UKC

4 months training

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
iusedtoclimb 29 Feb 2016
Last year I completed a 100 miler in July and then a 70 mile race in sept. Since then I have done very little running wise but 'foolishly' entered another 70 mile race for this July.

I have yet to start training, mainly due to a need for a kick up the backside and a general feeling of tiredness.

I plan to start this week, so my question is as I have done next to nothing apart form short runs since September can I realistically get fit enough in 20 weeks to do 70 miles and 9000 meters climbing? How should I structure my training? I'm still relatively new to this ultra running business.
 DaveHK 29 Feb 2016
In reply to iusedtoclimb:

I don't think that should be a problem. 4 months is loads, especially as you have already done those kind of distances. What's the race?
iusedtoclimb 29 Feb 2016
In reply to DaveHK:

It's this one

http://www.andorraultratrail.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=arti...

I'm hoping that I have maintained enough base fitness from last year that I can just top it up!!
 ablackett 29 Feb 2016
In reply to iusedtoclimb:

I would say you have got a chance, but it depends how much ascent was in your races last year and how good you are.

70 miles and 9000 meters is more than a Bob Graham Round, the normal bench mark of a good training programme for that is 3000m of ascent a week for a few months before hand, and lots of long days on the hill.

If you can get out most weekends for long days on similar terrain to the race, and in a couple of months time can do 7-8 hours with 2 or 3 thousand metres of ascent and feel fresh after it, then I would say you have got a chance.

If your 100 and 70 mile races were fairly flat, then it's a huge step up and I would say would need 6-8 months of effort to get round.
iusedtoclimb 29 Feb 2016
In reply to ablackett:

Cheers

Both races last year had 6000 meters ascent in.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...