UKC

Contour only maps

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Pommie574 08 Feb 2016
Does anyone have any contour only maps for navigation traininig?

I have tried the technical way using photoshop, but to no avail.

I tried Harveys but they wanted to charge over 60 pound!!

I have even tried stencilling, but it was no good.

So i was hoping someone might have some spare? or know where i can get some for cheap(er) than 60 pound!?

cheers

llechwedd 08 Feb 2016
In reply to Pommie574:

I've never taken part myself, but there was an event last year in N Wales- I think it was the Rab Mountain Marathon. I chatted with one of the competitors who had been issued with a map without names- just contours. I think it was a Harveys map.
Maybe the organisers are worth contacting?
 DaveHK 08 Feb 2016
In reply to Pommie574:
I think OS Terrain 50 does this too.
Post edited at 23:02
 pog100 08 Feb 2016
In reply to Pommie574:

try looking up the nearest orienteering club to the area you want. They will have people involved with mapping the local areas and the software they use can easily produce contour only maps.
 Toerag 09 Feb 2016
In reply to Pommie574:

Does it matter what of? I have access to the contour only map of Guernsey and am using it later this week for making a 3D model of the island with my scouts. If you go to http://maps.digimap.gg/ and do the geographical layer you'll get an idea, although the public version has roads on it.
 Totally-Normal 09 Feb 2016
In reply to Pommie574

If you know someone with a university login you should be able to download contour only maps from digimap and import it into some GIS software (qgis is free).
In reply to Totally-Normal:

Yeah, a GIS tool and SRTM data will do it.

I've done it using LandSerf in the past, but it requires a bit of manipulation...

Or the SMC have done a lot of the work for Garmins already:

http://www.smc.org.uk/downloads/contour-maps
Post edited at 18:20
Pommie574 09 Feb 2016
In reply to Pommie574:

Thanks to everyone for replying.

I have tried all avenues like my local orienteering club and RAB mountain marathon, so hopefully something will come back from that.

Unfortunately the suggestions like GIS, landserf etc are a bit beyond my technical experience!! however if someone would like to create something for me?!?

Toerag - That link was perfect i just need it in a different area!
Moley 10 Feb 2016
In reply to Pommie574:

The Rab certainly removed most of the names from the map, covering both sides of the A5 north of Capel Curig. You could look through the competitor list and see if you know anyone, they probably took the map home with them.
 Tall Clare 10 Feb 2016
In reply to Pommie574:

I've been wondering how to get hold of contour-only maps, though for an entirely different reason - will keep an eye on the thread. Ta!
 Seocan 10 Feb 2016
In reply to DaveHK:

I think thats right, the OS ( landform or something similar) do those digitally
 Nutkey 10 Feb 2016
In reply to Moley:
I've got loads of Rab maps, but they have a load of stuff other than contours (e.g. fences) so I wouldnt have though they would be what you are looking for. In fact just about the only thing missing is some of the names.

This might more useful though: https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/business-and-government/products/terrain-5...
Post edited at 23:05

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...