UKC

Hoka Trail Shoe Experience for Back Recovery

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mountain Llama 17 Feb 2016

Hi Folks

Just started off road running again in the last month post a disc herniation from May 2015. This has been with the blessing of my chiropractor.

I run on mixed trails in parks and open farm land and I was wondering if trying one of the Hoka trail shoes would give me a bit more cushioning, eg speedgoat or challenger.

Currently using Adidas Kanadia and the grip is OK but looking for more cushioning to aid my back recovery and assist with issues long term.

Hope to get back to my 9 mile circuit 3 times per week.

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks in advance Davey
Post edited at 10:44
In reply to Mountain Llama:

They are certainly very good for cushioning. Just be aware it takes a few outings to get use to them, as the running style is a bit different.
 alicia 17 Feb 2016

I switched over to them for recovery from a stress fracture in my leg. They worked very well for that; it was 6 years ago now and I haven't stopped using them since! I think it took about a week to get used to the slightly different feel of running in them.
 RR 17 Feb 2016

N=1.

I had a knee problem (meniscus is cut partly off). Before the operation I thought Hoka Stenson ATR will mitigate the pain. The cushioning of Hoka is very strong. Due too the extreme cushioning there is some unbalance when you land on the ground and get off maybe. You have to compensate that somewhere. That is why I stopped using them. Got operation and tried them afterwards again. Very tiring (for me) and it didn’t feel okay (for me) so I don’t use them any more. Knee felt hurt.

Service of Hoka is very okay. Bought them at au Vieux Campeur, Paris. Went running few times in Fontainebleau, sole came off. They replace the shoes, after that no tech. problem. Now back to la Sportiva Raptor and Asicis Kayano. I would not run with shoes like some thin and light Innove mud claws par example with your back problem. Nothing wrong with Innove, before I loved them. I would avoid light weight shoes without hardly any suspension.

Wait and see how you recover. Take your time to get strong again gradually if you have patience. Anyways that was the trick for me. Happy trails.
 plyometrics 17 Feb 2016
Hokas are a great choice if you want to get back into running after injury. They certainly don't make you invincible, so proceed with caution, but they're as cushioned as they come.

Stinson ATR's are exceptional but, as someone suggested, they take a while to get used to running in, predominantly due to sole height.

The Challenger ATR, which is the trail version of their Clifton road shoe, could be a good compromise as it's a bit more conventional.

I've run in Hokas for years and I think they're great shoes, particularly for ultras, but they do have their limitations when it comes to terrain. The soles, even on the trail shoes, are rubbish and offer very little grip on wet grass and mud and on very uneven surfaces and trail, ankle turn can be a problem, which is why I also choose Inov-8s for fell and sketchy trail terrain.

On hard packed trail, short grass, solid paths, they're great, which means they sound like they could be worth a shot for you at least. Sportshoes.com see to do some pretty good offers on Hokas.

Good luck with your recovery.
Post edited at 16:44

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...