UKC

Conditions in Rjukan?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 bradfry 03 Mar 2016
Hi All,

Does anyone know what the current conditions are like in Rjukan and the surrounding area?

I'm heading over in a couple of weeks.

Thanks, Brad.
OP bradfry 03 Mar 2016
In reply to Mr. Lee:

Thanks
 pebbles 03 Mar 2016
In reply to bradfry:
Hey Brad

just got back on sunday. conditions were really good while we were there. Lower gorge routes accessable as river is mostly frozen (need care at the start of one or two routes). Ice in general is fat but was quite brittle in some places as its been quite cold, specially in the lower gorge and also at the very end of the upper gorge. vemork bridge routes are in and in really good condition. Ozzimosis seemed on the wet side most of our stay. Some folks went to Mael but found the ice conditions difficult and had a bit of an epic climbing back out. rjukan centre routes in, but the sunny side of the valley routes are getting the sun now and probably not doable for much longer.
Oh, and if youre using Heavy Water, apply caution to the "one pitch" claims for some of the routes in the Lower Gorge. If they look on the "too long for a single pitch" side from below, they probably are!
Post edited at 12:52
 alexm198 03 Mar 2016
In reply to bradfry:

Just got back on Sunday.

Ice is fat, very stepped out in places. Bit melty towards the end of the week. All south facing things looking pretty f*cked by the time we left (Tjonnstadbergfossen, For Alle Menn, Sykkhehusfossen).

Photos and reports on my blog at www.punterism.com
 pebbles 03 Mar 2016
In reply to alexm198:

we did Tjonnstadbergfossen on saturday, it was ok then but well warm in the sun and stuff was starting to come off by the end of the day.
 Mountain Llama 03 Mar 2016
In reply to pebbles: Hi

is that too long for 50m ropes or 60m ropes?

cheers Davey
 alexm198 03 Mar 2016
In reply to pebbles:

Interesting!

We had planned to head up and do For Alle Menn but sacked it as the ice looked super aerated and weird from the valley - obviously we were mistaken!
 Hidden 03 Mar 2016
In reply to alexm198:

Awesome blog posts man, and good work on Juvsøyla!!

I met Ed halfway up a route on the last day of my trip there btw. He was doing pretty well for a guy with a limp.
 pebbles 03 Mar 2016
In reply to Mountain Llama:

Too long for 60m ropes. But on the route we did (trippel) there was tat round a part way tree you could use for a belay...or solo up to the first wide ledge (easy) and belay from there instead of the start shown in the guide.
 pebbles 03 Mar 2016
In reply to alexm198:

It was a bit Wierd, the surface was fragile and aerated but in general once you chopped away the surface layer you could find good screw placements. But we did spot an alarming amount of crud falling off as we descended so unless it gets colder again I don't think the routes on the south side will be climbable for long!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...