UKC

Sneachda conditions after the thaw!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 pass and peak 02 Mar 2016
Disclaimer: Snowing as I left and continues as I write down in Aviemore, however it it blows off this is what you'll find underneath. (a copy and paste!)

Had a walk into Sneachda early this morning for a recce and see what had survived the thaw of the last to days. Woke up to a dusting of snow down in Aviemore with a little more at the ski centre, temp at 07:30 this morning was -3.5 and most of the old compacted snow underfoot was now neve. Light NW wind and sunny breaks was the reward for those who got to the corrie early and onto the climbs before the snow arrived just before mid day and saw the temp rise to -1 at the car park. The old snow pack has been completely saturated to a considerable depth and all the way through where shallow. Deeper build up such as the gullys are now solid neve especial near the tops, shallower areas are still soft no doubt from underneath, but are still firming up! All the major gullies are still full with Alladins so full its as easy as the goat track and very easy for a grade I. The Old cornices above the gullys left of Flutted Butress are for the most part still there, they've sagged a lot though and some are now overhanging, I'd want to give them another cold night to firm up before I thought about digging. Mess of Pottage and the lower part of Alladin's looks like they've lost a lot of covering, but its not so bad as on closer inspection there's a lot of new ice in the backs of the main cracks. Higher on Fluted and Fiacaill looked well rimed but didn't get a close look. A glance over the back to Carn Etchachan looks good. More snow falling as I walked out on a westerly so will change the tops and cornices but at least you know what's underneath!

Photo's you'll find here! https://www.facebook.com/Pass-and-Peak-197397280277028/
 Michael Gordon 02 Mar 2016
In reply to pass and peak:

Thanks for that. The thaw looked likely to help the conditions; the new snow (in short term) unfortunately will probably not!
 alastairbegley 03 Mar 2016
In reply to pass and peak:

conditions were great today. Climbed fingers ridge which had good neve, good gear and was just really enjoyable. The approach slopes were scoured and covered in good neve and the approach to the crag was relatively easy with just a small layer of soft snow on top of the old consolidated snow.

There were numerous other teams out climbing many routes of the crags. From below goat track gully and red gully looked good and the reports from teams who climbed them seemed positive.

blog post: http://mp-m.uk/xEL9A
 Ron Walker 04 Mar 2016
In reply to alastairbegley:

Yes pretty good snow conditions and great weather with even more buildup since the weekend! Much more crusty on less travelled gully lines, we were opposite you at the fingers, if your partner was in pink, and on the plateau.

A wee video showing the snow conditions at https://www.facebook.com/CairngormMountainGuides/videos/vb.124310161002873/...
OP pass and peak 04 Mar 2016
In reply to alastairbegley:

Yeh, I'll have been watching you along with the other's on it! I was soloing up Goat Track Gully near you!
Had a look at the larger gully's but they had to much new build up in them to solo confidently. Glad you enjoyed fingers its a great route!
 alastairbegley 04 Mar 2016
In reply to Ron Walker:

yes that was us.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...