UKC

Cheap folding bikes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 James Malloch 15 Feb 2016
Has anyone used the cheaper variations that are available?

I think I've found a flat in London that's 2 miles from work but doesn't really have anywhere to store my road bike securely. I'm thinking that a folding bike might be a good compromise for the days I don't want to walk or I'm running a little late.

Decathlon has some available around the £150 mark which look okay. Or I could get something from halfords on the cycle to work scheme and maybe pay a little more (plus get some accessories included too).

Any thoughts would be appreciated - or if anyone wants to sell one then let me know too?
 Dark-Cloud 15 Feb 2016
In reply to James Malloch:

Then Giant ones are meant to be pretty good and are around £500 so bike to work territory.
 Crofty 18 Feb 2016

I work in a bike shop (one of our stores sells Bromptons). I work as a mechanic and can say hand on heart that there is no such thing as a good cheap folding bike. The clamps that brace the hinge are usually poor design and flex and the handlebars often have loads of play in them too.
James mentions the Giant which is where the price reflects the better quality, you need to be spending from there upwards, you might find the cheaper ones ok for a while if you are really easy on them or buy a used Brompton that has been looked after.
 Greasy Prusiks 18 Feb 2016

You could buy a second hand pub bike. Wouldn't be the end of the world if it got nicked then.
 tjin 18 Feb 2016
In reply to Crofty:

Yup, cheap bike = weak flexy bits.

If it needs to be cheap and small. I know several people who use a small step bike... Much cheaper and smaller.

I just placed my old bike at work/station for the last bit when i had to commute that way. These days i can cylce from home to work directly.
 LastBoyScout 18 Feb 2016

Get a pair of rollerskates?
 Richard Horn 18 Feb 2016

I bought a Decathlon folding bike and it was poor to say the least. 90% of my energy was used changing the shape of the bike whilst I road, and only a small proportion in actually going forwards. I considered it too bad even for a 3 mile ride and sold it after using three of four times.
 Neil Williams 18 Feb 2016

If you want a folder, you want a Brompton, no question. If you can't afford a Brompton, you can't afford a folder.

But even given that, they aren't great for taller people (over about 6' or particularly long in the leg).
 trish1968 18 Feb 2016
I have a Dahon folding bike got it for just under £300. The second best to a Brompton. It's served me well.
I used to ride 6 miles to work and back up the hills in Glossop.
Post edited at 13:17
Removed User 18 Feb 2016
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

> Then Giant ones are meant to be pretty good and are around £500 so bike to work territory.

Got a Giant Half Way folding bike. Works well for me.
 gethin_allen 18 Feb 2016

Working in a bike shop I saw a dahon folding bike that had full size 26 inch wheels and folded pivoting sideways around the seat tube. Although obviously bigger than a Brompton style bike it seemed quite tidy.
 Dauphin 18 Feb 2016

Cannondale do a small urban bike, its not a folder but fits well in a flat. Havoc or Hooligan name?

D
 najki_2000 19 Feb 2016
In reply to Dave B:

I use scooter for commuting 2.7 miles one way. Pretty handy (it folds too, and I keep it under my office table throughout the day) - but only good if there are no massive or frequent hills - they kill you off
 Mal Grey 20 Feb 2016

I had a cheap folder, which I used for a couple of years to commute into London, about 8 miles a day. It rode quite well, but the components were made of cheese and hard to get replacements for as they were all a bit weird. Eventualy, the rear rim split open, jamming the wheel, and a new wheel wasnt economically available.

The fact is, logic says that a folder should actually cost more than a solid bike, so the rule of "buy cheap, buy twice" is even more true.

I did love the freedom a folder brought, and would have bought a Brompton replacement without hesitation if I'd not been about to change offices to Reading.
OP James Malloch 22 Feb 2016
In reply to Mal Grey:

Thanks for the replies - lots of food for thought. I'll have a proper look over the next few weeks and see what I can get/afford.

Lots of options to look into!
 nniff 22 Feb 2016

I ride an Airnimal to and from work. Distinctly not in the cheap folder category and it is really more of a bike that folds rather than a folding bike. It takes panniers and has 24 inch wheels. It doesn't fold up as small as a Brompton, but small enough to go on a train if necessary. I do between 28 and 40 miles a day on it depending upon where I have to go. The alternative train fare is £17, so it pad for itself in under 6 months (allowing some extra for dayglo clothing and the days I was somewhere else). It also happens to be faster than the train and leaves when I do.
 BigBrother 24 Feb 2016

I have a high end Dahon that I need to sell sometime. Steel frame, 21 speed SRAM Dual Drive gears, MKS pedals, better quality wheels etc than standard Dahons. Probably under 150 miles since new.

I was thinking of selling it later in the year when the weather starts getting better so I haven't finalised price and details yet but it would be a lot more than your Decathlon price but then it is a much better bike. I am in Devon and was planning on selling it locally but may be willing to post. If you think you could up your budget considerably then let me know and I will come up with a price and more details.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...