UKC

Tallest climbing wall in the world!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ben_Climber 27 Feb 2016
Having a look over the plans of my beloved Spurs new stadium only to see this little gem.

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/new-scheme/scheme-details/

Part of the new development is supposedly going to house the tallest indoor wall in the world.

Chris Harris 28 Feb 2016
In reply to Ben_Climber:

There's also going to be a swimming pool. Presumably somewhere for the players to practice diving........
 Tom Last 28 Feb 2016
In reply to Ben_Climber:
COYS!
Post edited at 16:21
 Chris_Mellor 28 Feb 2016
In reply to Ben_Climber:

Oh, we'll need to buy new wall ropes
 Lord_ash2000 28 Feb 2016
In reply to Ben_Climber:

I've seen a few people who've wanted to build the tallest wall in the country / Europe / world. They get all exisighted about how amazing it'll be until I tell them all the problems with having a 40m+ climbing wall.

Firstly, noone has long enough ropes, and putting in belay ledges and stuff if loads of hassle.

Then they realise it takes people ages to do one route so you can't have many climbers use it per hour.

Then they want it to be "extreme" but at the same time be inclusive and have routes for all abilities, until they realise only reasonably fit and capable climbers can get up a wall that tall.

Not to mention the expense for so few climbing lines, after a while they settle on somthing about 20m tall max like sensible people.
 MischaHY 28 Feb 2016
In reply to Ben_Climber:

My favourite thing about this is that one of the items listed under 'Extreme Sports' is actually a café.
 Shani 29 Feb 2016
In reply to Ben_Climber:

Will it ever match The Excalibur?

bit.ly/1QGEx6c
 Mike Highbury 29 Feb 2016
In reply to Ben_Climber: G-d knows I love Spurs but nothing on his earth is going to get me to go up there to visit a climbing wall.

Ban1 29 Feb 2016
In reply to MischaHY:

not just any café An “Altitude Café. 38metres of X treme espresso
 pec 29 Feb 2016
In reply to Mike Highbury:

> G-d knows I love Spurs . . . >

You have an unfortunate surname for a Spurs fan, should't you have supported the 'other' team?

Mike Highbury 29 Feb 2016
In reply to pec:

> You have an unfortunate surname for a Spurs fan, should't you have supported the 'other' team?

Not in this life and nor in any other!
 stp 02 Mar 2016
In reply to Shani:

It's got to beat that dam wall in Switzerland if it wants to be the biggest climbing wall in the world- 540 feet high.

http://whenonearth.net/climb-diga-di-luzzone-switzerland/
 Wsdconst 02 Mar 2016
In reply to stp:

> It's got to beat that dam wall in Switzerland if it wants to be the biggest climbing wall in the world- 540 feet high.

This is on the to-do list, have you climbed it ?
Andy Gamisou 03 Mar 2016
In reply to stp:

> It's got to beat that dam wall in Switzerland if it wants to be the biggest climbing wall in the world- 540 feet high.

"... indoor wall ....."
pasbury 03 Mar 2016
In reply to Lord_ash2000:

Yes - really they should be going for the widest climbing wall in the world.
 stp 03 Mar 2016
In reply to Willi Crater:

Good point. Anyone know what the highest indoor wall is then?

In reply to Wsdconst:
> This is on the to-do list, have you climbed it ?

No I haven't. Not sure if you need special permission maybe. Looks amazing though.
 Toerag 04 Mar 2016
In reply to stp:

> Good point. Anyone know what the highest indoor wall is then?

This is the highest one I know of - Heaven's Gate in Munich, it's in an old grain silo building. 26m+, 70m ropes are needed for some lines.
https://www.kletternmachtspass.de/diehalle/hallenbilder
 icnoble 05 Mar 2016
In reply to Ben_Climber:

The main wall at Kendal Climbing Wall is 25m high and is the tallest in England.
 Rob Exile Ward 05 Mar 2016
In reply to icnoble:

I visited both Kendal and Stockport Awesome Walls the other day, and both claimed to be the tallest! (A bit academic to me as I only have a 30m rope and am a bit pathetic anyway.)

But they can't both be right?
 icnoble 06 Mar 2016
In reply to Rob Exile Ward: the Stockport wall is 23.5metres high according their website, so not as high as Kendal

Tricky Dicky 07 Mar 2016
In reply to stp:

Imagine route setting on that!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...