UKC

Mello and Valtellina which guidebook?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
soames Whittingham 12 Feb 2016

Hi guys and girls I'm lucky enough to be heading out to Val Di Mello for 10 days in July and need some advice /help on guidebooks we already have the bouldering guide sorted.I understand that most of the guidebooks are in Italian or German ...so looking for one with decent topos as I don't speak either it needs to cover the big mountain classics and maybe some of the local crags.
Thanks soames
Post edited at 16:41
 Chris the Tall 12 Feb 2016
In reply to soames Whittingham:

Versante Sud appear to be the default publishers for the area, so you could try this

http://www.versantesud.it/en/shop/mello-valley/

When I went about 10 years the only guidebook available covered a huge area (including Switzerland), but only sports routes. Not sure if this one covers Sasso Remmeno and the other great routes in that valley (Val Massino)

A bit of googling will reveal a few tops online.
 HeMa 12 Feb 2016
In reply to Chris the Tall:

The Als Granite (German) or Solo Granito (Italian) books from Versante Sud cover both bolted sport and also alpine routes around there.

Plaisir Sud from von Känel also has the best routes from there (sub f6b or so)... atleast the old one had. I do know that the new edition e.g. Cassin on Badile is missing...

But to be honest, italian or german ain't that hard as far as topos go. Most of them might even have a tiny vocabulary in the start, so you can figure out the main things (what gear is needed and so on).
In reply to Chris the Tall:

Cheers
In reply to HeMa:

Cheers
 Maarten2 27 Feb 2016
In reply to HeMa:

"The Alles Granite (German) or Solo Granito (Italian) books from Versante Sud cover both bolted sport and also alpine routes around there."

I bought that one, and the photos / topos get you up the route fine. But getting off, say via complicated abseils, is almost all written down, so you need to work it out. If you stay in a hut, you're surely find folk who can help you translate.
 HeMa 27 Feb 2016
In reply to Maarten2:

Well...

I don't speak italian nor german... but I could still make do with translation of climbing terms (might have even been these, or perhaps another topo).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...