UKC

Aonach eagach conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ashpreston 14 Feb 2016
Anyone been on it today? Conditions? Thanks
 Jamie B 14 Feb 2016
In reply to ashpreston:

Wasn't on it, but could see it was fully white today. Can't see there having been much consolidation on it though, expect it to be scratchy and more time-consuming (but still very good!)
OP ashpreston 14 Feb 2016
In reply to Jamie B:

Thanks for info Jamie
 Mike Hewitt 14 Feb 2016
In reply to ashpreston:
I did the ridge today, there's plenty of snow and it's generally solid enough - most people were unroped and moving quite easily. However, there were a couple of down climbs and one traverse that felt sketchy due to soft snow. It was a brilliant day for it, hardly any wind and amazing views, I hope the weather holds for you!
Post edited at 22:10
OP ashpreston 14 Feb 2016
In reply to Mike Hewitt: brilliant Mike
Thanks

olddirtydoggy 15 Feb 2016
In reply to ashpreston:

Bummer, happy for those who did it. We had a go on the Saturday and the wind was unreal. We got beat back about 3 quarters up the ascent and turned round with 3 other groups. The snow wasn't exactly deep where we were.
 Mike Hewitt 15 Feb 2016
In reply to olddirtydoggy:

We wanted to go up on Saturday to, but come Friday night I was sleeping in the boot of my friend's car at the start of the walk in and I was woken at 5am by the car rocking in the wind. That killed my psyche pretty quick.

On Sunday there was a fresh breeze on the first summit, but we decided to give it a bash anyway. After that the wind died off to nothing, a lot less than forecast, we got lucky.
 PAJames 17 Feb 2016
In reply to ashpreston:

It was in good condition today after the thaw. http://pjmountains.blogspot.co.uk/2016/02/17-02-16-aonach-eagach-glen-coe-w...
 Hawky 17 Feb 2016
In reply to PAJames:

Nice pics. The red chimney looks good. Not done a winter ascent of it yet but this makes me want to now.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...