UKC

UKC why not put a link to SAIS on forum front page?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kevin stephens 19 Feb 2016
May be an idea to raise the profile and awareness of this valuable resource?
In reply to kevin stephens:

Its definitely a brilliant resource, but I don't think we need to have it here on the forums. If we did, next week someone else would be saying, "Hey, stick the BMC Turf monitor also on there. Its a valuable resource!".

I think 99% of people going out in the hills these days do know about the avalanche forecast and do check it. In fact some people sometimes take it at face value without any consideration for localised snow conditions!

I did an update to the Winter Conditions Page the other week there to include some mountain forecasts for different winter climbing areas. Obviously we cant list everything and when I go out I actually check a few different forecasts to the ones we have listed. The forecasts I have included though are kind of a "First Impressions" forecasts. Something very general that covers a big area (like the SAIS forecasts).

Check them out under the Mountain Forecasts tabs. All the icons take you to forecasts for the appropriate areas.

Hope this helps

http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/winter.html
In reply to Martin McKenna - Rockfax:

Thanks for replying Martin. I agree with most of you say except the 99%. My opinion (which may be wrong) is that a significant number of people venturing into Scottish mountains in winter under appreciate the potential danger of avalanches and the importance of the SAIS service; the website does include very useful basic avalanche awareness information. I don't think you can compare it with the "BMC Turf monitor " which is hardly a matter of life and death

I hear you. If someone googles "winter climbing weather" or "winter climbing conditions" top of the list is usually the UKC winter conditions page. So thats a good start.

On a side note. Judging by the reactions by some people regarding conditions, the BMC Turf monitor could be considered a life or death decision!!
 Sean Kelly 19 Feb 2016

Great idea!
 Offwidth 20 Feb 2016
I'd say that number will be despite almost any amount of information. Aspects I would never have considered from the forecast often had several parties at popular venues and most seemed to be in the gullies most at risk.

Linking SAIS (like they link RAD) on the major winter crags might be a good idea.
Post edited at 11:15
In reply to Offwidth:

That sounds like a better idea. Ive contacted SAIS in the past about integrating the avalanche rose chat on crags covered by that area. It was decided that folk might base their decision based solely on that chart and not the full forecast therefore that never happened.

Ill talk with Paul about this.
 Sean Kelly 20 Feb 2016

Arn't we just talking about a link to their website?
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Yes, basically. I was explaining what I had been thinking of previously.
 Mountain Llama 21 Feb 2016

Hi Martin

Why are the Fell Top Assessors reports for Helvellyn not included for the lakes weather tab?

http://www.lakedistrictweatherline.co.uk/home

This is full of up to date information on snow conditions etc and surely worth reading if you are climbing or walking in the area?

Davey
 Mike Nolan 21 Feb 2016
On a slightly related note, would it be possible to allow people to filter the UK Winter Conditions page by date? There's a lot of crags listed on the recent ascents, some of them show routes done 5 days ago, it would be useful if you had the option to view what had been done yesterday, or within the last 2 days etc. This makes sense given how changeable conditions are!

PS. Why does Buachaille Etive Mor show Monday 12th above Thursday 18th? The rest seem to be in date order.

Cheers!
Mike
Post edited at 14:30
In reply to Mike Nolan:

Thanks for pointing the bug out mike. I found what the problem is. Its not anything to do with the winter page actually but I'll get a fix in for that soon. Those logbook entrys wont appear on the winter page though now.

I'll get that filtering on the winter page sorted out this week.
 Mike Nolan 27 Feb 2016

Thanks Martin, that would be brilliant and really useful.
 mmmhumous 01 Mar 2016

Another vote for it being <99% that know about the SAIS forcast.
Judging by the flack Offwidth has been getting on various threads for suggesting people excise some care around Number 5 gully... even those who do know about it seem more swayed by "I saw some else going that way" than the forecast.

I use the SAIS Forecast and Blog, the UKC Winter Conditions page (and any logbook comments) and a suitable weather forcast. Would be great to have them them all in one place and useful for those who are too lazy, or don't know to look for them themselves

digby 01 Mar 2016
In reply to Mountain Llama:

> Why are the Fell Top Assessors reports for Helvellyn not included for the lakes weather tab?

I never knew that existed! You can't have enough links to important sites in my opinion.
 Scomuir 01 Mar 2016

Each forecast area has it's own Twitter feed, so you could embed the relevant one for each crag. There just has to be a means of predetermining which area a particular crag lands in. I do that on a site, along with a link directly to the current forecast, MWIS area forecast, and Met Office mountain top forecast.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...