UKC

Runner with frostbite

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 drolex 09 Mar 2016

Glossop MRT shared an interesting post for those running outside these days, after a runner got 2nd degree frostbite on Bleaklow
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1133367253362567&id=16904...

In hindsight the recommendations are quite obvious, but it shows how easy one can get caught off guard.
Post edited at 08:58
 plyometrics 09 Mar 2016
In reply to drolex:
Interesting post. I've always struggled with cold hands and feet. Whilst I work hard to protect my hands due to reynauds, I struggle with my feet and have become accustomed to no longer feeling them in the winter running in the fells and particularly on the occasions I go out on the bike.

However, sitting here with frost nip on two toes from an incredibly cold bike ride, I need to start taking the feet far more seriously. Whilst it's only straddling the fence between nip and early frostbite (ie it's red and blistered), I can safely say it's absolute f***ing agony and it's taking ages to heal.

It's definitely something everyone needs to be mindful of, particularly in those situations that don't feel that extreme, (like my bike ride) as the outcome of thinking it'll be alright once you've warmed up could be quite serious.
Post edited at 09:40
 nniff 09 Mar 2016
In reply to plyometrics:

I use to suffer from cold toes on my bike, but have now fixed the problem. The answer is neoprene overshoes and Hot-hands handwarmers. They're like tea bags and get warm when they come into contact with air. Put them inside the overshoes, on top of the mesh of your shoes over your toes and bingo. They last for ten hours, but if you only do a short ride you can wrap them up tight in a plastic bag and they'll shut down. Take them out and off they go again.
 plyometrics 09 Mar 2016
In reply to nniff:

Yup, use hand-warmers all the time in my mitts. Couldn't live without them running. Just never thought of using them in combination with neoprene overshoes, which I know I need!

Cheers
 Dark-Cloud 09 Mar 2016
In reply to drolex:

It always puzzles me people running in the cold with just shorts or 3/4 on as I assume looking at the photos (I haven't got time to read it all) this chap has done, no matter how hot you run exposed skin is never a good idea if the weather gets bad.
rob sykes 09 Mar 2016
In reply to drolex:

very interesting. i wish the runner a speedy recovery.

as an aside, edale mountain rescue tweeted a link to an article by fell monkey about getting hypothermia during a run:

http://fellmonkey.com/2016/02/21/hypothermia-as-a-lifestyle-choice/#more-13...

Simon Caldwell 09 Mar 2016
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

No, he was wearing full length (but thin) trousers
 Dave Todd 09 Mar 2016
In reply to rob sykes:

Thanks for posting that link Rob. It's a terrifying read and a 'close-to-home' cautionary tale.
 Dark-Cloud 09 Mar 2016
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

Ah, OK, like I said, just scan read
iusedtoclimb 09 Mar 2016
In reply to drolex:

I was thinking about this on Saturday morning - i was running through snow and melting snow with wet feet getting colder and colder!!

Should have worn my sealskinz!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...