UKC

Family Ski Holiday - Ill Wife - Etiquette?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
TempNewName 10 Feb 2016
Hi,
Not using my normal login

Ski holiday booked for half term for us and the weans.
My wife has a cold and is unlikely to be better by the weekend.
Can you advise me on the way forward, do we;
Cancel, lose the accommodation deposit, train ticket, non taxes part of the flights and I stay at home to look after her next week.
Cancel, but go to work instead
Leave her at home alone if she's not well enough?

None of these options is good. What does the collective say?
 climbingpixie 10 Feb 2016
In reply to TempNewName:
Leave her and the kids at home and go and have an amazing time skiing on your own...?

I'm amazed that you could be seriously cancelling a week's skiing for a cold! Yeah, she might feel crap at the weekend and even early next week but it's unlikely to last all week and losing all that money and the opportunity to have a week on the slopes just seems mental.
Post edited at 21:38
 dsiska 10 Feb 2016
In reply to TempNewName:

Option 1: You all go and hope she gets better during the week? That way you and the kids get some skiing in and she can stay in bed in the hotel / apartment just as well as in your home? I know travelling with a cold or kids is a nightmare but surely it's not asking so much?

Option 2: You go with the kids and do some skiing (if the kids are vaguely old enough to be self-supporting).

Have fun and hope she gets better...
 marsbar 10 Feb 2016
In reply to TempNewName:

Most ski resorts have a spa. Take her and sit her in the sauna or steam room to relax and recuperate while you play in the snow with the kids. By the end of the week she should be feeling better.
In reply to TempNewName:

Buy a huge supply of all manner of industrial strength cold remedies. Take her on holiday, dosed up. A long train journey with a streaming cold is miserable. Especially overnight on Eurostar S&M seating.
Go to the doc's and make sure it's not something that antibiotics might treat.

Assuming it's catered, she'll be fed and looked after. And with luck, she'll recover in time for some skiing. But since I'm now into day 6 of a miserable chest infection...
 Alan M 10 Feb 2016
In reply to TempNewName:
Just to put another slant on it:

I had what I thought was a bog standard cold starting several days before going on holiday to the snow... During the holiday the bug seemed to go or so I thought and I spent a week in the mountains.

Since returning home I have now had 3 urine tests, a blood test this week, have to go for scans on my kidneys next week, finished my first 7 days of antibiotics and have today started on a new course of more aggressive antibiotics for the next 30 days.

Having said that would I still have gone knowing all of this might happen? Yes. It was just bad luck that the illness got worse

I'm with the others on this one, take her but allow her to rest in the hotel etc.
Post edited at 22:52
 Mike-W-99 10 Feb 2016
In reply to TempNewName:
I know there is a nasty cold doing the rounds but it seems to clear pretty quickly. Slightly flu like symptoms?

I'd definitely not cancel, once you get up to the resort with hopefully cobalt blue skies and nice snow the cold symptoms may subside quite rapidly! Failing that, Gluwein and drugs may assist!
Post edited at 23:28
 Brass Nipples 10 Feb 2016
In reply to TempNewName:

It's a cold, why the hell wouldn't you still go?

Skyfall 10 Feb 2016
In reply to TempNewName:

This is a wind up,right?
Andy Gamisou 11 Feb 2016
In reply to TempNewName:

You could always ask your wife what she wants to do.
 summo 11 Feb 2016
In reply to Willi Crater:

> You could always ask your wife what she wants to do.

Exactly, it is hardly terminal. Tell her you and kids are going, she can decide for herself.
 Dark-Cloud 11 Feb 2016
In reply to TempNewName:

A cold ? Really, just go and enjoy it, colds done last that long.
 stubbed 11 Feb 2016
In reply to TempNewName:

You would really consider staying off work to look after your wife while she has a cold? Really?
 nniff 11 Feb 2016
In reply to TempNewName:

Gluhwein is a first rate cold cure

My patent hot toddy is this - equal measures of scotch, brandy and Drambuie. topped up with hot water, a few cloves, a squeeze of lemon and a spoonful or two of honey. She won't feel a thing
Gone for good 11 Feb 2016
In reply to TempNewName:

Tell her your going down the pub and might be late. Ditch her and the kids and have a week on the slopes during the day and on the lash during the night. If she loves you she will forgive you .. eventually!
 balmybaldwin 11 Feb 2016
In reply to TempNewName:

A cold? tell her to Woman-up - It's not like she's got Man FLu
 Chris the Tall 11 Feb 2016
In reply to TempNewName:

Of course you should go, she'll be on the mend by then and the fresh mountain air will do her good.
But of course she'll have passed it on to you, you'll then come down with the far more serious affliction of man-flu and this will ruin the first half of the week.

(precisely what happened to me last week)
 climbwhenready 11 Feb 2016
In reply to TempNewName:

I find - people are obviously different - that although your all-day stamina can be hit by having a cold, and although you might not feel like getting out of bed, doing something active makes you feel a lot better for several hours!
Rigid Raider 11 Feb 2016
In reply to TempNewName:

I also can't believe anybody would consider cancelling a family holiday because of a cold. It will go away in a week. Just take lots of paracetamol with you. Supermarket own brands are a few pennies a packet.
 LastBoyScout 11 Feb 2016
In reply to TempNewName:

Go as planned. It's a cold and she'll get over it.

When I took my girlfriend for her first ski trip, she developed a cold just before we went, but it cleared up mid-way through the trip.

Only proviso is that altitude can make it feel much worse if it's a head cold - take plenty of powerful symptomatic relief with you, as foreign pharmacies aren't the easiest to deal with. If nothing else, she can have a good rest in bed in the accom/potter around the resort coffee shops while you and the kids go out to play.
 Toccata 11 Feb 2016
In reply to TempNewName:

Pretty miserable on a family holiday with one of you ill (assuming no-one else comes down with it). I'd cancel and rebook later in the season (if you can afford to). It only costs £100 to take a child out of school for a week (although most private schools have no issue). Might cost a few grand extra but worth it to have an enjoyable time.
 Tall Clare 11 Feb 2016
In reply to Toccata:

A few grand extra! Ay caramba!

My 2p is that I'd go as a family - colds tend to clear up within a week and fresh air can work wonders.
 GrahamD 11 Feb 2016
In reply to TempNewName:

Sounds like a bit of fresh mountain air is exactly what she needs.
 Trangia 11 Feb 2016
In reply to Toccata:
> Pretty miserable on a family holiday with one of you ill (assuming no-one else comes down with it). I'd cancel and rebook later in the season (if you can afford to). It only costs £100 to take a child out of school for a week (although most private schools have no issue). Might cost a few grand extra but worth it to have an enjoyable time.

You are not serious are you? If they rebook for later in the season what guarantee is there that another of their family won't have a cold then? Anyone can get a cold any time.

Colds are a fact of life, they are an inconvenience , but not worth going to the extent of putting your lives on hold and cancelling your holiday. Just go and the chances are she'll be fine by next week. Otherwise just dose her up with paracetamol and have early nights.

I've been skiing more than once either with a cold or caught one whilst on holiday . You just carry on.

If she is worried about spreading germs to other people she can always wear a face mask like Chinese and Japanese tourists do when they have a cold, although I don't know how effective that is.
Post edited at 14:43
 eltankos 11 Feb 2016
In reply to TempNewName:

Are you married to mountain-spirit :P?
In reply to Willi Crater:
> You could always ask your wife what she wants to do.

There are some questions no sane person would ever ask their wife: 'How about you stay behind and everyone else goes skiing' is one of them.

You have to play it like the only two options are everybody going or nobody going. The 'she stays behind and everyone else goes' option only comes into play if she not only proposes it but insists on it and does so in such an unequivocal way there is no way she can ever complain about it in the future.
Post edited at 16:21
Andy Gamisou 11 Feb 2016
In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:

> There are some questions no sane person would ever ask their wife: 'How about you stay behind and everyone else goes skiing' is one of them.

Then don't ask that question.

Rigid Raider 11 Feb 2016
In reply to TempNewName:

She can alleviate the symptoms of the cold by gargling with Corsodyl and using that Vicks nasal spray that washes the bugs out of your nose.
 iksander 12 Feb 2016
In reply to TempNewName:

Stroh, Stroh, Stroh - morning, noon and night. She'll be fine
 Ann S 12 Feb 2016
In reply to TempNewName:

Tell her it's not a cold, it's TB and it is absolutely essential that she spends a week breathing in pure mountain air.

TempNewName 12 Feb 2016
In reply to stubbed:

> You would really consider staying off work to look after your wife while she has a cold? Really?

Not not really. I'm merely wondering if I should. I'm selfish and evil. I was just wondering what everyone else thought.

> Go as planned. It's a cold and she'll get over it.

This appears to be the current plan. Though I'm not sure she will. She still feels mince after 9 days.

> There are some questions no sane person would ever ask their wife: 'How about you stay behind and everyone else goes skiing' is one of them.

see, Tom in Edinburgh clearly knows about women

Anyway, hopefully leaving tomorrow evening. We'll see how it goes. After a shite trip to Puy 3 years ago when they all three got ill, I approach these trips with a certain trepidation. Here's hoping.

In response to the "stay in the hotel option". We don't have a hotel. It's a very cheap basic apartment 3 miles from the slopes. So if anyone of us has to spend much time there then it won't be fun.

Austrian cellars, huh.

Wish us luck

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...