UKC

Silvretta Tour beta

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rob84 01 Mar 2016
I'm off on the Silvretta Tour with my girlfriend at Easter - it will be her first hut-hut tour but she's done a fair bit of non-ski mountaineering in the past. We're aiming to bag a few peaks as we go but never having been to the Silvretta before and not owning any climbing guides to the area I don't really know what to expect from the mountaineering sections from ski caches - if anyone has any info it would be much appreciated.

I'm guessing any climbing sections will be very mellow F/PD snow plod/easy scramble ground as you would find on other similar tours and won't require any extra gear on top of glacier travel gear? Also, I assume the climbing terrain is mellow enough that we can get away without helmets?

We have 1 night at the Heidelberger Hut, 2 nights at the Jamtal Hut and 2 nights at the Weisbadner Hut so hopefully plenty of possibilities for bagging some peaks along the way. From a bit of google research I've come up with a shortlist of worthwhile summits - Breite Krone, Gemspitze, Hinter Jamspitze, Dreilanderspitze, Piz Buin and Silvrettahorn. Are there any particularly good picks out of those (or indeed better peaks I've not mentioned)?

Cheers in advance for any beta!

Rob
 KA 01 Mar 2016
In reply to Rob84:

Brilliant area! We were there a couple of years ago, with a mixture of skiing abilities in our group, and the area lent itself well to our group.

Write up for our trip here: http://www.applemountaineering.co.uk/2014/05/11/ski-touring-silvretta-alps-...

Have fun!
In reply to Rob84:

We climbed most of the peaks that were easy to get to from passes or huts when we did it. I can't remember the names without my map which I don't have with me, but we had no more than an axe each a few slings and 30m of 7.5mm rope. And we had a couple of non-climbers with us who managed well enough seconding. Grade no more than Scottish I/II scrambling on any of them (though we didn't do Piz Buin as it was too windy). It's a great tour and well described in the Bill O'Connor Cicerone guide. It's worth including the Silvretta Hut (great food) and Galtur made a good base.
 vscott 01 Mar 2016
In reply to Rob84:

Hi Rob,
Brilliant area - was there last year. Dreilanderspitze - short final scramble (bit exposed on very last section), Silvrettahorn - easy snow with a couple of straightforward rock steps.

On last day heading to valley from Weisbadner nice to head over ridge behind hut to descend next (small) valley to the east to reach Bielerhohe... the main track along the reservoir is flat and pretty tedious.

Oh - and beware the very well served beers in the Weisbadner

Enjoy - pm me if any other questions.
OP Rob84 02 Mar 2016
In reply to all:

Great stuff - many thanks for the info guys.
 Doug 02 Mar 2016
In reply to Rob84:

The photo at the top of http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=172 was taken on our way back from the Chlein Seehorn which was a fun, easy scramble easily accessible from the Saarbrücker Hütte via the Seelücke.

As said, its a great place for a relaxed tour

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...