UKC

Any good face detection software?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 15 Feb 2016
I'm after some good, and preferably free, software that will detect faces in my photos. And then hopefully let me tag the faces I recognise.

Cheers muchly.
 AdrianC 15 Feb 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

Picassa?
OP The Lemming 15 Feb 2016
In reply to AdrianC:

> Picassa?

I had a bad experience years ago using Picassa. It corrupted all my tags.

I've shied away from it ever since.
 rallymania 19 Feb 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

what are you using to manage / edit your photos just now?

I ask because lightroom (for example) includes this feature built in.

seems to work reasonably well too, from my own experience
OP The Lemming 19 Feb 2016
In reply to rallymania:

At the moment I edit my photos with Lightroom 5. The next version has face detection but from what I've read, is a monthly subscription.

At the moment I use Windows Live Pictures 2012 but I was wondering if there were any other free products to use.
 JDal 19 Feb 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

You can buy LR6 outright. It's just a faff because Adobe hide it away. https://www.adobe.com/products/catalog/software._sl_id-contentfilter_sl_cat... lets you upgrade for £59.
 rallymania 20 Feb 2016
In reply to JDal:

well found, even then the bit to actually buy the upgrade is well hidden

to Lemming

I understand why so many people are reluctant to "rent" their software. I bought a new camera last year and the older software i was using didn't work with the new cameras RAW files.

I spend about £7 a month on lightroom and photoshop cc (got it when there was a reduced price deal on last year)

that's about half of what i spend on my mobile phone a month. I might be a bit more expensive this way, but it's also much less hassle.

Dauphin 20 Feb 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

Google photos. Spooky. Great for tagging people and then finding the same person any pics. Ordering pics based on its uncanny accurate algorithm. You with your Nexus should be aware of this. Missing loads of features as far as a Lightroom though.

Picassa currently dropped or being dropped.

D
 JDal 20 Feb 2016
In reply to rallymania:

I sold LR6 and Elements and rented the same deal as you. I wanted Photoshop for the 16 bit processing and better memory management. I got about £75 for LR+Elements, so 10 months free!
OP The Lemming 20 Feb 2016
In reply to Dauphin:

> Google photos. Spooky. Great for tagging people and then finding the same person any pics. Ordering pics based on its uncanny accurate algorithm. You with your Nexus should be aware of this.

Just had a look at Google Photos. Is this a cloud storage app where I have to upload photos to ba able to use the features?

I'm a bit of a luddite when it comes to cloud storage of my personal stuff.
 Dauphin 20 Feb 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

It can be. I suppose to be of any value ( ?) you need to use the cloud features. You can switch permissions individually and globally for photo viewing from the cloud. I use it only for my phone photography.

D

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...