UKC

Which Trail Centre?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

I have wednesday and Thursday off and fancy taking my newish mountain bike on some nice trails one of the days.

I'm in Buxton but want to make use of the full day off and head somewhere different. It's essentially and hour and three quarters to Llandegla, Cannock Chase and Sherwood Pines.

Fairly competent and confident at everything but big drop offs.... CV fitness is OK (but not brilliant). I'll be on my own, where do people recommend?
Post edited at 16:59
 Martin Wing 21 Feb 2016
In reply to idiotproof (Buxton MC):

Llandegla is the best in my opinion. Cannock is good but not quite in the same league and sections of the trail always seem to be closed.
Sherwood Pines is far too flat to be fun for me.
 woppo 21 Feb 2016

sherwood pines fast and flat and short - sub 1 hour, cannock same but longer. landegla much more fun as more technical routes and always enjoy the spin up from the carpark. landegla has various routes to build up from depending on ability. having said that i've never had a day (hour!) at sherwood pines i didn't enjoy. ridden all 3 solo many times.
 Martin Wing 21 Feb 2016

Also at Degla the sections of the Black you can link up with on the Red are all fine.
Only really Black if you're going really fast.
In reply to Martin Wing:

> Also at Degla the sections of the Black you can link up with on the Red are all fine.

> Only really Black if you're going really fast.

Agree, the hardest bit to actually ride on the black variations if you aren't going at speed is the final big climb on the red after they rejoin for the last time.

Penmachno would get my vote if you were willing to go further although at the moment it is a bit eroded, presumably by winter storms, and has a few fallen trees across the trail
In reply to harold walmsley:

I think those 3 are the max im willing to travel... save further away for when i can stop overnight.

Llandegla looks to be the best option so far
 peterjb 21 Feb 2016

I might be up for llandegla Thursday if you fancy it? Let me crank up the laptop and double check my diary!
In reply to peterjb:

Def interested but it will be monday eve/tuesday morning before i know whether i can do wed or thurs.
baron 21 Feb 2016

Llandegla is good and my nearest mtb centre but I really enjoyed Cannock on my two visits. The Follow the Dog and Monkey trails combined were far more fun than I thought they would or could be. It's been a few years since I've been to Cannock and I believe it has been improved since then. Llandegla is good but the final red uphill section isn't, in my opinion, as good as some of the previous incarnations. Whichever one you choose I'm sure you'll enjoy them.
 peterjb 21 Feb 2016

No prob same here, just post it and I will know by weds eve too.
MarkM 22 Feb 2016

If you've not been then it's definitely with checking out Gisburn ...
Cheers
Mark
 Chris the Tall 22 Feb 2016

Sherwood Pines isn't worth the drive from Sheffield, let alone Buxton. Still never beeen to Cannock, but did enjoy my one visit to Llandegla - although there was way too much fireroad for my liking. Was very impressed with Gisburn when I went last month - want to go back and do the black sections.

But if I was in Buxton then Jacob's Ladder would be my first thought
 ChrisJD 22 Feb 2016

Degla or Gisburn will both provide you with a lot of fun.

Penmach is exposed if the weather is harsh. And the riding style is also quite tough in places. I've also heard its in pretty bad shape at moment after the storms. And probably not the best to ride solo, as it it quite remote and not that frequented compared with other trail centres (I have ridden it solo mind, so I ignore my own advice!)
In reply to peterjb:

Its Wednesday I have free for Llandegla now not Thursday... PM me if that still works for you?

Ross
In reply to Chris the Tall:

I have a full day off work midweek... I fancy an exploration
 ChrisJD 23 Feb 2016

Any space going for your trip from Buxton over to Degla tmoz? If you want a bit of company, that is.

Forecast looks like a corker!
In reply to ChrisJD:

Sent you a PM
 peterjb 23 Feb 2016

Sadly it's Thursday for me, site meeting tomorrow. Hopefully some other time. It's very chilly here tonight so watch out for ice, but the trails should be fun!
 ChrisJD 25 Feb 2016

Cheers for yesterday. It all worked out well
In reply to ChrisJD:

Thanks for showing me the ropes I really enjoyed myself.... my shoulders and upperback were aching last night, I'd like to think it was all the effort on the pump track but I think it was just general bad technique.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...