UKC

Aonach Mor west face

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Roger R 20 Feb 2016
Golden Oldy (II)

Evening all,

Me and 3 friends are in Fort William for the mountain festival this weekend, and even tho the conditions are not great we were planning to have a go at Golden Oldy.

I just wondered if anyone had been that way lately or even been on that route in the past few days, and know what the conditions would be like? I appreciate that at the moment the Avalanche risk is high (especially after all the sad news of the past week) and we have taken that into account and don't have our hearts set on The route.

If it is bad conditions, any recommendations would be appreciated. Simalar grade preferably.

Thanks in advance, Roger

hairy51 20 Feb 2016
In reply to Roger R:

Hi Roger,

We did it on Wednesday this week, there were a fair few teams out. I've not done it before, but seemed to be in reasonable nick, even with a fair bit of fresh snow on it and we had a great climb.

Cheers

Jon

Mike-W-99 20 Feb 2016
In reply to Roger R:

The gondola wasn't running today and its forecast for similar winds tomorrow. A lot of folk seemed to be mountain biking instead.
Roger R 20 Feb 2016
In reply to hairy51:

Thanks for the reply Jon, we're thinking of giving it a go, but if the weather gets to bad we will turn round and head for the nearest pub.
Glad you had a good time tho.

Thanks again.

Roger
Roger R 20 Feb 2016
In reply to Mike-W-99:

Thanks Mike,

We were planing to walk up as we'd heard about the gondola.

Cheers for the reply tho!

Roger
 BenedictIEP 20 Feb 2016
In reply to Roger R:
We did it on Thursday. 4 teams total. Reasonable conditions if a lot of powder.
Post edited at 19:33
 Hawky 20 Feb 2016
In reply to Roger R:

It's a 3 hour approach without the gondolas.
It's a great route you will love it.
Roger R 20 Feb 2016
In reply to BenedictIEP:

Thanks very much Benedict

Roger
Roger R 20 Feb 2016
In reply to ryan p:

3 hours? Long slog then. Wish the gondola was running. May purchase some Huskys!

Thanks for the reply.

Roger
 KA 20 Feb 2016
In reply to Roger R:
Hi Roger,

We were on Western Rib, next door to Golden Oldie on Thursday. Conditions were quite reasonable, the snow was a bit soft lower down, but the turf was well frozen, and conditions improved quickly with height. The approach was safe then, and with the strong westerly winds, the approach will continue to be reasonably safe, although as ever, watch out for any cross-loading.

Few pics and info here: http://www.westcoast-mountainguides.co.uk/news/busy-week-climbing-on-aonach...

Hope that helps.
Post edited at 21:50
 thedatastream 20 Feb 2016
In reply to KA:

Nice to chat to you on the walk in on Thursday, glad you had a good day.
 KA 20 Feb 2016
In reply to thedatastream:
Thanks, likewise, good to chat to you too, it also helped to take the mind off the walk-in! Hope that you had a good day too.
Post edited at 22:14

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...