UKC

Music for the wee small hours

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 09 Feb 2016
I'm after stuff for keeping me mellow at work in the stupid o'clock part of my shift?
 Pyreneenemec 09 Feb 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

Well, as usual, I'm up and about to leave for work at silly o'clock !

Try the famous piece from Spartacus by Aram Khatchatourian: very soothing. It will almost put you asleep before finally blasting you awake again !
 sbc_10 09 Feb 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

Some Leroy Carr and his mate Scrapper...

youtube.com/watch?v=NH-10_Ek1RA&
 Glyno 09 Feb 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

Tom Waits?
In reply to The Lemming:

There's a guy on Mixcloud called nick francis who has some brilliant ambient and downtempo mixes with a bit of classical, jazz and spoken word thrown in. Good stuff for a mellow eve.
 Mark Morris 09 Feb 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

You have nailed it in you're thread name. Frank Sinatra "in the wee small hours". Also second a bit of Tom Waits. How about a bit of Fairground Attraction's first album, forget the name, but worked late into the night to it in the day.
 aln 09 Feb 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

Did you listen to the Late Night Tales album I recommended to you a while ago? It's the kinda thing you're looking for.
OP The Lemming 09 Feb 2016
In reply to aln:

Sure did and its a cracking album with pride of place on my limited 32gb phone storage.
 Ramblin dave 09 Feb 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

We often seem to get out John Martyn's Solid Air as late night listening. Jazzy, folksy, bluesy, just the right side of smooth. This sort of thing:
youtube.com/watch?v=eQs6MvsPCXA&
youtube.com/watch?v=UikPQOaJpfU&

The other small hours standby is the Ethiopeques series. Lots of smoky, moody East African jazz:
youtube.com/watch?v=UikPQOaJpfU&

aln 09 Feb 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

Nice one. I just bought another in the Late Night Tales series compiled by John Hopkins. Haven't listened to it yet, I'll get back to you on that one.
Removed User 09 Feb 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

Tiny Ruins.
OP The Lemming 10 Feb 2016
In reply to aln:

> Nice one. I just bought another in the Late Night Tales series compiled by John Hopkins. Haven't listened to it yet, I'll get back to you on that one.

Just got home and did a bit more searching. I never realised that there were so many Late Night Tales compilations.

I am now on the hunt for as many as I can get my little paws on. I don't even mind parting with some hard earned cash for these.

OP The Lemming 10 Feb 2016
In reply to aln:
> Did you listen to the Late Night Tales album I recommended to you a while ago?

I've got eleven of the series so far and I have to say that I am exceptionally impressed with the Franz Ferdinand album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OLKh39s8jk&list=PLkkZwWddtE6JfGU6rFuELbL1f...

Anybody know what the French lady is singing about?

Anybody know why some of my links don't work?
Post edited at 16:16
 t__her6 10 Feb 2016
In reply to The Lemming:
I would recommend 'Hammock'(Hammockmusic on soundcloud) and 'Slow Meadow', both on soundcloud and youtube.
Post edited at 16:14
In reply to The Lemming:

Blue Valentine by Tom Waits.

T.
 aln 14 Feb 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

Eleven? You're keen. Have you heard Opalescent by John Hopkins, I think it's the kinda thing you're looking for. A mix of electronic and acoustic instrumentation, a bit bland for my listening taste but very relaxing.
OP The Lemming 14 Feb 2016
In reply to aln:

> Eleven? You're keen.

They have quite the impressive back catalogue and they are forcing me to part with hard earned cash.
http://latenighttales.co.uk/section.php/9/1/downloads

aln 15 Feb 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

The series seems to be consistent with quality. Try Opalescent, you'll love it.
OP The Lemming 15 Feb 2016
In reply to aln:

In the process right now.

Night

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...