UKC

"The Reserve Rope" BBC Radio 4

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Howard J 11 Mar 2016
I haven't seen any mention of this drama which was broadcast on BBC Radio 4 earlier this week, about the first ascent of the Matterhorn, and starring Damien Lewis as Edward Whymper. I haven't listened to it yet myself, but it's available on iPlayer and I've downloaded it for a long train journey next week.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0746phk
 hairy51 11 Mar 2016
In reply to Howard J:

Good spot... have downloaded as well.
 chris bedford 11 Mar 2016
In reply to Howard J:

Nice view of the Italian ridge....
 trish1968 11 Mar 2016
In reply to Howard J:

Brill thanks for that link
 winhill 11 Mar 2016
In reply to Howard J:

Heard some of this by mistake yesterday, it comes across as a typical radio play 4, not especially great, lots of arguing about tents.
 malk 11 Mar 2016
In reply to winhill:

it didn't transport me back in time..not at all what i was expecting people from that era to speak and sound like..

In reply to malk:

I was very disappointed by it.
 veteye 11 Mar 2016
In reply to Howard J:

You reminded me that I caught the tail end of it and suddenly realised what it was about.Despite the negative comments I'll give it a listen, as there is so little about our collective interest in mainstream media.
 Raymondo 15 Mar 2016
In reply......

There was (is) an excellent documentary on YouTube about Whymper's first ascent, called Tatort Matterhorn (Crimescene Matterhorn) which, as a docudrama really captures the era (tweed coats 'n' all) very well.
Maybe worth a watch before listening to radio 4, LOL.

However, it's all in German, but I can speak a word or two so that was ok for me. Maybe not for others.
Anyway, link is......
youtube.com/watch?v=d7YkHxw4NiY&

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...