year. The guides are fantastic. Not sure how I feel about A5 as a size though?
Any recommendations for a first time Pembroker? Anything I should know?
 Tom F Harding 10 Feb 2016

Looks amazing and most importantly a not-for-profit from which all proceeds go to the BMC!
 Puppythedog 10 Feb 2016
In reply to Tom F Harding:

Is that Right Tom? Is that the case with all wired guides?
 Paul Robertson 11 Feb 2016

> Looks amazing and most importantly a not-for-profit from which all proceeds go to the BMC!
> > Is that Right Tom? Is that the case with all wired guides?

Actually Pembroke Rock is published by the Climbers' Club.
Wired is a cooperative of various guidebook producers as described here:
http://wired-guides.com/index.php#about
 Tom F Harding 11 Feb 2016
In reply to puppythedog:

Apologies I thought this one was BMC rather then a CC guide but yes that's the idea behind them. As Paul mentions they are produced as a cooperation between the British Mountaineering Council, The Climbers’ Club, the Fell & Rock Climbing Club of the English Lake District, the Scottish Mountaineering Club, and the Yorkshire Mountaineering Club.

From the wired website:
"For over a century the clubs have maintained this incredible record of first ascents. These have been chronicled and revised to give climbers the most up-to-date and accurate account of climbing in Britain. These organisations have undertaken the gargantuan task of publishing definitive guidebooks to put this knowledge into the hands of climbers. This work has depended on volunteers, climbers who are committed to contributing something invaluable to the rest of us, putting something back into the world they love.

Wired is a new concept that brings these clubs together. Under this banner, the voluntary guidebook producers share their collective knowledge, skill and enthusiasm to take the information they have spent so long creating and use it in new and creative ways."

The key bit being "climbers who are committed to contributing something invaluable to the rest of us, putting something back into the world they love". There really is no good excuse now for buying for-profit selective guides in the same areas where wired guides are available.

I look forward to seeing more released in the future.
 Puppythedog 11 Feb 2016
Thanks Tom, I'm a CC member and I'm really proud to be a part of a club that treasures the 'record' or climbs enough to put the effort in that they do. I was a little surprised that BMC would get all the profits from Wired.

I'm well impressed with the guide though, I need to get the lakes one.
 3leggeddog 10 Mar 2016

I have not studied the book yet. I am one who does not like the size, however as guides approach coffee table book size, it creates a market for smaller pocket sized books or forces development of phone apps. So things will move on.

What I have seen of the book is good. I am unsure about the inclusion of range west, and to a degree North Pembroke, in the majority of guides these pages will sit unused and could have been used to spread the load. There is enough good climbing in Pembroke excluding north and west to make a great selected guide.

Someone who is prepared to put the effort in to attending a briefing and checking in at the base will most likely buy the definitive guide.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...