UKC

Where to go this week?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 timmeehhhh 22 Feb 2016
So the plan was to go ice climbing in the Ecrins, although conditions in the alps seem to be rather bad at the moment... The conditions for Scotland seem better, which made me think it might be a good alternative... Since we are from the Netherlands, the Alps and Scotland seem pretty evenly matched, when it comes to distance/driving time (i.e. a full day)... Skill-wise, we are all familiar and comfortable with leading WI4 / HVS / AD+.

I would love to hear any suggestions about current winter climbing venues and conditions, in the Alps or Scotland.

Thanks in advance,
Thomas
 planetmarshall 22 Feb 2016
In reply to timmeehhhh:

> I would love to hear any suggestions about current winter climbing venues and conditions, in the Alps or Scotland.

Scotland is not what I'd call a typical choice for anyone wanting 'reliable' conditions. That said, given the forecast I'd maybe be looking at routes in North West Scotland - say Torridon and Applecross, as the forecast is for persistently cold conditions which could mean more reliable venues like Ben Nevis and the Cairngorms being buried in snow.

This is just a guess looking at the forecast, though. Conditions on the ground can change drastically day to day.
 Webster 22 Feb 2016
In reply to timmeehhhh:

forecast this week in Scotland is pretty good, there is a chance that some good lower level ice (Ben Udleidh) may be in condition, but much of the higher ice routes may well be buried. Turfy mixed in the southern highlands may well be pretty good but is probably something alien to you!
 Jim Fraser 22 Feb 2016
In reply to timmeehhhh:

This week and much of next will see sustained and dry cold preserving current conditions in many areas of Scotland. In some areas, there will be occasional incremental additions to snow cover this week.

A warming after that may be short-lived if we're lucky.
 CurlyStevo 22 Feb 2016
In reply to timmeehhhh:
Google maps says amsterdam -> Fort william is 14 hrs 45 mins (and may not include spare time to get the tunnel crossing). I think you should allow for it being up to 3 hours longer than that time for traffic, although if you can avoid rush hour in the bottom half of the UK it may be faster. Especially avoid travelling friday afternoon / evening. Sunday afternoon / evening can also be busy heading south.

Post edited at 14:30
OP timmeehhhh 23 Feb 2016
In reply to timmeehhhh:

Thanks for the replies all! Scotland will have to wait until some other time however, as does winter climbing. Not much animo for the long drive after al, and Alps conditions turned for the worse it seems...
In reply to timmeehhhh:

Get yourself to Norway Good conditions !!!
 veteye 25 Feb 2016
In reply to timmeehhhh:

Fly to Inverness.
Conditions will not be too warming in the next phase according to the weather forecast, but the welcome from the Scots as well as their Whiskey will be.
From Inverness you could go a short way south to the northern corries or north west to Torridon etc , or head south west to Aonach Mor or Ben Nevis.
Fly
Hire a car or hitch a lift on this forum with other climbers.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...