UKC

Totem Basic/Hybrid Offsets v Camalot X4/ X4 Offsets

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gavinpeach 21 Feb 2016
Hi All,

Wonder what people's thoughts are on the Totem Basic/Hybrid Offsets, Camalot X4/ X4 Offsets (or equivalents). If you were going for a new set of small cams which would you choose?

Cheers
In reply to gavinpeach:
I'd go for basics as for my reasons see review here: http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=6701

Offwidth 21 Feb 2016
In reply to Duncan Campbell:

As your review says you also really could do with a smaller size of another design alongside the set of totem basics.

I got a set of offset aliens for aid use as they were going cheap in a shop in Vegas (and people had raved about them): I agree they are amazing for extra security in peg scars and flares (common on granite) and are obviously good in that respect on trad. My main microcams are aliens and have lasted a long time despite extensive use (including seacliffs) and they have held a few falls (and I must be near 100kg with a full rack).
 beardy mike 21 Feb 2016
In reply to gavinpeach:

Totem Basics. Hands down. X4's I just don't get - the large ones are floppy as hell and the cam lobes have been made super skinny in an attempt to shave head width I presume, the lobes are hollow inside so my gut tells me they will shear in a vertically placed placement, the lobes are 7075-t6 which is hard as a 5'6 squaddie with an attitude problem so not very sticky, the cam angle is high so again, not that sticky, the bead thing is just over engineered, the termination is the longest gangliest thing in the market making them prone to shear failure in sub optimal placemnts... they've essentially taken one good idea, the offset axle and stuffed the execution of it... in my opinion of course. Basics are like and upgraded alien. The only thing I don't like about them is the spindly wire rope they've used on the trigger cables...
OP gavinpeach 21 Feb 2016
In reply to gavinpeach:

Thanks for the feedback. From what I've read online and on here the Basics seem the way to go.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...