UKC

Ben Udlaidh update

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 14 Feb 2016
Dear all,

After an optimistic trip past the pigs to Ben Udlaidh yesterday, we backed off Quarztvein scoop. A covering of ice looked good from afar but amounted to about 3cm of aerated ice covered in spindrift which fragmented on impact and lacked any bond to the underlying rock.

Doctors dilemma, juniors jaunt and organ pipe wall were all unformed but with the beginnings of ice. Maybe next month...

Save your precious climbing time and head elsewhere unless you fancy a nice walk or some hidden holds dry tooling!

Alistair
 climbing 15 Feb 2016
In reply to Removed User:

Posts like this are always helpful
Can save a lot of time and effort

Thanks
Jim C 15 Feb 2016
In reply to climbing:

> Posts like this are always helpful
> Can save a lot of time and effort
> Thanks

IF he is telling the truth, and has not in fact found dream conditions, and is actually trying to keep it all to himself
 Hay 15 Feb 2016
I love the Udlaidh threads - there is always a frisson of excitement to be had, opening them to see if Quartzvein has been done.
There is a strange Hesperidian quality about the place. It even has its own guardian pigs.
 peebles boy 20 Feb 2016

Anyone got any newer info? Couple of ascents of West Gully but anything else looking like it might be fatter now after a week of colder weather and a wee thaw or two?
 Mark Bannan 20 Feb 2016
In reply to Hay:

Aye - remember to keep a ham sandwich spare to feed them!
 Captain Solo 20 Feb 2016
In reply to Mark Bannan:
Surely that would be a form of porcine cannibalism?
Remember mad cow disease!
 Mark Bannan 20 Feb 2016
In reply to Captain Solo:

Yeah - I've heard they're aggressive bastards! I think it would make me feel better to take the piss and deceive them into such an act of cannibalism!

hope you're having a good winter. I am myself!

M
 Jamie B 21 Feb 2016
In reply to Mark Bannan:

Not aggressive at all, just curious. Once you let them sniff you over they very quickly lose interest. I like them.
 Webster 21 Feb 2016
In reply to peebles boy:

not a conditions update but given the weeks forecast (freezing level rarely above 400m) I would be amazed if stuff isn't climbable, all be it covered in snow....
 Joe Barlow 23 Feb 2016

Any more news on how it is looking?
Cheers
Joe
 Brian Pollock 23 Feb 2016
In reply to Joe Barlow:

Walked in today. Some build up in patches but very thin in others, especially less steep sections of most routes. We didn't consider anything to be climbable without sticking your neck out. The pillars of Captain Hook were looking ok but the easier ground above looked like thin grey crud.
 CurlyStevo 23 Feb 2016
In reply to Brian Pollock:

Pictures from the sais meagaidh blog don't look like there is much ice there either (from what you can see)
 Joe Barlow 23 Feb 2016

Cheers very helpful.
 Webster 23 Feb 2016

farenheit 451 looks complete from the road, slightly higher so make of that what you will.

still atm forecast is for freezing level at 300-400m or lower for at least the next 6 days with very cold nights so plenty of time for the routes to fatten up!
In reply to Webster:

Complete but very thin and hollow according to a team on it today. As was Salamander gully. Do-able, but barely enough ice. If it's another sunny day I'd leave it
 Tricadam 24 Feb 2016
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

Don't tempt Webster. Thin and hollow are his stock in trade!
 Webster 24 Feb 2016
In reply to Tricadam:

fancy a trip this sunday Adam?
 Tricadam 24 Feb 2016
In reply to Webster:

Very much so. Unfortunately I'll be sunning myself on Costa Blanca rock for a week though. And on nights at the moment. So frustrating!
 Webster 24 Feb 2016
In reply to Tricadam:

so its you leaving the country that has heralded this cold snap, brilliant! its usually me who has to leave to give a good winter spell!
 Tricadam 25 Feb 2016
In reply to Webster:

It had better still be there when I get back. Don't be hacking all the ice off Orion!
 don macb 27 Feb 2016

Anyone been up today?

Martin W 27 Feb 2016
In reply to Jamie B:

> Not aggressive at all, just curious. Once you let them sniff you over they very quickly lose interest. I like them.

I like them, too. And judging by the reviews, so do quite a few other people:

https://www.facebook.com/Glenorchy-Farm-160464694145390/reviews

Hmm, sausages...
 Webster 29 Feb 2016

The upper tier saw tons of action yesterday on mostly great ice, nearly all the classics were climbed with multiple ascents of quartzvein, and south gully and at least 1 strong team on a steep and fat looking captain hook
 Joe Barlow 03 Mar 2016

Anyone know how its looking after the small thaw we had at the start of the week? Thinking of paying it a visit this weekend.
 fuzzysheep01 04 Mar 2016

As above. Anyone been up since the thaw? Worth a punt tomorrow?
 G0rd0n 05 Mar 2016
Hi All,

Did anyone go up today. Any update on conditions?

Post edited at 18:18
 Heike 05 Mar 2016
In reply to G0rd0n:

It was lovely, beautiful weather, good conditions and remarkably quiet
 Webster 05 Mar 2016
In reply to G0rd0n:

friend posted a picture from today, it looked allot thinner than last week but they climbed the croc so there must be enough ice for the steeper routes
 Heike 05 Mar 2016
In reply to Webster:
Plenty of ice to be had! Croc was good, Peter Pan not so much, Black Gully of South Wall, Quartzvein, Ice-Screw, Junior's Jaunt, Sunshine Gully, Quartzvein left hand (i.e. between Icescrew and Quartzvein. Green eyes a bit thin and scrappy I was told and Peter Pan also a lot thinner than Croc ( and hence not very popular with a team backing off)
Post edited at 22:02

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...