UKC

Permanently attaching jacket hood

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 sheelba 06 Mar 2016
I have a pile jacket which for some reason has a detachable velcro hood which can begin to detach at times when you really don't want it to any good suggestions for fixing it on permanently?

Thanks
Sam
ceri 06 Mar 2016
In reply to sheelba:

Erm, sew it on??
 Dan Arkle 06 Mar 2016
In reply to ceri:

Nails
 Fraser 06 Mar 2016
In reply to sheelba:

Staples.
drmarten 06 Mar 2016
In reply to sheelba:

Align the hood and the jacket collar on a north-south axis (use a compass for accuracy) and hit both repeatedly with a hammer and they will become magnetised due to changes at an atomic level. Check with a needle that both are magnetised. You can now 'stick' your magnetised hood to your magnetised collar, make sure you get the magnetisation correct or the hood will float above the collar.

mp3ferret 06 Mar 2016
In reply to sheelba:

He did say permanently - so; gaffa tape of course.
In reply to sheelba:

More seriously...

Add a popper at each end of the Velcro. This will stop the Velcro starting to unravel, whisky still allowing you to remove the hood when necessary.

Either buy a popper kit and tool from somewhere like Pennine Outdoor or Point North, or get your local repair shop to do it.
OP sheelba 06 Mar 2016
In reply to sheelba:

hmmm ask a stupid question....I was thinking of glueing it on for some reason, sewing probably more sensible
OP sheelba 07 Mar 2016
In reply to captain paranoia:
Thanks, turns out it wasn't such a stupid question. It's a buffalo style jacket and the hood is certainly too thick to sew at home. A popper is a nice idea though I'm not sure where I'd attach it, going to a clothing repair shop today. Fabric glue would definitely be cheaper but I'm guessing not strong enough.
Post edited at 09:12
 Prof. Outdoors 07 Mar 2016
In reply to sheelba:

Fabric glue in the velcro could be worth trying before you resort to the sewing kit.

For the last 15-20 years I have used the Buffalo Mountain shirt and an old Mardale pertex/pile jacket with Buffalo and Montane hoods respectively. These use velcro and neither have ever showed any sign of coming off inadvertently. Is the velcro clean or has it got bits in which will reduce the effectiveness of the velcro.

I do note that Mardale pertex/pile smocks now use zip on hoods.
Removed User 07 Mar 2016
In reply to Prof. Outdoors:

I find in winter climbing if you stash slings round your neck they often partially pull the hood off on removal.
 PeterM 07 Mar 2016
In reply to sheelba:
Hi, I had this problem years ago and resolved it with snap fasteners a la http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=snap%20fasteners&qs=n&form=QBIDMH&pq=sn...
I found ice and snow would eventually clog the Velcro and the hood could get loose esp. in high winds. Did it for my Buffalo and Mardale jacket (so I could use the Buff exped hood) - Three poppers one at each end, one in the middle. Apologies if this has been already mentioned- but haven't read the whole thread.

Cheers,
Peter
Post edited at 10:41
In reply to sheelba:

Popper/snap fastener through the ends of the velcro and the entire layers of the garment. May be better to cut the Velcro back a bit to make room, and make it easier to fit the popper.

You'll need a big popper; 10mm or so.

This setup is commonly used on gaiters with Velcro closures, for the same reason.
OP sheelba 07 Mar 2016
In reply to sheelba:

Thanks, will give poppers a go. It's a Montane jacket but the problem is exactly as you said Peter the front of the velcro gets clogged with ice and snow and then high winds can start to detach the hood just when you really need it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...