UKC

IOW Round the Island (Cycle)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tony the Blade 25 Feb 2016

Looking at the weather for the coming weekend, I might drag the treader out for a spin around the Isle of Wight this coming Sunday.

There are numerous options available, including the standard route that is way-marked, an off road route (not an option), and a plethora of routes on Endomondo/Strava.

Have you done it? If so what route did you take and would you recommend it?

I'll be going from Yarmouth ferry and going in a clockwise direction via Cowes etc.

Thanks, Tony
In reply to Tony the Blade:

Crikey, my first ever tumbleweed thread in a little over twelve years.
 balmybaldwin 25 Feb 2016

I've done it a couple of times, but always on MTBs so taken in bridleways too. (including breaking my arm near Freshwater and riding back to the ferry)

I would do it clockwise personally, making sure to stop for a nice lunch in the bay at Freshwater (assuming you are starting at the portsmouth ferry?) the climb up and then the descent down into freshwater on the Military Road is fantastic.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.6566102,-1.4679885,3a,75y,315.25h,90.48t/...
In reply to balmybaldwin:

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I think I'll go clockwise for a couple of reasons:
1) I've sort of cycled the IOW once before (although it took two days as I cycled from home and entered a fell race half way round), that time I went anti-clockwise;
2) The wind (looking like 25kt) is set to be a NE, so I want the easiest run possible, although I'm aware that this means a head wind on the home leg!

I'm looking forward to going down the hill at Blackgang Chine this time
 FrogHero 26 Feb 2016
I did the clockwise waymarked road route last summer starting and finishing from Niton in the south of the Island. It was a wonderful day out, varied scenery, good roads & not too much traffic. I've been visiting the island since childhood and found many new places.

It's 70 miles and took me a smidge under 4 hours. There are no real hills, the climb to Blackgang is as big as it gets. I carried a few snack bars, couple of emergency gels and had a cafe stop half way round.

Do it, it's a grand day out!
Post edited at 22:15
In reply to FrogHero:
I did it!

Starting at Yarmouth I went clockwise. No hills you say, I think we have differing views on what is a hill

The climb from Shanklin to Ventor nearly beat me, it was very sustained and quite steep in parts. I thought the climb at Blackgang felt much easier (Having done it both ways now).

I did it in five hours, so for my first outing this I year I was pleased with that. However, my tired old knees are playing up this morning.

Edit: The Military Road is a suitable name for the Southern stretch, it looks like a tank has rumbled along it every day over the winter.
Post edited at 10:38

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...