UKC

Dual Sim Phones

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 James Malloch 16 Feb 2016
Does anyone use them or know much about them?

I'm interested in them as I hate carrying two phones around with me due to work and I have met a few people who use dual sim for this reason.

They seem in short supply in the UK as those who I have met have bought them whilst abroad or ordered them from somewhere. Is this the best way to go about getting one?

Any thoughts/benefits/drawbacks/recommendations would be very welcomed.

Thanks
James
 Richard Wilson 16 Feb 2016
In reply to James Malloch:

I'm looking for one soon too.
 nr 16 Feb 2016

I'm using a Microsoft (ex Nokia) Lumia 532 dual SIM. Works well. For calls, you can either associate a SIM with each contact, or just choose which SIM to use by selecting from one of two diallers on the home screen. Same with texts. For data, you need to select which SIM will carry all the data burden. Cheap too - I think it was about £65 or so. You need to use micro-SIMs rather than standard SIMs, but you can buy a cutter for about £2.50 from eBay.

Being Windows, there's not the biggest selection of apps available - if you rely on an app it's probably worth checking first to see if there's a Windows version available.

I have this https://www.memory-map.co.uk/android-gps-tx4-os-gb-platinum-edition

I'm no where near a tech expert but a rugged phone, dual sim, GPS, maps at all scales does it for me.

When out on the hills I do always take a spare battery and a spare phone with an extra sim card.

3 rural mobile networks, no danger of walking off the edge of the map, ability to sit there and work out what the hill is 50 miles away (conditions dependent!). I'm happy.
 nathan79 16 Feb 2016

I've got one. Bwc Stealth V2. Haven't bothered with the second sim slot yet but it's there if I want it.

Check out the seemingly good but foolishly named oneplus two.

This link was being arsey but try it.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/mobile-phone/20-best-dual-sim-smartp...
 john arran 17 Feb 2016

I'm currently using a Samsung Galaxy Grand Duos (Android). At home I will have UK and France SIMs in it but when I'm away anywhere I'll often swap one of them for a local SIM instead.
It does everything I would expect of a modern large screen phone pretty well, and once you get used to the options for choosing which SIM to use for what it's very flexible. Calls/texts can default to a chosen SIM completely or per contact, or you can require a choice each time. Data must go through your chosen SIM.
It was about £100 or so in Asia a year ago but could be bought online in Europe too for maybe £150 or so at the time.
The dual SIM technology is now very mature so most phones with that facility should be as good as their single SIM equivalents.
 Dauphin 17 Feb 2016

Three are tons of cheap (actually fairly good for 100-200 bucks price) Chinese phones with this feature, everyone in India I met last year had a phone with this capabilty. U.K. wise I think both Wileyfox handsets support it and they both have great reviews, maybe there's the odd Samsung and Motorola that feature it.

D

timjones 17 Feb 2016

> Does anyone use them or know much about them?

> I'm interested in them as I hate carrying two phones around with me due to work and I have met a few people who use dual sim for this reason.

> They seem in short supply in the UK as those who I have met have bought them whilst abroad or ordered them from somewhere. Is this the best way to go about getting one?

> Any thoughts/benefits/drawbacks/recommendations would be very welcomed.

> Thanks

> James

Our local Aldi have a dual sim 5" Android smartphone in stock for £89 at present.

I've got one and it's a good phone but I haven't tried it with 2 sims yet.

owennewcastle 17 Feb 2016

I got one of these:

http://shop.fairphone.com/

Dual sim ready though not used the second one yet. You get to program which sim is used for which contacts, data etc. Its powered by android so as many apps as you want.

Nice phone and should last a while too....
 krikoman 17 Feb 2016
Xiaomi RedMi 2, not available in the shops in the UK.

But great phone massive battery life.
and all for about £100
Post edited at 15:36
 psaunders 17 Feb 2016

I have a OnePlus X which is dual sim (or 1 sim and 1 micro SD). I've just moved to Canada but want to keep my UK number alongside my new one, which is working well so far. You can set which sim should be used by default for calls/texts/data or (as I have done) switch data off on the UK sim, or you can have the phone ask which sim to use each time you start a call/text.

I like it a lot as a phone although I did end up quite limited in network choice out here because it seems like there's a European and a North American version of the phone and they don't have the same bands (so I ended up only being able to use Bell or Rogers). It cost me about £200 and they have the weird invite system... but basically you sign up on the website and you'll get one within a week or so.
 skog 17 Feb 2016

You've had this pretty well answered now anyway, I think, but I'll just re-mention the Wileyfox Swift.

I got one a couple of months ago after breaking my Google Nexus 4.

It's really quite good (much better than the phone it replaced), and very good value for money at £130; it's dual-sim with the normal Android handling of that, but I'm only using it with one SIM just now.
OP James Malloch 22 Feb 2016

Cheers for the replies - plenty of food for thought! I'll continue to look and see what comes up.

It'll probably be a while until I go for something as my work are in the process of getting "Good" for us to use. Until then I'll have to stick with my blackberry to get email access etc..

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...