UKC

100 mile races in UK

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
iusedtoclimb 18 Feb 2016
having done lakeland 100 last year I am after recommendations for a 100 miler in the UK for 2017. Criteria are off road and hilly

there used to be one in cornwall around the coastal path but I can't see that any more

cheers
 tony 18 Feb 2016
In reply to iusedtoclimb:

It's not quite 100 miles, but the West Highland Way might be worth a look.
 The Potato 18 Feb 2016

Hardmoors 110
The apocalypse 100 (if they run it again next year they had a year off this time and only did the 50)
 Joez 18 Feb 2016
Check out www.beyondmarathon.com

They have a pretty good list and events longer than 100 too!
Post edited at 12:57
 tony 18 Feb 2016

and having just suggesed something that's not quite 100 miles, how about something that's a bit more than 100 miles - the Cateran Trail, at 110 miles.
 Tom Last 18 Feb 2016

In reply to iusedtoclimb

> there used to be one in cornwall around the coastal path but I can't see that any more

Arc of Attrition?

http://mudcrew.co.uk/event/arc-attrition/
Post edited at 13:08
 Al Evans 18 Feb 2016
In reply to Tom Last:

Try the LDWA , You'll have to google it.
 Wonrek 18 Feb 2016

Lakeland 100 (again!)
Hardmoors 110
The Arc of Nutrition
UTSW (no longer running)
Spine Challenger
Fellsman (only 100k but cannot recommend this enough!)
Viking Way (ok it's 147 but who's counting!)
Offas Dyke 100
Cotswold 100
North Downs 100
South Downs 100
Autumn 100 (incredibly flat!)
UTMB (ok so this ones not even in this country!)

Happy to give you more details offline

These are the ones I've done to date
 liz j 18 Feb 2016

I ran the Cotswold Century last Sept, stunning race, great people and certainly nowhere near flat!
iusedtoclimb 19 Feb 2016

Thanks all -

Don't fancy Cornwall in the winter - the Cotswold race looks good

I reckon I may do Lakeland again (if i can get in) and then Cotswold

Had fancied UTMB but there seem to be fewer and fewer races that give you points!!!

Really fancy the Dragons Back but the cost is prohibitive along with missing a week off work
XXXX 19 Feb 2016

SDW 100 gives you 6 UTMB points, it's hillier than you might think but you can knock it off in daylight hours.

iusedtoclimb 19 Feb 2016
In reply to XXXX:

Just realised that, un-beknowed to me, I already have 11 UTMB points and have entered a race later this year that will give me the remaining 4 I need!

Weirdly when I did the Lakeland 100 they were adament that they would not register for UTMB points - now when I check the website it is listed as earning 6 points

So new question is UTMB worth it - the cost, ramatazz, hype etc?
 liz j 19 Feb 2016

Cotswold Way will have 4 points (6 new) again this year.
I'm entered into the TDS this August, not quite ready for the full UTMB yet but I can't wait. Having been in Chamonix on many occasions when UTMB is running, the atmosphere is fantastic. Don't think the actual cost of the entry is at all bad value either, considering the backup you get. Could do with a medal at the end though.
 Al Evans 19 Feb 2016
In reply to liz j:

What does UTMB stand for and what is it?
 liz j 19 Feb 2016
In reply to Al Evans:

Ultra Trail du Mont Blanc, it's a 105 mile footrace around Mont Blanc, starting and finishing in Chamonix.
If you can handle the razzmatazz then it's amazing. Thousands lining the street at the start and finish, incredible support throughout from the sidelines, the odd helicopter buzzing about, amazing route, scenery etc etc. Just need to embrace it all and use it in a positive way. Not many races quite like it.

I'd have to say it 'felt' twice as hard as say the west highland way race, though I did it in exceptional heat that didn't suit me at all.

In reply to liz j:
I have a drawer of medals that never see the light of day. UTMB ' finisher' Mountain Heardwear Gilet however, got me through some of the hard miles!
 liz j 19 Feb 2016
In reply to graeme gatherer:

I'm hoping the lure of an icecream and a cold cider, along with the finisher's gilet will help me to the finish!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...