UKC

Winter Gloves Recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mathesar 10 Feb 2016
Hello Peeps,

have a trip planned for some scottish winter climbing coming up and need to purchase a better pair of gloves.
Last trip I used a pair of Mountain Equipment Guide Gloves, which were OK. Main drawback was once they were ever so damp/wet they become very baggy at the fingertips.
Therefore tying in with the rope or anything else was very difficult.
So looking for recommendations for a glove that will be hold it's shape better once it wet.
I do carry a pair of Dachstein Woollen Mittens but find the constant off on nature and subsequent freezing fingers less appealing!
Budget wise probably on the cost conscious scale
Over to you?

Cheers

Mathesar
 MB42 10 Feb 2016
In reply to mathesar:

I use aldi ski gloves, £8 and they're brill. No problems wetting out and unlike some work gloves they have a gauntlet (and nice fluffy inside). They're dexterous enough for everything except retrieving cams from inside cracks. My pair are just into their second season and starting to get holes but at the price can't complain.

Lots of people swear by various work gloves, do a forum search for endless recommendations.
 iksander 10 Feb 2016
In reply to mathesar:

Now is not the time to buy anything winter related if you want a bargain. Either stump up full price now, or buying some in the spring sales. If Mountain Equipment gloves fit you well, try their Mountain Stretch gloves - they are much less baggy than Guides and can be had for about the same price in the sales.
 AlH 10 Feb 2016
In reply to mathesar:

http://shop.snowshepherd.co.uk/Snowshepherd-Black-Sheep-Leather-Ski-Work-Gl... Worn for 27 days so far this winter- no evidence of wear or tear and only slightly damp fingers twice (impressive given the weather we've had). All leather with reinforced palms and a waterproof liner. Durable, water resistant and cheap for a decent glove. A little short at the wrist and long in the finger but superb value.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...