UKC

Fellman

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Mapman 09 Mar 2016
Hi All
A couple of my customers are headed for the Fellman. They're talking about rules regards maps. Are there any stipluations on which maps? And is it like the 3 Peaks where you have to bring a hat too?
I'd appreciate this and can forward your thoughts to two chaps in need!
D
 Chris the Tall 10 Mar 2016
In reply to Mapman:

http://www.fellsman.org.uk/?page_id=213

Minimum is the Landranger, but you can carry others provided they cover the whole area. Printouts are not allowed.

Bear in mind this event started out as a challenge walk and has only recently started to attract high numbers of runners, so the rules may seem at bit outdated/unusual. At least, that's what I've been told.
 thedatastream 10 Mar 2016
In reply to Mapman:

The rules are pretty clear on what's required -- http://www.fellsman.org.uk/?page_id=245

Don't skimp on the clothing or kit. No, really. Especially as it has moved two weeks earlier this year. Every year people drop out from getting too cold, especially the chap who decompressed his stomach all over the field at Cray. Into the nice warm ambulance for you sir.

Having said all that it's a great event and I'd cheerfully do it again -- http://jptds.blogspot.co.uk/2015/04/the-fellsman-2015.html
 Dark-Cloud 10 Mar 2016
In reply to thedatastream:

OP, it's called the Fellsman

Haven't looked at the kit list but it probably under the FRA guidelines for kit isn't it ?

> Don't skimp on the clothing or kit. No, really. Especially as it has moved two weeks earlier this year. Every year people drop out from getting too cold, especially the chap who decompressed his stomach all over the field at Cray. Into the nice warm ambulance for you sir.

Second that one, I was out on the course watching a few friends and some folk were coming into Dent in a real state, i saw a lot pack it in there, the weather was terrible, wind rain, snow on the tops, was grim enough just seeing people at the CP's never mind over the tops.

It gives people a false sense of security seeing Bragg and Perry rock up in shorts but the speed they were moving gives little chance of being cold.......and even then they would have the appropriate kit in a very small bag.

Simon Caldwell 10 Mar 2016
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

> probably under the FRA guidelines for kit isn't it ?

The requirements are greater than the standard FRA list, and you must comply with every detail.

They even check your shoes, if they're looking a bit worn (holes in the uppers etc) then they won't let you use them, they'd rather you use a brand new pair and put up with the resulting blisters!

A bit OTT in my opinion, but it's their event, their rules, and well worth putting up with, it's a great route.

To the OP - if after looking at their site you're still unsure about anything then drop them an email, they're very helpful.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...